LaFerrari Review Thread | Page 2 | FerrariChat

LaFerrari Review Thread

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by MisterMaranello, Apr 29, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    Alright, I've now watched both Autocar and evo's video.

Evo's video was a little less drama, and much better produced. Autocar has a nasty habit of poor in-car camera placement and recycling of clips and poor audio. However, both videos fill each other out. When Sutcliffe didn't speak on something, Meaden did and vice versa.

Both of them said the car was reminiscent of a 950 hp 458. They praised the friendliness of the car and the agility.

Meaden said the brake feel was equally as good as brake feel in the P1, which don't re-gen like in LaF.

Although none of them said it straight out, it seems like the LaF is something a bit more special than the P1. Power delivery and acceleration is insane, and the car is friendly, with a great steering feel.

2. Mark ANTAR

Mark ANTAR Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2012
    Melbourne, Victoria
    Full Name:
    Mark ANTAR
    It's interesting how you came up with such conclusion, because as I see it from both the P1 and LaFerrari reviews, they were left utterly speechless and mind-boggled more by the P1.

3. Mark ANTAR

Apr 26, 2012
    Melbourne, Victoria
    Full Name:
    Mark ANTAR
    It's interesting that SS mentioned the aero grip in LaFerrari, even though it has nearly half as much downforce as the P1.

4. vlad0

vlad0 Karting

Sep 11, 2013
    If they drove the Ferrari before the P1 it will be the opposite... it was a novelty thing.. if anything the fact that they are as impressed as they are with the Ferrari after driving the P1 is impressive. I really wasn't expecting that to be honest...

The PU and the breaks on the Ferrari seem to be spot on.. and of course power delivery.

5. Mark ANTAR

Apr 26, 2012
    Melbourne, Victoria
    Full Name:
    Mark ANTAR
    You have a point there, but the driving experience in the P1 seems to be much more focused and race-car-like. I guess that's what differentiates it from its competitors.

6. andy101

andy101 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 28, 2013
    maybe it really doesn't have 950 hp as it is supposed to be.

7. vlad0

vlad0 Karting

Sep 11, 2013
    ^ even if it had 800hp it still has to be very well balanced..

I think both companies know their clientele and kind tailored the experience for each one respectively. If you drive them everyday my guess is that the Ferrari will be more comfortable, but if you go to a race track you might go around the track a bit faster with the P1.

I bet that the Ferrari will always feel faster because of that crazy power delivery system, but is it really faster ? I guess we will have to wait and find out when they get both cars on track side by side.

8. andy101

andy101 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 28, 2013
    yea p1 wins, you happy?

9. andy101

andy101 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 28, 2013
    the one thing that in sutcliffe's video that makes me believe that he might be slightly ( if not a lot) more impressed with the p1 is his last statement. but honestly, unless there is a side by side test of all 3, any of these comparisons are probably not as as accurate as they want to be.
    but i must say, this review is much better done than his p1's video.

10. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I felt exactly the opposite.

11. Mark ANTAR

Apr 26, 2012
    Melbourne, Victoria
    Full Name:
    Mark ANTAR
    I don't think LaFerrari will be more comfortable than the P1 in its softest setting (Normal Mode), I really doubt it. It's nearly as comfortable as the 12C and that says something. It's also smaller, has E-mode and I think it can ride higher than the Ferrari (with the lift system on).

Here's SS's piece, comparing all three cars.

Ferrari LaFerrari vs McLaren P1 vs Porsche 918 Spyder | Autocar

Some interesting points:

- The Ferrari feels quickest in a straight line, just, followed closely by the P1 with the 918 being merely incredible back in third place.

- The P1 feels torquier and therefore more explosive in the mid range than the Ferrari.

- The P1 has an extra sense of surging madness to its acceleration between 4000-8500rpm that the more linear Ferrari doesn’t quite replicate.

