Driver Weight handicapping Idea. | FerrariChat

Driver Weight handicapping Idea.

Discussion in 'F1' started by Chicko, Apr 4, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chicko

Chicko Formula 3

With all the talk about drivers pushing there weights down as far as possible currently, some to worrying levels (Martin Brundle said that one of the top drivers told him that he fainted at a publicity event due to his restricted diet recently), and there being a big handicap for larger drivers this year being even more evident due to the teams struggling to get the cars weight down to the minimum car weight.

I was wondering if the FIA could/should introduce a handicapping system to balance out the drivers weights.

Would a simple system of weights under the drivers seating position to bring every drivers weight up to the match the heaviest driver on the grid? The lighter drivers would still have bit of an advantage of there "weight" having a lower centre of gravity, but surely it would be a fairer then what the situation is currently..

2. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #2 kraftwerk, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    It's not a bad idea really. Their health is a concern, unless you're Massa.

4. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Then you'd see drivers eating buffaloes just before being weighted and taking massive doses of laxatives right after or becoming bulimic.

5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yup. And they'll be truly ****ed if Tony Steward or an equivalent hamburger enthusiast joins.

6. SWB

SWB Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2006
    Toronto & Ottawa
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Now just make the Pirellis skinny and F1 will have come full circle! LOL maybe they can race at the famed Hamburgering aka The Flamebroiled Hell.

7. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I think something has to be done.... Dr H wrote about this BS recently; guys getting sick and it's just not healthy. That they're even allowed to do it with all the so called 'doctors' and physios etc looking over their shoulders constantly I find amazing & alarming.

Simple solution? Just raise the weight limit.

Cheers,
    Ian

8. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    In nearly any other sporting endeavor(except being a jockey, and...?), being bigger isn't penalized. In fact, it's most often rewarded. I don't have any sympathy for those who are too big in racing...stop whining, pick a different sport or racing series, or just shutup. What's wrong with having just a few areas in life where being smaller is a good thing?

9. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    So..they can't drive fast, they gotta manage the tyres, the engine, the fuel efficiency, and now they gotta watch their weight and race without drinking bottles.

F1 just keeps on getting better.

10. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Do we even need drivers? Everything else is now computerized and done by telemtry. They can be replaced with a 1 oz computer chip and some servos...

Is there anything in the rules thats states the driver has to be a human being?

;)

11. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    LOL @ "Tony Steward"

12. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Schumy proved it doesn't have to. ;)

13. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Obviously something has to be done. IMO a 10KG weight increase is more than fair. But weight matching...It's going too far.

It's as if I wanted to do the Grand National this weekend and complain that the jockeys only reach to my knees and they all have to carry extra weight to match mine. There has to be a limit.

14. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Teams would just add 10 kg in low CG ballast and nothing would change.

15. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Sorry, what I meant was the weight including driver. Currently it's 691, modify it to 701.

16. Chicko

Chicko Formula 3

In a different form, most fighting sports like Boxing, MMA Judo etc etc have weight restrictions / equalizing rules. And their is handicapping systems in place in sports like Sailing.

I agree that physical advantages are just apart of sport, but i also think that it would be good to know that all F1 drivers competing on an equal footing in terms of weight.

Mark Webber during i think 2010 used to be on average about 0.2 to 0.3 seconds behind Seb in Qually, and i remember Redbull saying at the time that this gap could be put down to Marks weight disadvantage.

17. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Yes I know.
    Engineers would still want emaciated drivers and then put the additional weight in lower CG ballast.

18. wfo900

wfo900 Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2003
    Annapolis
    Full Name:
    Rich C
    This doesn't seem so hard. I raced Karts very seriously in the 60s and they had a very fair weight handicap rule back then for single engine karts. If they could figure it out 50 years ago it shouldn't be so hard for F1. Gary Anderson said just stick ballast right behind the driver where it wouldn't interfere with a cars CG- seems pretty workable.