F40 LM Restoration | Page 85 | FerrariChat

F40 LM Restoration

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Traveller, Jan 29, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Swobber

Swobber Karting

Mar 25, 2014
    Any reason why you dont use AN banjo fittings, in anotherwise no-compromise build?
    Would finish the setup, rather than the look a like jubilee ones.

Cheers for sharing this epic build with all of us!

2. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Those are AN fittings.

3. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I think Swobber is referring to post 2090 that appears to be 2 water-cooled wastegate actuators and as I see it, the water lines are AN, but the vacuum/boost line is "fake" with an AN style collar but a hose clamp doing the actual sealing. For me, if I am using a hose clamp (and they are just fine for plumbing), then I just use the clamp over the hose on the nipple. I don't see the point in the dressing of a non-functional AN style collar. And for very low pressure vacuum/boost line, AN is not necessary, so I'd just run a simple vacuum line with a Kevlar or cloth braid on it. Lighter, smaller, more flexible, and no abrasion of the jacket on adjacent parts.

And a very nitpicky detail with which many might disagree.

4. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #2104 Traveller, Apr 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well thanks to suggestions on this forum particularly Mrknowitall, who genuinely lives up to his name, we are looking at trying to improve the wastegate setup, so stand by as we progress.

Meanwhile another general shot and cross bracing in situ, albeit temporarily.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #2105 Traveller, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
    This project has ballooned horribly in time and thus cost terms. Initially it was maybe four months and then as we dug deeper and kept digging, when we got to the crankshaft bearings we knew we were in a different scale of restoration completely, hence 'nut and bolt'. So we have travelled from a 4 month overhaul to probably an 18 month full restoration.

In short it will be what it will be and that means sometime this year!

6. jesasinowski

jesasinowski Rookie

Mar 24, 2011
    I, for one, greatly appreciate the opportunity to come along for the ride, virtually speaking!

Thank you, Traveller, for continuing to share your journey with us!

7. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    You are welcome. It is actually somewhat of a symbiotic relationship as I too benefit with the knowledge on this forum, witness the latest on wastegates.

8. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #2108 Traveller, Apr 2, 2014
    Meanwhile, back at the workbench work, the last piece of metalwork is in manufacture, the old one being simply unfit for purpose. Any ideas?

9. Swobber

Swobber Karting

Mar 25, 2014
    New dual flux capacitor bracket?

Any picture of "scrapped" part?

10. F40LM Addict

F40LM Addict Karting

Jan 4, 2014
  11. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #2111 Traveller, Apr 2, 2014
    Here it is, which also serves as a good yardstick of where we were 14 months ago and a comforting reminder of just how far we have come.

12. Swobber

Swobber Karting

Mar 25, 2014
    Catch tank then?

13. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I'm just coming to end of app development just like that! Even with best of designing ahead it has become 2-3x timeframe once you get into it you find things change and need more to do than everyone thought and said it would take!

Defense budgets and acquisition cost estimate blowouts are even worse than software development or car restoration we can reassure ourselves with ;)

Awesome thread to follow.. the F40 is solid gold and worth every penny and timeless. I hope you keep it for MANY years, it's in great and worthy hands!

14. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #2114 Traveller, Apr 2, 2014
  15. Pixel-Snapper

Pixel-Snapper Karting

Mar 19, 2013
    Middle England
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I can understand that, I've been doing my 'nut and bolt' for 10 years now.

I'm pushing for July/August but I haven't even painted it yet.

16. taz4432

taz4432 Rookie

Jan 21, 2014
    Toronto/Detroit
    Full Name:
    Salomon
    Just don't specify July/August of what year and you can definitely meet your goal :)

17. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #2117 Traveller, Apr 3, 2014
  18. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #2118 Traveller, Apr 3, 2014
  19. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I'm not sure what was so wrong with the original but the new one is certainly real purdy! :D

20. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I know this is where the old one was, but couldn't it be positioned lower? Or would that cause issues with too much oil ending up in there?

IMO everything that can be freely positioned should be as low as possible for improved handling, and if possible within the wheelbase.
    Pete

21. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    All sensible but every LM has them in that position (as above) and I assume for a very good reason given that many privateers raced them and clearly had there been a good reason to mount it lower, if it did not bring with it problems, surely they would have done so. Not Ferrari, Michelotto or privateers engineers, none of them moved it.

That aside, I still wish to keep close to LM and this cars originality where possible and do not want to reinvent the wheel, and ours is actually lower than the Michelotto LMs due to running air boxes but proven to have worked in this car in this location in the past so maybe we have a good compromise.

Overall, I think your point about too much oil ending up there is probably correct.

22. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #2122 Traveller, Apr 4, 2014
  23. Davey S1

Davey S1 Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Cardiff, Wales
    Full Name:
    David
    Tim

Is there a provisional date set for the first drive?

I'm guessing this will this be a few gentle laps on a closed circuit rather than on the road?

24. Maxige

Maxige Karting

Jun 5, 2005
    London/Milan
    Full Name:
    Max
    Tim, are the airboxes painted in shiny black in original LMs?

Painted like this look somehow out of place there...

25. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    No, as they don't run them as no need for filters but we are looking for longevity. Such as they are they are mattish, and it is something we are looking at. We inherited gloss but looking at the history they appeared Matt.