The Holey Daytona | Page 33 | FerrariChat

The Holey Daytona

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Wheels1, Jan 27, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    Grant

The car in the picture is 16715.

In a letter to me about this car in 1985, Robert Jankel described the wheels thus:

"The black car is fitted with special split rim Ferrari wheels 16" with P7 tyres"

I am certain he meant Ferrari style wheels.

Mark

2. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    The garage have made a short promo vid. [ looks very home made] of my car for their web-site [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHOPf5rjFDM]Ferrari Daytona Restoration - YouTube[/ame]
    Sorry about the dull music!
    Grant

3. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Grant,

Your car looks absolutely amazing, and it deserves a better video than this, including some footage with the car in motion and some engine sounds.

Best,

Jack.

4. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Thanks Jack.
    I totally agree.
    I have put the car away for the winter now [ not unless the weather improves]. I will have to spend some time over winter, looking for someone to help make the video, and hopefully try to get someone, who is good at capturing the sound of the exhaust, which seems hard to do judging by the videos I have seen. Any advise or offers welcome. [ There might have to be a tunnel involved].
    Grant

5. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #805 Wheels1, Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I was just going through some photos of the steering wheels that Rorky sent me of the wheels I had re-leathered, as I am putting the early one on e-bay, as it is not right for my car, and I found this one with a SWB in the background, and what could be the seats , does any know this car it looks great.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #806 Wheels1, Nov 10, 2013
  7. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Can't be sure but looks to be the ex Eric Clapton car now owned by Ross Brawn?

What's the ebay listing for your wheel? not right for mine either but bet it is a lot nicer than the reproduction wheel on there at the moment.

8. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    1 June 2013. That's a car I had in there for new carpets. Those seats don't actually belong to it.

Mark

9. jnk

jnk Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2010
    Could Wheels or Daytonafan explain why this steering wheel is not right for there car, and for which car it is correct for.

10. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    #810 Daytonafan, Nov 11, 2013
    My Daytona is a 73 UK car so would have originally come with a solid spoke Momo wheel. 71 and 72 Daytonas came with wheels with holes in the spokes as per Grant's wheel.

Bad pic of the correct wheel for a 73 car

11. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Thanks Mark for the info, it looks very nice indeed.

It gets a bit more specific re the wheels i think:-

69-71 had holes in the spokes of the leather wheels with momo in a square on the back as per photo above.

72 had holes in the spokes and momo in a line on the front of the bottom spoke,

73 had no holes in the spokes and momo on the front in a line or at least euro cars did. This is a rough guide timeline wise, just based on what i have see and learned.
    This is a link for my wheel:- Genuine Ferrari Daytona MOMO steering wheel, Ferrari 365 steering wheel MOMO | eBay

I also have some Colson cable ties on there as well, if you are doing a concours Dino or Daytona. Ferrari Daytona cable ties, Ferrari Dino Cable ties, Ferrari 365 cable ties | eBay

12. robinfoster

robinfoster Rookie

Jan 7, 2014
    Hi, just wanted to say what a great job you've done with your Daytona. I found this thread at about 1am this morning and by 3am had made it to page 37, and was too tired to read any more! Had to finish reading the article today - compelling!

I take my hat off to you for achieving what must be a true likeness to one of the original 7 rhd Spyders - in terms of building the strength back into the chassis. Finding that rear-end clip must have been the find of the century too!

As a foot note I would like to add that I'm not an owner, just an enthusiast. I've always loved the Daytona since being a small boy and encountered my first sighting of a Spyder in Bramley Motors (reg X5) in the eighties. It left an indelible impression! Having not seen that particular car for years, I was completely bowled-over to find pictures on the web of it being used as nature intended. It's so refreshing to see that after all of that work, that you drive yours too.

Thank you once again for sharing the rebuild with us. May you have many years of happy driving with the now un-holey Daytona!

Best regards.

Robin Foster

13. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #813 Wheels1, Apr 22, 2014
    Thanks Robin.

I was fortunate enough to go to the Horsham Piazza Italia on good Friday. They had about 90 modern Ferrari's and a few classic's that parade around town and then are on display.
    Here are a few pic's and a clip I found of the classic's.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2Cl0I4LtBA skip the first 2 min's.
    Grant
    Pic's are ;-
    At the Hotel meeting point
    en-route
    My car is in there somewhere
    Engine talk.
    My car seems to attract the best ladies!!!!
    On display

14. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    That's one tall easter bunny...!!! :)

15. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Looks like a fun event and nice to see some classics out and about. I left it too late to register and had other plans anyway.

16. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Nice photos, cars fabulous.

17. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    The music is, in fact, great.

But is the front bumper correct?

18. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    In what regard Lowell?

19. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew

Having seen Grant's car up close I would say they are very correct.

[​IMG]

Or at the very least the same as mine, with the same overrider

[​IMG]

20. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #820 Wheels1, Apr 23, 2014
    Re the front over rider Matt is talking about.
    They were designed by Mike Osgood when he worked for Ferrari, and available as an option on later cars. Here is a photo from 1975 showing one, on another car, on the start line.

21. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    I looked at all the photos in the Braden/Roush Daytona book.
    None of the cars had a chrome strip (tube?) running the entire length
    of the nose above the proper bumpers. So I am led to think that this
    is sort of aftermarket protuberance.

22. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Lowell.
    If you read post 820 you will see that it was designed, made and sold by Ferrari, I even stated who designed it, and I know him very well. Also the photo I posted, shows a car with one, when it was almost new, this car was one of the last ones registered in the UK.

You can also look at the front cover of "Ferrari Daytona Super profile" by Nathan Beehl.
    Ferrari The Legend
    Original Ferrari V12
    etc

23. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Hi Grant

Was it a factory option or a dealer fit one? I have only ever seen the overrriders fitted to UK cars, and my Dad had the overrider retro fitted (by Maranellos in Egham I think) in the seventies. It was his daily driver and wanted some extra protection for the front when leaving it parked in London.

I would be curious to see where Classiche stand on these as they rejected a few dealer fit items on a friend of mine's 246 Dino. They had been on the car since it was delivered but not when it left the factory

24. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Matt it seems, You never know Classiche what they will say.

All I can say I was told by Mike, it was designed by him at Ferrari, He told me it had to be approved by Ferrari, they where sold and fitted by Ferrari and were an option on later cars and retro fit on earlier cars. He told me it all came about, as so many people bashed the front bumpers into the body work, and the over rider made them a little stronger.

25. bighitter2

bighitter2 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    Grant, I know it has been awhile but I on the hunt again for the Spyder upper door moldings, do you know how to get ahold of E.G. Autocraft ? Can'find them on the web, thanks Chuck..how's the blue spider doing?