New 2015 458 Right of First Refusal Agreement | FerrariChat

New 2015 458 Right of First Refusal Agreement

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by synergy, May 1, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. synergy

synergy Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2007
    Austin Texas
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I am ordering a new 2015 458 and my dealer presented me a "New Ferrari Sale and Right of First Refusal Agreement" to me before they order the car. The language in this doc is a bit odd and says that I must offer the car to the dealer first and they will offer me an applicable price. Does everyone sign this? Is this a Ferrari policy or dealer policy?

Thanks in advance!

2. rahulma

rahulma Karting

Dec 9, 2009
    #2 rahulma, May 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2014
    **** them. Buy elsewhere. I believe this is the perfect exemption from the territorial BS.

3. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    I had to sign this as well at the dealership where I bought my 458. I believe, even though it's totally outrageous, its standard procedure at many of the dealerships.

4. synergy

synergy Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2007
    Austin Texas
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Besides the "Right of First Refusal" doc they are having me put down $35K as a deposit through a form called "Acknowledgment of Special Order Fee" which is a non-refundable deposit towards the purchase price of the car. I believe this "may" be somewhat standard as another dealer wants a $20K deposit. Gotta love Northern California!

5. herenow

herenow Formula Junior

Apr 21, 2014
    US of A

Just had to sign the same doc for my F12, but it was only if I decided to sell it before the first year of ownership. Pretty standard here too, don't really mind because I don't plan on selling it in the near future.

The deposit is a little strange, I have ordered before and basically it is "semi-refundable," at my dealer. Basically I put the deposit and if the car comes and I don't like it, that deposit can go towards any other car I like at the dealer or a future order.

6. synergy

synergy Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2007
    Austin Texas
    Full Name:
    Chris
    My agreement is within "first two years of the date of delivery" which for one year no problem but two seems a little rich given the new platform is coming and I may want to sell and upgrade at some point. Hmmm

7. herenow

herenow Formula Junior

Apr 21, 2014
    US of A
    Yea that sounds pretty ridiculous, especially knowing that the replacement is around the corner. I wouldn't want to be restricted, if I were in your shoes, to sell an out going model to one particular dealership. They basically have you at their mercy especially if you decide you want a new model. I understand for new cars, like the F12, or even a Speciale. But honestly I wouldn't sign a two year first right of refusal.

Do you have a good relationship with the dealer? Explain to them your situation and see what they say about the replacement....

8. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    First right of refusal is fine if it is at the price you want to sell the car for. If they can determine the price then I wouldn't touch that deal. So if the car is worth 275k and they say we will take it and pay you 225 what do they expect you to do?

9. angrylittledog

Dec 30, 2010
    Is this the SF or SV dealer?

10. 360Grigiotitanio

360Grigiotitanio Formula Junior

May 17, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    I think they are just trying to protect themselves from 'flippers'. If you are going to keep the car two years it is not a big deal. If you want to sell it in one year or less that is different.

11. synergy

synergy Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2007
    Austin Texas
    Full Name:
    Chris
    This is the SF dealer.

12. synergy

synergy Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2007
    Austin Texas
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yeah, totally agree. I will call the sales mgr tomorrow and get an update. If the new platform wasn't due out then I would be less concerned because I love the 458 BUT if something amazing comes out and I want to sell this car to buy a new one then I shouldn't be screwed in the process.

13. angrylittledog

Dec 30, 2010
    The first right of refusal contract is just the cost of doing business with Ferrari. I think you'll have a hard time finding a CA dealer that will do a sale without signing it.

That said, my experience with FoSF has been outstanding. I signed when I bought a California. I rationalized it by knowing that I wouldn't try and unload this car on AutoTrader or Craigslist so I'd probably just trade or consign through the dealer anyway. A couple of months later, the California just wasn't doing it for me so I traded up to a 458. I was genuinely surprised by the deal they put together to do the swap. These guys are really about repeat business and I've had nothing but very straightforward negotiations with them. So they'll give you a good, fair market price on the trade I'm sure.

The dealers have this contract in place because there are so many owners who flip cars frequently. They are mostly lightly driven and extremely well cared for so the margins are pretty good selling a 458 2 or 3 times.

As far as the deposit goes, I don't really have any experience with that. It seems kind of high to me, but not sure what the standard is here. Unless your spec for the 458 was something really bizarre I'm sure they would work something out if you didn't want to take the car when it comes in.

