Scud brake pads | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Scud brake pads

Discussion in '360/430' started by MaranelloDave, Jan 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks for the input, Teachdocs. Will need to do further research to see if I can more or less find a consensus on what I should do. Fortunately, I have time to work on this -- with these temps the car isn't getting a whole lot of driving time.

2. VividRacing

VividRacing F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    Gilbert, AZ
    Best to call me on this.

Pagid doesn't reccomend your stock rotors using the RS29 and RS19 combo. The issue is for street use you will get a vibration/pedal feel. You can run the RS29/RS19 on the track which will avoid the vibration issue (all the hard stops).

I would still recommend the pagid RSC pad for street use or go with the endless MX72 pads for only street use, then run a ME20 endless, of course depends on the track you are visiting etc.

3. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks Rob. That's two votes for RSC1s for street use/occasional track use. May need to go this route. Although it's a compromise, I'd like to use pads that will work in both situations as it would be difficult for me to change out the pads regularly. I'll try to call tomorrow to discuss the options with you in more detail.

4. VividRacing

VividRacing F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    Gilbert, AZ
    No problem. I just wanted to make sure you didn't grab the RS29/19's and get something your unhappy with.

5. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #30 MaranelloDave, May 4, 2014
    Last edited: May 4, 2014
    Just changed my brake pads yesterday to the Pagid RSC1s. I haven't had an opportunity to really test them, but they felt pretty good on the drive home from my friend's shop where we did the work. Good initial bite, good stopping power, and no squeaking. I will report further on performance when I have a chance to really test the brakes.

A few notes on the install/bedding:

The front pads were worn down by about 60% compared to the new pads. I could see the brass rivets in the pad that were wearing against the disc. The RSC1s don't use these rivets. Instead, they use adhesive and the pad material extends into openings in the backing plate, which provides a mechanical coupling between the pad material and the backing plate.

The original pads that were on the front of the car had a rectangular shape but the RSC1s have a curved edge that faces the hub. At first we thought that Vivid Racing sent me the wrong pads, but the backing plates are identical and the pads fit fine. The difference means a little less material contacting the disc with the RSC1s.

The discs looked like new on all four corners of the car. Maybe this is just the way CCM discs look, but there was no discernable ridge between the pad contact surface and the remainder of the disc. I measured each disc and they were all below the minimum thickness noted on the discs.

The car originally had shims on the front brakes but we couldn't get them back in on the outer side of the first caliper we changed, so we just left them all off. I didn't notice any squeaking from vibration, but if I do later, we'll put the shims back in once the pads have worn down a bit.

We bedded the pads by doing about six 60-20 runs and then one 80-10 run. On the last run we got the burned pad smell as confirmation of the material transfer. My previous pads felt really weak so I had done 10 runs from 70-10 but didn't get this smell. Makes me think the old pads were shot.

6. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Nice! My RSC1s are on order as of Friday. First track work in a few weeks. Will report back.

7. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Edit: just realized I mistakenly said the discs were below the minimum thickness. I meant to say they are thicker than the minimum.

8. ScudLife

ScudLife Karting

Nov 19, 2012
    SoCal
    Great write up! Dave do you know what the exact minimum thickness is?

9. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    It's written on your discs. Mine said 35.5 mm front, 33.5 mm rear.

10. Teachdocs

Teachdocs Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2012
    Kansas City area
    Full Name:
    Chad
    The Scud CCM rotors are measured by weight, not necessarily minimum thickness. Each disc is a bit different, so it will be stamped with weight when new and a minimum weight in grams. If you have gone below the minimum thickness, you have gone below the minimum weight a long time ago.

Visual and tactile inspection is equally important. Look for fine cracks, usually starting around the cross drilled holes. