Barn find stories? | Page 14 | FerrariChat

Barn find stories?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by atheyg, Jul 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tinpan

tinpan Rookie

Apr 14, 2014
    #326 tinpan, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Oh man, you guys are good...busted, that is indeed my father and this is the very same Alvis.

The connection to Ferrari, is that he was loved/loves Ferrari's and he had the British shop paint it red with black wheels so it would match a Ferrari. It drove them crazy.

Here is a picture taken of him a couple hours ago while we researched the ViN on the Ferrari. I asked him if he knew where the original keys were and we couldn't find them. When we got to the car they were in the ignition from when he last drove it in there.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    El Wayne is the man.
    Sometimes he's so good its eerie.

3. tinpan

tinpan Rookie

Apr 14, 2014
    #328 tinpan, Apr 16, 2014
    So the VIN is 9153, Kerry is correct. That had to be about 14 years ago. My son was 3 and I was outside smoking my pipe. Luke loved standing on the seat of my Packard Patrician and playing with the steering wheel. In my infinite wisdom I let him stand on the Ferrari's seat, while it was in the front yard, and play with the steering wheel.

All of a sudden I heard a vroom and the car launched down the driveway. I was able to jump through the window and kill the ignition before it hit anything. He did manage to drive it about 30 feet. So, my father has driven this car, my brother, my son...but I haven't.

I think dad said the 250 was white with a red leather interior. He has the vin somewhere on some maintenance records. I think he even has the original owners manual for it too. He's looking for it as we speak but it could be years before we find it.

4. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    You happened to wander onto the one site populated with users like Kerry Chesbro (keeper of the 330 GT Registry), Tom Wilson (keeper of the 250 GTE Regsiter and Newsletter), and plenty of other car nuts with too much time on their hands. :)

Thanks for sharing the pics!

5. GBTR6

GBTR6 Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2011
    Titletown, USA
    Full Name:
    Perry Rondou
    That is a great picture. Good on your dad. I hope I live that long, and most importantly, that well.

Perry

6. epdowd

epdowd Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Wilson
    Thanks for the complement El Wayne, but an Alvis??? I never would have come up with that one, let alone have a photo of the actual car and owner! You are good...

7. tinpan

tinpan Rookie

Apr 14, 2014
    Yes I have although the learning curve is like drinking water from a fire hose. I'm still shaking my head though, I still can't believe you figured everything out on the Alvis and Kerry was spot on on the VIN for the 330. The Alvis thing was unfigureoutable...you even pegged my name.

I do have some sorting out to do on the 330, I see another Ferrari 330 GT 2+2 sn 8251 that was sold and also advertised as the Turin show car for 1966. I wonder how you can tell which one actually was or if they had several there. It's a different color it looks to be silver.

Also, the registry lists this "40 DCZ/6 carbs" in the comments and alloy wheels for 9153. I can tell you it has 3 carbs and wire wheels.

I wonder if there are any pictures of either car at the Turin car show in 66.

Anyway, the good news is that dear old dad is finally relenting and letting me start bringing some of these back to life. We've figured out the 330 GT is a very cool car, the Facel Vega is a very cool car low production car ( 1 of 193), the Alvis 4.3 ( they made 63 i think in a 4 year period and this is the only 2 dr drop head coupe) . The copper Packard is a 56 400 is needs to be sold, but the Ivory one is a 39 and one of 20 made that year, hint hint, last hint cause you guys are good.

So, the big challenge will be getting them out where we can open the doors and clean them up and stop any further deterioration. Then we see what needs to be done to get them at least road worthy from a mechanical point of view. I would like to see if I can at least address mechanical restorations while we evaluate our options.

Each of these four cars would be worthy of a frame off restoration but I can say that isn't in the budget, hell, even one wouldn't be. I do however, own 4 Packards of my own so I will probably use my disposable income and end up selling my Packards to put the money into these.

Maybe I should start a separate thread on 9153 because i will have a lot of questions on that one and can post some pics if you guys like.

I will also contact Tom on the 250 registry, I think my dad has his bill of sale for that car and we can figure out the vin for that and the time dad owned it. If he does have the original owners manual we might even be able to forward it to the current owner.

8. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    Great photos. My Ivory GTE came through Belgium as well. I wish I had a photo of it out in the wild like this. What year was this approximately?

9. tinpan

tinpan Rookie

Apr 14, 2014
    It would be 1969, 1970 or maybe 1971.

So... do these count as barn finds?

10. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    John, not only was your car originally ivory (Avorio 19375), but it also had a red leather interior (Pelle Rossa VM 3171). I show the original owner as Robert Lallemand of Ghent, Belgium. Perhaps this name will be familiar to Col. Adair?

11. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    #336 ArtS, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    Tinpan,

Apparently, much has happened in the day and a half since I last posted!

First, Weber 40 DCZ/6 is the model of two barrel carburetor that is on your car, there are three of them. There is a little label on the carburetor body that should say so.

Second, the wheels could have been exchanged at any time.