- In the 918 and P1 you quite quickly run out of e-puff if you drive them hard for sustained periods, and the only real way to get it back is to slow down a bit until the batteries can regenerate, mainly via the engine in the P1 or via the brakes in the 918. (I'm actually quite surprised he said that, because all three cars are always harvesting energy...)

- In the Ferrari, however, you harvest power all the time, and there is no 'e-mode' as such. As a result, you have access to the full 950bhp all of the time.

- All three have massively powerful brakes, but those of the P1 and LaFerrari definitely have more feel than the 918’s, especially at low speed.

- All three have dual clutch auto gearboxes that work brilliantly, the P1’s being the smoothest during low effort, low speed shifts, the 918’s being the most violent during full bore shifts."

12. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    #37 REALZEUS, Apr 29, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
    That is not correct. The LaFerrari has 360 kg of the thing at 124 mph, which I believe is similar to what the P1 has at the same speed.

13. Mark ANTAR

Apr 26, 2012
    Melbourne, Victoria
    Full Name:
    Mark ANTAR
    No, thank you. Will wait for a back to back review.

14. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    All of the reviewers are positively exuberant about : power (and mind-altering acceleration), power delivery (including seamless blend between electric and combustion), brake feel (which seems to effectively belie the presence of regeneration), steering (precision and quickness) ... all reviewers being astonished by how easy it is to drive, and drive FAST.

Essentially a 458 with 950 HP ... ??? WOW :) :) :) :)

15. rmk

rmk Formula 3

Mar 24, 2002
    Condolences to the P1 and 918.

16. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    We've long suspected/known that LaFerrari is better at harvesting energy sources ... I wonder if some reviewers (or owners) will post laptimes (perhaps on an "interesting" road course, or track, or two ;) ) over a period of more than a single lap?

17. Mark ANTAR

Apr 26, 2012
    Melbourne, Victoria
    Full Name:
    Mark ANTAR
    It is not necessarily a bad thing, but the fact that it provides the same driving experience as any other Ferrari (only with more power) is disappointing to me. It doesn't have its own unique "character" like its competitors.

18. Luque

Luque Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2009
    Italy
    Interesting,
    And where do you get laferrari downforce numbers ?

19. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Ferrari stated that in its low downforce setting (i.e. low drag) it produces 90 kg of pressure at 124 mph (200 kph), whereas in its high downforce setting the car produces 360 kg of pressure. Of course it produces much more than that at higher speeds, but the comparisson was made to show the difference at 124 mph between the two extreme configurations.

20. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'm not convinced that's true. There are several people on ML who have already been tracking their P1s are Spa. I don't recall any of them saying they ran out of battery power.

21. andy101

andy101 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 28, 2013
    didn't mclaren claimed p1 has 600 kg downforce at 200kph? so that makes lafe 793 lbs almost 200 lbs more?

22. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    A seriously amplified 458 experience is not at all disappointing to me !!

23. No Lotus

No Lotus Rookie

Mar 6, 2013
    I may be wrong, but I believe that 600 kg is at 160 mph. Since the force goes up with the square of velocity, the Laf and P1 may be similar in downforce.

Edit: (161/124)^2 * 360 kg = 607 kg.

24. Luque

Luque Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2009
    Italy
    I well Know.
    I'm just kidding Mark and his (wrong) statement.

Luque

25. Mark ANTAR

Apr 26, 2012
    Melbourne, Victoria
    Full Name:
    Mark ANTAR
    "with a maximum of 360kg being produced at 124mph when cornering"

I took it as 360kg maximum, sorry for the confusion. Although it's nearly impossible for it to match P1's level of downforce given its relatively smaller and lower rear wing and its ride-height.

Anyway, I think we should take some of these official figures with a grain of salt. It was mentioned in the article that it weighs 50kg less than P1 which is totally possible, but it was a full 140kg lighter than P1 when Ferrari first unveiled it, which is utterly ridiculous.