disabling ASR permanently | FerrariChat

disabling ASR permanently

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by 456_MGTA, Apr 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 456_MGTA

456_MGTA Rookie

Jan 2, 2014
    Can someone please tell me if it is possible to completely shut down the ASR system? I don't mean flicking the switch turning it off, I mean completely disabling this function permanently, yes or no? If yes, how would I be able to shut it down......

Thanks

2. 550v12SABI

550v12SABI Karting

Mar 29, 2012
    Long Island, N.Y US
    Full Name:
    Steve in NY
    Don't know if that is possible unless you can do some ECU work done. However, I warn you that it maybe a huge mistake to do so, as these cars have tremendous power that most drivers do not have respect for.

Just my opinion

Doc_Dent likes this.
  3. 575 Maranello

575 Maranello Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2013
    So Cal
    I agree. Frankly my 575 is already a handful in sport mode. I don't turn off the ASR. For me the ASR makes driving it more secure for me. Conversely my Pantera will easily bite you if you don't respect it.

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    What is so difficult about putting the switch in ASR Off and leaving it there? Unless you do not like the little lamp tellling you it is off.

Would be much better to do that and have the option of turning it on when it is wet and slippery.

So the big question would be: Why do you want to do this?

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    If you do disable it never ever sell the car or let anyone else ever drive it.

It will be a liability to you for the rest of the cars life.

6. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Having serviced my cars at a Factory-authorized coach repair facility for twelve years, I've ssen the results of several owners who elected to drive their Maranellos with ASR switched off.

7. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    When I test drove my 575, I asked the salesman what car the most frequently crashed in the Ferrari line up. 550/575 was his response. Usually slow speed. Cold. Wet. Owner gives it too much power etc.

I race. I like a car moving around on the track.

On the road i agree with others, you'd be crazy to disengage it permanently.

But, if you do it, remember Carl's signature line and post the vin!

Philip

8. Flint Ironstag

Flint Ironstag Karting

Jun 30, 2013
    Houston, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Harris
    Objections duly noted, and I certainly wouldn't do it... BUT. Is it possible and easily reverted without ill after-effects?

9. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Here is the quote Phillip. Written by the great one.

10. Flint Ironstag

Flint Ironstag Karting

Jun 30, 2013
    Houston, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Harris
    LOL, that is an awesome sig, and one of the first things that struck me when reading the 456 archives. Still, there's no curiosity regarding the technical feasibility?

The general consensus is that it's a bad idea, though the OP might have a valid reason. Maybe he's building a wild ass 456 drift car. We don't know. The beauty of these forums is a free exchange of knowledge.

I hope someone in the know chimes in. Whether they would advise the OP to pursue this or not.

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Nope, no curiosity at all, even though it would be easy to do. You already have a switch that does that, so why bother?

12. alex550575430

alex550575430 Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2009
    LOS ANGELES, CA
    Full Name:
    LIN ALEX
    I still flip the ASR switch to turn it off in my 550 track car everytime I race.!!!

Alex

13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Alex- Do you race her in the rain with ASR off?

14. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    I did that occasionally too when I tracked my 550 but only after I learned the correct line around the track. The beauty of SPORT mode with ASR active is that if you made a bit of an error, you would feel it and then the ASR light would flicker if you didn't correct fast enough.

I never drive my 550 on the road without ASR active. I like my 550 too much to do that. Oh, I did it once alright! The first night I had my car in late December 2007. It was in the 20s that night and I had Michelin Pilot Sports on the car and I flicked off the ASR as I finished the turn on the ramp and entered and accelerated onto an Intersate. A lot of wheel spin in third and fourth gears. Then I flicked the ASR back on. I got that out of my system! ;)

15. alex550575430

Jun 21, 2009
    LOS ANGELES, CA
    Full Name:
    LIN ALEX
    Yes....

as for last week I was out at a race track practicing with the 550 under rain... I tried both ASR ON and OFF on the 550... With OFF mode it was really slipery and throattle control was difficult to modulate. With ON mode, the ASR kicks in all time and makes the car vertually undrivable... The 550 was fitted with Hoosier race tires.