Third, don't take the offers that you have received for the car - at least not yet. If you decide to sell, barnfinds are hot and if left untouched and marketed correctly (probably via auction) will give you the maximum return.

Fourth, If you decide to keep the car, I would advise having the car gone through and tuned up properly by one of the gurus of vintage Ferrari V-12s. It will cost less than you think, and really let you know where you stand and will minimize certain risks. If you are in the northeast I can make a recommendation (others will guide you if you are elsewhere).

Fifth, if you recommission the car, Tom Yang's Ferrari Restoration Site will be a valuable resource.

Sixth, you can see what may be your car here: http://www.cavallino.com/images/samples/160-lettere.pdf .

Regards,

Art S.

12. tinpan

tinpan Rookie

Apr 14, 2014
    To everyone, what a wonderful forum this is and what a great reception. I appreciate all of the advice and tips everyone has offered.

Art, I figured that one out yesterday, the Weber model number. That would be very cool if this turned out to have been displayed at the Turin Auto show. I will have to hunt for a second way to confirm that and see if I can find a better copy of that photograph.

I also appreciate your advice on not selling it to first offers. Dad still owns the car and I can tell you he won't sell it to me or anyone else. As long as dad is standing he will own the car. He is also very competitive. We also travel in Packard circles, there is a lady that is 107 years old that still drives her Packard. I am pretty sure dad thinks he can beat that record. He thinks he is invincible and if you think I am kidding just google Philip adair and Burma Banshees.

I have thought about this car and the others dad has for years. The Ivory Packard that is blocking the Ferrari is also a V12, hence the other Ferrari connection. I have a shop that is local to me that is comfortable working on the Packards, the Facel Vega and the Alvis. He doesn't want to touch the Ferrari so that has always been a challenge for me to figure out what to do with it. It looks like there is a place in Baltimore, that was suggested to me, that can work on the Ferrari which would be good since it's relatively close, a couple hour drive.

My first challenge will be getting the Packard out and up to the other shop so we can get started on that one. That will happen in a couple of months when he is done with my Packard Super Eight and has the room for the twelve.

I think what I will do with this Ferrari is have it towed to Baltimore, have a professional look at it and get an estimate on bring it it back to life. I know it needs new exhaust, I know it's due for a new timing chain, it may or it may not need an engine rebuild, clearly it needs paint and to have the wheels reconditioned. The interior is surprisingly intact, I'll post some photos later.

Gotta run but again I thank everyone, maybe we'll see dad riding around in this car again.

13. mattymouse33

mattymouse33 F1 Rookie

Oct 25, 2004
    We'll set aboot ye!
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    I think we're finding this just as fascinating as you :). Amazing and Happy Birthday to your Father, good on him

14. epdowd

epdowd Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Wilson
    John, thought you would be interested to know that your old GTE, 4139 GT has popped up in London and is undergoing a very thorough restoration.

15. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
  16. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    Indeed. I have been in touch with the owner and he's giving it the care and attention it deserves.

I wish now that'd I'd kept it!

17. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    As a Series II it most likely was 3567 or 3921.

Do you have any idea where he sold it? 3567 surfaced in UK in the 1970s - and died there. I think the radio antenna on 3921 sits slightly higher up on the front fender, but am not 100% sure.

18. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #343 abstamaria, May 7, 2014
    For those who couldn't access the link on Manila Sports Car Club Facebook page, here is the photo and the caption:

In 1988, members of the Marikina Antic Car Club (MACC) spotted two suspicious characters extracting an old sports car from a lingerie warehouse in Pasig. The two men, later identified only as “Serge” and “Andy,” were rabid members of that disreputable group the Manila Sports Car Club, according to the MACC report. “Can you imagine, they have no De Sotos in that club!” exclaimed a MACC member in disbelief.

The unpainted sports car obviously had been in storage for a long while. MACC experts called to the scene could not identify the strange car, whose doors hinged at the roof, but believed it was Rumanian in origin. "It has little value," concluded the MACC experts.

The two MSCC members loaded the unusual old car onto a flatbed truck, and it was seen nevermore.

19. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    Indeed 300 SL Gullwing.

20. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    #345 19633500GT, May 8, 2014
  21. ryanbushell

ryanbushell Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Ryan Bushell
    Superb Paul!!!

22. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    #347 Enigma Racing, Sep 8, 2014
  23. Symoon

Symoon Karting

Jul 2, 2010
    under an umbrella
    Looks like a 1957-1960 Peerless GT, then named Warwick GT, 1960-1962, engine from triumph TR3.

Good find ! :)

24. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    #349 Enigma Racing, Sep 8, 2014
    Give the man a coconut !

1959 Peerless with the engine enlarged to 2.2 litres. Raced by my late father in law and uncovered last month. Destined to be my new race project if my wife lets me

Don't you just miss those sheepskin seat covers !

25. I16

I16 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2008
    Nice project Kim!
    Can source new lambskin seat covers if required OZ or NZ?