LaFerrari Review Thread | Page 14 | FerrariChat

LaFerrari Review Thread

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by MisterMaranello, Apr 29, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    One thing cannot be denied, and it deserves caps-lock:
    THE THING SOUNDS ABSOLUTELY EPIC!

2. andy101

andy101 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 28, 2013
    very true. these two pathetic fanboys who are obviously biased to no end on this car/brand have either constantly quote thing out of the context or talk like he's the authority of truth/facts since he has mastered his skill of leeching onto fame/dropping names without actually doing it ( very typical troll-like behavior on the internet).

how annoying.

3. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Well said !!

4. YAMVS6

YAMVS6 Karting

Jan 26, 2011
    ohio
    very cool indeed!

5. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    You are distorting the facts here mate. The reviewers said that the car is as benign as a 1000 HP 458. They said that it drives like a super 458, which in their book - mine also mind you - , is a compliment of the highest order!!! They also said that it has the performance to give a 458 driver a heart attack!!! So, a car as friendly and exhilarating as a 458, with the performance of a ballistic missile. Can't find anything wrong about that!!! Keep in mind also that the 458 trumped the 12C in driving involvement. ;)

6. LaFerrari 01

LaFerrari 01 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 14, 2013
    LaFerrari
    #331 LaFerrari 01, May 1, 2014
    Last edited: May 1, 2014
    For all people from Mclaren fan club. This is Ferrari forum it mean that there are lots of Ferrari fans and also this is LaFerrari thread and it mean that there are lots of LaFerrari fans. I AM ENORMOUS BIG FAN of LaFerrari and it mean, that I add my post on Ferrari forum to one of LaFerrari threads. BUT if you want it, I can register on Mclaren forum and can start write in one of thread how is LaFerrari amazing, perfect car (although it is really true) and also write how is P1 bad, stupid car......and then I want to read reactions from Mclaren fans to me as Ferrari and LaFerrari fan.

It mean, STOP WRITE STUPIDITIES on LaFerrari. That is ALL! ...Mark ANTAR maybe you are in McLaren forum "boss" but this is Ferrari forum!

7. Davey S1

Davey S1 Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Cardiff, Wales
    Full Name:
    David
    It certainly does seem to be an epic car and from the reviews I've read different to the
    P1.

I think the Autocar review said that the LaF was what you would expect from Ferrari and the P1 was what you would expect from McLaren.

Both brilliant and both sold out so the arguing is largely irrelevant. Ideally you would be one of the lucky people who are getting both.

The comment about it that I did find disappointing was when Steve Sutcliffe of Autocar said that at Fiorano the acceleration was ridiculous even though he wasnt getting anywhere near the red line. That would just frustrate me. Part of a fast car's appeal is wringing its neck through the gears to the red line.

It's on that basis that I'd far rather take an F50 over the LaF or Enzo. Arguably a better sounding car than both, a manual transmission and exhilarating performance that's relatively exploitable and enjoyable.

8. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    #333 MisterMaranello, May 1, 2014
    Last edited: May 1, 2014
    Quite to the contrary actually, the fact that he was so blown away by the acceleration without going 10/10ths speaks volumes for how insanely quick the car must feel. Sutcliffe has driven just about everything there is to drive, including the XX cars. Like him or not he's arguably one of the journalists with the most driving experience in the world.

Oh and fellow FChatters, if you want be amused head on over to McLarenLife and read through some of Mark Antar and his friends' posts. He should be employed by Ferrari to fix all their "problems" immediately! How can you disagree with the comment "the rear bumper looks as if it's about to fall off"? And of course the rear spoiler on LaF was an afterthought and not something they decided to include in the design until after they saw the P1, because it looks so ugly when it's deployed it was definitely an afterthought.

Well, the book "LaFerrari - Dynamic Art" doesn't quite agree.

9. modena

modena F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    John
    Every journalist that said it was similar to a 458 said so in a complimentary, positive manner. They each talked about how incredibly easy it is to drive. The pair of you are desperately clutching at straws trying to put a negative spin on anything you can come up with. Morons.

