The British Columbia Thread! | Page 444 | FerrariChat

The British Columbia Thread!

Discussion in 'Canada' started by steve2814, Nov 23, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Imagine if you live in Vancouver and you are driving with your family on highway to Kellowna. Then in the middle of nowhere, they seize your car. So in order to go back to your house, the whole family need to take a taxi to Kellowna airport, and fly back to Vancouver. Then you need to do the same thing when collecting your car.
    This law is crazy. They don't have enough infrastructures to support this law, yet they implemented the law by force. Most accidents are caused by inattention, like speaking on the phone, drinking coffee, eating, etc; while driving, not 40kmh over speed limit. But they don't seize the car of those inattention driver. So it is very clear that guys in the empire are studying very hard of how to squeeze people for more profit. In Canada, if you make huge income, you end-up being taxed 50%. Then the rest 50% that you put into your pocket, when you spend it, you will be taxed again for 12% (gst). Some more the property tax, insurance, bills, etc; At the end, you only pocket about 30% of what you earn. Then you still have to deal with this kind of illegal tax-collection. Man......

2. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Just got a quote from ICBC for 2013 458 Spider :
    - Collision and comprehensive deductible : $20,000.
    - Premium : $15,000.

2014 S63 AMG :
    - Deductibles : $6,000
    - Premium : $5,500

I end-up just getting the basic for the 458, which is about $2,500. Invest a go pro camera to record everything, in case. For the S63, car is coming in May, so still thinking whether to get only basic too, as this one will be the daily horse.
    Last year they quoted me $12,000 when I was on international DL. Just got my N-DL, and the quote increased to $15,000. Btw, last year also ended-up just getting the basic which was $2,100. I wonder that the empire keep promoting accident rate is dropping because they are being so successful in safety campaign, but how come the premium rate or even the basic keep increasing???

3. crazy canuck

crazy canuck Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast
    Because there's no competition.

4. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Rookie

Feb 9, 2014
    Pacific Coast
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #11079 Dragonfly, Feb 11, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
    You make valid points and I agree with what you're saying.

However, IMHO if you are going to travel BC's rural roads "in nowhere land" while driving in a performance-oriented manner, why not just use a radar detector? The forewarning of such a device, combined with the "clear sight lines" of many of the rural highways, should be ample defense against getting caught and towed. I think any responsible person with discretion and patience who has the intention of deliberately driving quickly for pleasure should be able to keep themselves out of trouble.

5. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Radar detector alone wont save your arse. These guys are very good in hiding, once you are able to see them, they have recorded your speed. Is there any reliable laser jammer out there in the market?

6. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Rookie

Feb 9, 2014
    Pacific Coast
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #11081 Dragonfly, Feb 11, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
    I know. However, thankfully there are a great deal of rural highways and backroads in BC that see very little traffic for the most part and are seldom patrolled by police. There are many routes that have long stretches with lots of visibility for anticipating or spotting cops before they catch your speed, allowing time to decelerate back down to the posted limit.

I live in the countryside, and the roads in my area have a 60 km/h limit. Most of the roads are relatively flat straightaways with clear sight ahead for kilometers. It is RIDICULOUS that if I go 100 km/h on a flat, straight 60 km/h backroad in the countryside with no traffic and perfect visibility, and I get caught by a cop, my car will get impounded. Consequently, I have developed habits of extreme awareness and caution when it comes to spotting and predicting police presence. This doesn’t necessarily mean I’m tense while speeding, though. It takes some smarts to speed periodically and manage to avoid getting nabbed, but it’s perfectly feasible.

The highest speed limit in British Columbia is 110 km/h. This means that there is no public road anywhere in BC where one can travel 150 km/h and not get their vehicle towed and impounded should they get caught. So, as many an automotive enthusiast and speeder have said: “Just don’t get caught.”

Here’s a video I took traveling along the Coq: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1QqEV8iJ64&list=UUz-3p3C9Fw0RTBWCqS0gwxQ&index=5]Cruising the Coquihalla in a semi - YouTube[/ame] As you can see, a sizeable portion of the stretch shown is out of view and/or accessibility from opposing traffic. Armed with a radar detector and good judgement, IMO this is an ideal scenario for someone who wishes to exceed the posted limit, as the risk of getting caught is minimized.

Here’s a rant of sorts that I found interesting, regarding the “excessive speeding” impoundment law: Travel Warning: BC Speeding Laws and Police Stranding Drivers?

Check this out: http://drivesmartbc.ca/equipment/radar-and-laser-jammers

7. herragge

herragge Karting

Sep 15, 2007
    Alberta
    Yes radar detectors work. I have been using them for a decade now. For rural highways they are superb and will pick up something well before your line of sight will. I have frequently driven from Vancouver to Calgary and it is great in the mountains too. Of course you will buying a good one. I use Valentine 1.

Radar detectors are not illegal to purchase or use. Laser jammers are. Laser jammers interfere with police speed measurements. Radar detectors do not; they merely identify you are being measured. This is provincially dependent and I am certain this the case for Alberta and I have been pulled over a few times in BC with my radar detector out and no issues whatsoever.