Later in the afternoon, the rain got bigger, and no sign of slowing down... And since the circuit rental time was paid for, instead I drove down my 575 3 pedals street car with Bridgestone RE-11s... And it was fun,,,, The 575 ASR reacts much better than the 550 does... I tired both ON and OFF modes... When OFF, the 575 under the rain in the track is hard to drive... You can barely press down the gas pedal, and the rear tires spins in the water even before you can react to it. When driving with ON mode, the ASR seems to be on often, but much easier to keep the car in straight line.

Alex

16. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Alex- Big difference is the digital throttle on the 575M, designed to work with the F1 system, which really smooths out ASR inputs. With the mechanical throttle on the 550, ASR inputs are relatively gross, and you really feel them.

Of course, a later generation ABS/ASR also helps.

17. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    At high speeds in high gears not nearly as much. I have driven a 550 on Laguna Seca some and in those conditions it works quite well. At 3 digit speeds you notice it and it takes a little getting used to but eventually you can just ignore it. You are correct though, with the E throttle you often don't know it is working.

18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Brian- Thanks for the bigger picture.

19. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    This can still be a tire issue. Hoohoo R/A dry tire is not driveable wet period. Bridgestone is a wet/dry tire by design as a street tire. If you say that and run Hoohoo rains then I would suspect you still running a dry race suspension set up. Dialing down shocks is not enough. Rain does not like stiff! Your street 575 probably has a softer suspension than your 550.

20. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    This can still be a tire issue. Hoohoo R/A dry tire is not driveable wet period. Bridgestone is a wet/dry tire by design as a street tire. If you say that and run Hoohoo rains then I would suspect you still running a dry race suspension set up. Dialing down shocks is not enough. Rain does not like stiff! Your street 575 probably has a softer suspension than your 550.

21. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I can sympathize with the op becuase I really hate the 550 asr. It take to about the count of three to get your power back once it comes in. I ignore it on the street but don't drive like a fool there either plus I cheat with sticky tires. The r888 is a terrible dot racetire but it is semi street legal and sticks very well as a street tire at street plus speeds. Sticky tires below their theshold means asr is not coming on and the r888 is more stick than you ever need on street. Watch the legality ymmv. You can't do this with a Hoosier dot race tire.

Asr traction control generation means everything. On 550s we get on or off. On my z06 I got ON, competition mode (sort of on), and all OFF. On the boss 302 mustang Laguna whatever thing that traction control on will spank you for being bad then instantly give you throttle control so you can be bad again. Its like nirvana traction control. TC will only get better as the years go by and all the cars will drive like a Nissan GTR.

22. alex550575430

Jun 21, 2009
    LOS ANGELES, CA
    Full Name:
    LIN ALEX
    FBB,

You are so right about my 550 track car. It is a stiff dry setting with HooHoo R/A tires which is undrivable under rain. 575 street car with softer suspensions and RE-11s tires can still handle in the water. Two very different cars and setting here. And the 550 ASR ON is really dumb and slow I agree, But since it's an 18 years old car design, and we can turn it OFF anytime. I am completely OK with it.

TAZ,

Exactly, the 550 cable vs 575 electronic throattle control are night and day different especially when driving hard and agressive.

Thanks FBB and TAZ...

Alex

23. 360Spider_Russia

May 27, 2014
    Moscow, Russia
    Full Name:
    Alex
    when im turn off a ASR switch
    how i know about it?

24. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    A little lamp says ASR when you turn it off. When ASR is on, that ASR lamp only flashes at you when ASR kicks in to control wheelspin.

25. Lionworks Auto

Lionworks Auto Formula 3

Oct 16, 2013
    Worthington OH
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Sport mode will temper the ASR a little / enough to allow some spin of tires and less power loss...