GoPro | FerrariChat

GoPro

Discussion in 'Technology' started by forgeahead, Apr 26, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    My wife gave me a GoPro. I haven't used it yet because I find it difficult to compose a frame without a viewfinder. The last time I went diving I saw a few people using them. How do you capture video/stills without knowing where it's pointing?

2. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    The new GoPro's have a bluetooth capability that allows you to operate them from your smart phone. You get a real time (actually a second or so delay) view on your phone screen.

3. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Yeah. I've seen that. It doesn't help 60 ft underwater though!

4. MacGeek

MacGeek Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2007
    Torino, Italy
    #4 MacGeek, Apr 26, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
    You can also get a LCD touch screen "BacPac", which attaches to the back of the GoPro:
    GoPro LCD Touch BacPac?| Removable LCD touch screen for GoPro Cameras

It includes a set of bigger rear doors (standard, skeleton and touch) for your existing housing. There's also a "Limited Edition" version, which comes with an entire underwater housing, in addition to the set of rear doors.

Here's a video on YouTube showing it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQkSPGdfRyM

According to the video there are some issues with some standard housings; in that case, a "Limited Edition" LCD Touch BacPac would probably be the best choice.

5. ar_es

ar_es Formula 3

Jun 6, 2013
    Rome
    Full Name:
    Ares
    Which GoPro is it?

Sent from my F430 using Tapatalk.

6. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    My first GoPro was the Hero and the first thing I was going to use it on was the race cars in the garage area at the Rolex 24 at Daytona. I was put off by not having a view finder as well but tried to figure it out.

The first thing I needed to learn was how far I needed to stand away from a car to get it all in the frame. I went out side and tested with my car by holding it 3 feet from the car, 6 feet, 10 feet and noted the results. It was easy to figure out just where I needed to stand to get the entire car and from there I could accurately guess shooting a quarter panel, front or rear etc.

The second thing you need to watch is the camera angle in regards to the subject. If I point the camera up too high I'd only get the top half of the car. Point too low and you only get the bottom half. What I do is imagine a line going straight out of the lens and where it hits the subject becomes the " center " of the frame. If I tilt the camera the imaginary line points down or up.

Through some testing and a bit of experience I've learned just how far I need to be from the subject to get what I want in the frame and what angle to hold the camera. After awhile it became second nature and I rarely blew a shot. Familiarity was key for me and it only took a few tests before I was off and running.

To help illustrate here is one of the first videos I made with the Hero. As you look at the " framing " of each shot keep in mind that it was done by using the technique above. No LCD or app was used. As you can see by my shadow some of the shots were taken with the GoPro mounted on a long pole and some I used it on a hand grip. Even mounted on a pole that is held far out in front of me, by gauging the distance and camera angle I'm able to get decent, composed shots without any unsightly cropping.

With a little practice you'll figure it out :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj8YYHXtDeA]2012 Rolex 24 - YouTube[/ame]

7. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Buy the LCD monitor back if you are worried about framing shots underwater.

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Most people get GoPro's because that's the one marketed the most. They were first to market and have basically been unchanged although several others have hit the market. Not saying GoPro isn't fine for everyone that buys it, but the market is full of other cameras now, but people have only heard of GoPro.

9. ar_es

ar_es Formula 3

Jun 6, 2013
    Rome
    Full Name:
    Ares

Quite true, would be nice to hear something else too!

Sent from my F430 using Tapatalk.

10. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    #10 FarmerDave, May 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I played with a lot of them and found that the GoPro had the best offering of accessories and the best setup menus, and the mobile app is better than anything on the market, so I'm going GoPro because it's an appliance. I bought one last week and bought another one today.

Had a little fun this afternoon.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. black label

black label Karting

Aug 20, 2007
    Fareham England
    Full Name:
    Eric Hayto
    The Gopro logo is "be a Hero" in otherwords they are designed to film yourself doing something, I have used mine snowboarding and skateboarding with great results.

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    just like the other dozen POV or mini-cameras. I mainly use mine for hunting and fishing, but these qualities are important...

1 - waterproof
    2 - ability to wide angle
    3 - screen or at least aim pointer
    4 - long battery life (2+ hours)
    5 - replaceable batteries (I go through 4-5 day of fishing)
    6 - small and light weight
    7 - handle micro SD 32-64 Gb
    8 - various accessories suction mounts, helmet straps/mounts, roll cage mounts

my favorite one so far is the Contour HD, but they have pretty much gone out of business. they were maybe 2nd to market behind GoPro and a better camera, but they just didn't have the marketing budget. I have gone on eBay and bought NIB or slight used for $100. stocking up because I plan to use many more years until something better comes out.

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Here are some of my Contour HD videos.

This fishing one just went over 100k views.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHS4oJG1b3U]Lake Fork 12 Pound Largemouth Bass Caught on Video - YouTube[/ame]

here is one from the Challenge car racing.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q4hCNieKuU]Ferrari Club Racing Association - VIR 2011 - YouTube[/ame]

Here is from plane.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldgL5StzqPs]"Carrier" Landing Columbia 400 - YouTube[/ame]

14. Vinny Bourne

Vinny Bourne Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2011
    I have a GoPro Hero, don't worry about pointing it, just point in the direction of what you want, it will get it. The quality of the video if set right, from the menu, is unbelievable. So clear! It does not do darkness so well and I have no idea about water, but i think that it was the clear case is for.

15. ar_es

ar_es Formula 3

Jun 6, 2013
    Rome
    Full Name:
    Ares
  16. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    The GoPro has such a wide angle that I typically just point in the general direction of the shot I want to get.

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Special Contour I have rigged instead of external microphone it has microphone cord internally wired to it, so all the sound comes from the plane's communication system (me talking, other planes talking, XM radio, or plane notifications like beeps).

18. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    cool!

19. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    Nice landing Rob :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #20 TTR, Jun 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    In preparations for our upcoming 3000 mile vintage driving vacation I’m looking to get a reasonable quality (resolution & stability) and simple to operate onboard GoPro-type video recorder with a simple (single button ?) on-off wireless remote.

The camera-recorder will be mounted behind my right shoulder offering a view similar to one seen in Robs track driving video.

The on-off remote will be mounted on to one of the steering wheel spokes for quick thumb access, as I would like to turn the camera on easily while driving and encountering some interesting looking road ahead.
    I’d like the camera to be reasonably “waterproof” since the car is open and will likely to be driven open most of the time, even in light drizzle or occasional light rain.

The mounting hardware I’ll probably end up building myself, but wouldn’t mind having some simple “quick release” for it when parking & leaving the car unattended for extended periods, including overnight.
    I don’t need or want to pay for dozens of “accessories” I’ll likely never use.

Any suggestions ?

P.S.Long battery capacity would also be nice, since it cannot be charged during driving (Car is 6Volt).

rob lay likes this.