Cheers

8. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Those guys know very well that many people are using radar detector, so every hunting season, they will switch off their radar and use laser to check for speed.
    But basically the point here is not to play hide and seek with them. The problem is that the limits are being set too low, especially in metro Vancouver. And some areas with sudden drop limit, will pose a high risk for your car being seized. So people must fight for their car not to be seized, because the government doesn't have enough infrastructures to support people's life without a car, even for one second. Imagine if you live in Vancouver, and being seized in the middle of nowhere near Kellowna. Then you (or maybe the whole family) must take a taxi to Kellowna airport and fly home to Vancouver. Fly again to collect your car. And this is happening without any court decision. What's going on with "innocent until proven guilty??????" Are we on something new : "execute first, proves later???"
    Driving while using phone, drinking coffee, day dreaming, getting angry, etc; are posing higher risk of accident than driving 40kmh over speed limit. And people who do these when driving, are those who are driving the speed limit, or even below. Their car should be seized too.

9. Gmaccormack

Gmaccormack Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2010
    Don't speed then. Or speed get caught and try to have the law thrown out in court. Those are your choices.

10. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    "Don't speed then." This argument has been used by the empire, everytime people complain about police being a judge and executioner at the same time. This is so misleading the truth. The fact here is, if somebody is acting against this strong-man law, complaining about this law is against the democracy value; DOES NOT mean that he\she likes speeding or a risky driver. The empire is playing blind, ignoring the fact that almost everybody is driving over the limit, except those driving while texting, drinking coffee, or day dreaming. Try to drive through the Lions Gate for example, even buses are over the limit.
    One of the driving rules, is that you have to follow the traffic flow at 80% of the speed of other cars around. Some stretches with sudden drop limit, have been the salmon fishing ground for our predator (not the black bear, of course). Cars are being cherry-picked to be seized.They don't want to change the limit on purpose. They know almost everybody is breaking the law, so when they need money, they just go fishing. We (the tax payer) are the fish.

11. Gmaccormack

Gmaccormack Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2010
    So if the speed limit is 100 km and the traffic around you is doing 120 if you do 80% of their speed you're still under the speed limit. The highest speed limit on any road in canada is 110km and it's not likely to change. Good luck changing it. It's going to cost a lot more then your spider cost in lawyer fees to have a shot at changing it. The truth is no one who's car has been seized have tried to have the law thrown out. Yet. I'm sure it will happen. I agree the law is bullsh*t. So don't go more then 40km over the speed limit unless you're prepared to be the first person to challenge the law.

12. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Yes, that's my personal speed limit when not many cars around, posted limit + 39. And I have a funny feeling that many people are using this number as well.

13. beemac

beemac Rookie

Mar 1, 2014
    Hi gents,

Just a quick note of introduction - I'm a writer for the Sun/Province/Post based out of N. Van, and I write for a few other places as well (BBC, R&T). Hope to see a few of you at upcoming meets as the weather improves. Been a Ferrari fan since '89, so if there's ever anything local going on, please drop me a line - [email protected]

cheers,
    -Brendan

14. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    Hi Brendan - welcome to Fchat. looks like a little bit of winter still left out there.

15. beemac

beemac Rookie

Mar 1, 2014
    Thanks - a little bit, yes.

Here's a small tidbit from a story I'm working on. If anyone remembers the old videogame Test Drive II: the Duel (F40 vs. 959) - that company later became EA Canada, and then made the Need for Speed games. I've been talking with some of the programmers, and they rented a 308 to record the sound they used for the F40. I have a pic of one of the guys in it out at UBC.

16. furious_ferrari

furious_ferrari F1 Rookie

Nov 25, 2005
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Welcome to Fchat Brendan. This BC thread has died down a bit in the past year. Hopefully when the weather gets better we can get things going again.

There are several events that happen through out the year. I can help you out with dates as the time gets closer.

17. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    #11092 PureEuroM3, Mar 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. Forza355

Forza355 Formula 3

Jan 19, 2006
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Derek
    650S Spider! Nice!

19. ffeverd

ffeverd F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Vancouver, Canada
    So has anybody heard of this new Bugatti in Vancouver?

20. rmk

rmk Formula 3

Mar 24, 2002
  21. ffeverd

ffeverd F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Vancouver, Canada
    yeah apparently there's also a black/red Vitesse inbound.

22. conscom

conscom Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2008
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Any better luck with Canadian Direct Insurance?

23. rmk

rmk Formula 3

Mar 24, 2002
    What a weekend to be in Vancouver! Visiting from Cowtown and have already spotted a few cars: White w/ grey stripes Scuderia, Silverstone 430, red 430 spider, red F12, and a red Gallardo coupe. Also every assorted Benz, BMW, Audi. Sure beats the dust, gravel, and wet snow that is Calgary right now.

24. ffeverd

ffeverd F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Vancouver, Canada
    You're in for a treat. Beautiful weather for this weekend.

25. furious_ferrari

furious_ferrari F1 Rookie

Nov 25, 2005
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Perfect weekend for car spotting in Vancouver!