Italian Automobile Festival of Speed, Feb 27-29 at TWS | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Italian Automobile Festival of Speed, Feb 27-29 at TWS

Discussion in 'Texas' started by GhostRider, Jan 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well, I did get up there Sunday. Just in time for the cold front! :(

I was hoping to see some cars out, but "lil' Bull" didn't bring his coat!
    Had to take him home. What's this about plates? Trouble on Hwy 6??

They weren't watching, as I drove home in a deluge!
    Car ran well however.

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Sounds like a great time, but what's this deal with the authorities?

Did they pull everyone over at once and check plates and insurance? Anyone get a speeding ticket?

What's up with the bent Pantera?

OK, forget all the bad news, I want to see more pics and get more info on that awesome vintage Ferrari. What is that? TdF or SwB 250? Oh my gosh! I would of given up the thousand things I had to do and driven down just to see that car.

3. woodlands_vt

woodlands_vt Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    The Woodlands, TX
    Some pictures from 2/28/04

4. woodlands_vt

woodlands_vt Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    The Woodlands, TX
  5. GhostRider

GhostRider Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Matt
    When we went on our backroads cruise after the car show Saturday, I and a few others got seperated from the group. I saw one Pantera behind me disappear with a cop at one point, so I slowed way down realizing what had happened--area residents had reported us all to the police. So the group ahead of me keeps on zooming along, and I end up slowing down enough that I get left behind. About 10mins later I round the corner coming to an intersection and there is the 250, a a couple of more Panteras all pulled over together. Cop sees me, points at me, and then points for me to pull in behind with the rest. Sure enough, they said that they had had reports of "Sports cars driving recklessly". Then get this, he says, "Are you a part of any group of cars?" Now here I am in my Pantera, sitting behind another Pantera, with the Ferrari 250 in front of that, and another behind they tagged. I wanted to be a smartass and say, "No officer, we just all happened to meet up here by accident." Sheesh. Well, anyway, got a ticket because I didn't have my insurance with me, and actually someone else got the same ticket. No speeding tickets, so all was good.

There were actually two Pantera incidents involving damage this weekend. The worst one happend to a guy who has had his Pantera in Colorado at Pantera Performance for the past year getting I don't know what all work done. He took delivery Saturday, and proceeded to take it right out on the track. I've yet to find out exactly what happened, but I do know he ended up in the wall. I saw the car briefly and the front left was smashed pretty good, so I think he spun it. It may have been the car had way more power than he was used to, not sure. The second incident happened to a guy who was thankfully going about 15mhp when his back left wheel came flying off! Jury is still out on the reasons this happened, but at least no one was hurt.

That 250 is a 1961 250SWB, one of 200 made I think I was told. It belongs to Gray Gregory down in Houston. It won at least two awards--Most Desirable Ferrari, and I forget the other. Really unique car, and like I mentioned above, he isn't scared to drive it, as that's what he drove on the cruise.

Here are some pictures:

6. GhostRider

Dec 20, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Matt
  7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Wow, nothing like hanging out with a million dollar plus Ferrari for the weekend!

I'm sure the cop had no idea.

8. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That will buff right out.

"Lil' Bull" wanted to ride in a Lambo! :(

He also said I should put the window glass back in, weight savings be dam--ed! Got a little chilly on the way back home. He wore his crash helment all the way back to Fairfield!

Mustang was off in the weeds in Prarie View. DPS ALL over it!!

9. texas360modena

Dec 15, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
  10. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Holy crap...! Awesome event...! You Texans sure know how to do it up...! Damn... Great pictures... Looks like it was awesome... i love seeing such a wide variety of cars in one place...

11. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  12. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    #66 Texas Forever, Mar 1, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    #67 Texas Forever, Mar 1, 2004
  14. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    I like the IROC-Z with the front license plate.

15. woodlands_vt

woodlands_vt Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    The Woodlands, TX
    Nice pics, Dale! Was that a big oil leak under your car?
    :)

16. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #71 BigTex, Mar 2, 2004
  17. GhostRider

Dec 20, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I found out more information on the wrecked blue Pantera. Dennis Quella of Pantera Performance had built a brand new engine (600 + HP), and installed a new radiator, new wheels and track tires. The owner came onto the track for his first session slightly late so the yellow was already down and the track was hot. With cold tires and about twice the HP of his old engine, he got loose in Turn 2, then the car shot back across the track and into the barrier. The damage appears to be mostly limited to sheetmetal (fenders, hood, lower valence) and hopefully didn't get into the chassis - though apparently the drivers door was pushed back very slightly.

18. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    :)

19. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Hey Speedy, dat's not whut I saw you driving on your way up. Can't miss the world's fastest art car....

20. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Yea, I tried to lasso a patch of sunshine and tow it up there, but the rope broke going thru the infield tunnel! :(