Now, read the following excerpts carefully and get it right in future:

Autocar

Steve Sutcliffe: "It feels - and Ferrari will take this as the greatest compliment of all, I think - it feels like a 458 with 1,000 horsepower V12 in it. Why do I mean that to be a compliment? Because everything it does feels very much kind of friendly and predictable and manageable like it is in a 458. The difference are when you put your foot down you light another extra 4 afterburners and go towards the horizon at a lick at which a 458 owner might actually have a heart attack the first time they experience it, it is that savage and there is that much acceleration, it's just magnificent."

EVO

Dickie Meaden: "I'm going to turn CST off now. It's quite intimidating, I can tell you. It actually feels - bizarrely - it just feels like a big, 458's big, bad-ass brother in the way it handles - and that's in no-way an insult to this car."

Road & Track

Chris Harris: "It's approachable, too. You can hang half a turn of opposite lock at high speed, just the way you can in a 458. The sense of agility is always there, and of course the power is so overbearing you can always alter your line with a prod of your right foot. Switch off all the safety aids off and the LaFerrari will reduce its tires to blue smoke very effectively. It will also a reveal a chassis with so much balance at extreme slip angles that you wonder if the car actually does anything wrong."

10. Davey S1

Davey S1 Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Cardiff, Wales
    Full Name:
    David
    Yes I agree but not being able to use all of the cars performance other than on the biggest and longest tracks would drive me mad.

Just a personal view.

11. LaFerrari 01

LaFerrari 01 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 14, 2013
    LaFerrari
    I think that all, which tested LaFerrari wanted say like "LaFerrari is the best in all" LaFerrari is the best car which they drove" ...etc

Every day look on all LaFerrari video reviews. It is stunning.

12. modena

modena F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    John
    I think Erik and the 90 year-old woman that lives beside me would agree that it's simply too loud :rolleyes:

13. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTzhuCmBQa4]I'm afraid you're just too darn loud. - YouTube[/ame]

14. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The LaFerrari accelerates like a fighter jet, even at 5k RPM. BTW, the F50 sounds great, but it seems like that the new car sounds much better.

15. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I'm not bothered that it is too loud - I simply pointed out a scenario where being loud would be detrimental.

>8^)
    ER

16. MisterMaranello

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    I see your point. However, it has been accepted for some time already that in tune with the ever increasing perfomance bar, supercars and even some sportscars have so much performance that you will never get close to pushing it on the public road without taking a considerable risk.

Hence why small, low-powered and lightweight "back to basics" sportscars are getting increasingly popular.

17. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Thank you :)

Anyone trying to suggest that these comparisons to the 458 are somehow "negatives" for LaFerrari, is truly grasping at straws ... not one of the reviewers considered the comparison to the 458 to a negative criticism, and they expressly stated so! In fact, each reviewer considered their comparison to the 458 to be the highest praise :) (as would anyone, with real seat-time in a 458)

18. vlad0

vlad0 Karting

Sep 11, 2013
    What's all the fuss about ? The car is amazing, get over it..

19. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I think it is great that the car is so drivable. Let's hope most owners use that to their advantage and don't just park them.

>8^)
    ER

20. Bill S

Bill S Formula 3

Oct 2, 2004
    The amazing thing about LaFerrari is that it feels as refined and stable as a 458, but with twice the acceleration, braking and grip. Amazing it looks as stable as it does with almost 1,000 HP.

In my opinion, LaFerrari will be much more fun to drive on the track and street then P1 and 918. I say this because...