14. synergy

synergy Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2007
    Austin Texas
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks for the comments, yeah agree they have been awesome so far and this seems to be the norm. I will keep it two years and then see what the next platform looks like!

15. euro_king

euro_king Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2009
    San Jose, Jakarta
    Full Name:
    Jastien Weiss
    20k should be the deposit Chris. Coupe or Spider?

16. synergy

synergy Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2007
    Austin Texas
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Coupe. They claim their policy is X% or the price of the options, or something like that which came out to $35K. Not a huge deal but when I pushed back they didn't budge. Maybe they are trying to make sure I am serious?

17. Trincap

Trincap Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2010
    NorCal
    Chris, I think you are reading that first refusal thing wrong. It's at the price it was sold to you not any price they deem appropriate/applicable. I mean imagine the situation in 18 months if you decide you want the new version. Market is 200k and they offer you 200k, but you find a buyer that loves your particular car and is willing to go 220k. They aren't going to hold you up. That's not the way they do business. If however the market for the car is $300k, they will only give you the original 250k you paid for it. Of course, you can do whatever you want and sell it at 300k, but you will get blackballed for it. (ie. Ferrari doesn't sue it's customers but it is an agreement you make)

18. gqa

gqa Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2011
    NY NY
    I hope you are right about this. I really do!! Did you have this experience? Has anyone here?

I have a 458 on order due in June and I hope to get on the list and trade in for the new model spider. I would be happy to get what I paid for it when I trade it in.

19. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.
    Then why do you want to buy a new 458 coupe so deep into the model run? Sounds like you are already thinking of the next car. Can you find a nice used one with a factory warranty that meets your needs? I feel like if you buy a late run 458 coupe you will loose more money when the new model arrives than had you bought a new 458 early in the run or even a nice used one now. My $0.02.

20. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    #20 RCorsa, May 3, 2014
    Last edited: May 3, 2014
    My last 2 Ferraris I signed nothing of the sort. In fact i just walked and payed cash for a new 2014 coupe and the only thing I signed was the title. Guess its dealer to dealer??? I assume they could ask for first right of refusal but I guess I would always ask them first regardless--much easier than putting the car on the market and having lots of people with no means or real intent waste your time. If they don't want to pay what you felt it was worth they just say no?

21. F430kenric

F430kenric Formula 3

Mar 27, 2011
    That's what I love about not having a dealer within 100miles. I can buy from any dealer I want. Makes it easier. You aren't stuck with any one dealer.

22. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Standard operating procedure at my dealership. $7500 when I put my name on list, $20K when I received allocation the next month and locked in my order. Dealership also kept the $37K in equity my California had when I traded her in 5 months before I took delivery (none of us foresaw 2 months of transport. Blame the inclement weather in NJ).

I did not have to pay sales tax on the trade-in value of the Cali, this alone was worth the wait.

+1 although IIRC my signed contract does mention "fair market value" but I guess buying the Spider and immediately flipping for $50K over MSRP is not "fair market value"?

Bottom line is if one flip's the F-car for a profit within 12 or 18 months, one is never getting an allocation for a new F-car through my dealership again.

OP was looking for low mileage used examples for weeks. As he's not going ballistic on options, price is comparable between used and new and he prefers a bespoke Italia.

23. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I signed a 2 year agreement.....it is no way enforceable in the court of law....if broken you cam pretty much count yourself out of getting a new one again.....This is straight from my dealer.....

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

24. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    +1 I have never been required to sign but have heard this has become more the rule than the exception. I have not heard anyone on this forum complain about a problem with the agreement and would be curious if anyone here knows of a problem? As for the down payment, I have always had a refundable down and when the car came paid cash. I have no idea what would have occurred should I have special ordered and then walked. Never occurred to me frankly, but life happens. Best

25. 458Pilot

458Pilot Rookie

Sep 10, 2013
    Texas
    To me a first right of refusal means that if you decide to sell the car for an agreed upon price with an individual then the dealer would have an option to match that price. ( I think) As far as the Special Order Acknowledgement Fee if it's in the state of Texas the dealer cannot keep your deposit for any reason if you decide not to buy the car. This type of Fee is considered a deposit when it is applied to the purchase price of the car.