1. 918 is very heavy (600+ lbs more than the other two). Porsche tried to dial that out with massive electric motors, AWD and 4-wheel steering. They also increased HP during development to help. But the car's primary purpose was to show you could get incredible mileage and low emissions with excellent performance. Ok, it did 6:57, but a Nissan GT-R Nismo was right on its butt at 7:08 at about the same weight and with 4WD but no 4-wheel steering. A GT-R with 4-wheel steering and a little more HP will break 7, just like the 918. The extra weight of the 918 on the road and track will really make the car lose its nimble feeling. You WILL notice 600 lbs. Maybe not in acceleration or track times, but in how fast the car reacts to acceleration, braking, steering, etc. And you can't easily leave a burnout. What fun it that! 918 just doesn't feel Exotic to me, like the CGT with a V10. Its V8 is nice, but really not much more than you get in a 458. I may change my mind after driving a 918, but it seems a bit cold at this point.

2. I saw P1 in person several times and rode in an MP4-12c with a very good driver. The MP4-12c accelerates a bit faster than my CGT (we raced many times). The fast shifting is incredible and the suspension makes it feel like a Mercedes on steroids. P1 will be very fast and its light weight will make it feel great on the road and track. But turbo cars are always very fast. They lose the sound and instant throttle response even (I'm guessing) with the electric motors. But that McLaren suspension really absorbs almost all road imperfections. It makes it hard to know what the car's limit is. You kind of have to trust that it will stick, and that makes it difficult to drive very fast, especially on the street. You're always wondering what's going on beneath you.

3. I have a lot of driving time in Ferraris. LaFerrari engineers listened to people like myself. The car is much different that P1 and 918. Overall performance will likely be a bit better than P1 and way more than 918 - just guessing of course (-; But the real difference is the way the car feels and responds. You're pretty much sitting right on the chassis and feel every road imperfection (smoothed of course) and even feel the rocks hitting you (gotta like that!). The 950 HP flat-torque curve V12 revving to 9K+ (electric boost is completely invisible) never gets old. It does what you want and when you want it instantly in a huge RPM range. You could leave a burnout for your friends and do some cool drifts (like the P1, but not like the 918). The interior and exterior are extremely exotic, unlike the 918 and the P1 to some extent (especially the 918 and P1 interior).

On the street, and even most tracks, the three cars will pretty much look the same regarding performance. No one car is going the leave the others far behind, unless you're on a runway. Then LaFerrari will be ahead of P1 with 918 pretty far behind (just like Enzo does to CGT). But LaFerrari will never get boring. I see I might get bored with 918 and maybe even P1 (not sure). As I said, LaFerrari is a different animal with respect to feel and enjoying it every day. The fact that it's as easy to drive as a 458 at 2X the levels is amazing. It's years ahead of 918 regarding feeling and aerodynamics (just like Enzo was to CGT).

BTW, I'm not really playing favorites, just calling it as I see it. I own Ferrari and Porsche and would not hesitate to own McLaren. It will be interesting to see what happens over the next year or two. Personally, I'm in no hurry to see how these three cars flesh out when people really start to drive them. It took a few years for people to really see the difference between the CGT and Enzo.

21. MisterMaranello

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    Wrong thread mate. This thread is NOT for three way discussion of the cars. I've made this very clear a few times already.

22. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Are you new at this forum thing? This is a discussion thread - you may have entered the first post but that gives you no mandate over it and you don't get to police what happens after that until they make you a Moderator here. Bill's post was fine.

>8^)
    ER

23. MisterMaranello

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    Actually I started the thread with a clear goal of trying to keep it on topic. So yes that does give me the mandate to ask that we keep it on topic. If you want to discuss something completely irrelevant to this thread, please do so in another thread. Do what you like as long as you keep your ridiculous comments and attempts to sabotage the thread somewhere else. Bill's post was fine in itself but now a new discussion will insume based on his post and further derail the thread. Not to mention there is already a thread for 918 P1 LaFerrari discussion.

Where does it say that this is a general discussion thread? Or do you just post whatever you like in random threads?

24. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Don't reviews often make comparisons? I agree the comments are a little bit off the topic but not much. All I can say is I appreciate Bill S' comments and thoughts and enjoy learning more about this exciting car.

25. boyko23

boyko23 Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2014
    Bill S,
    If you really believe that the 918 is 600 plus lbs havier than the other two, then sorry for you.
    The difference in real live is and will be around 100-130 kg. at max.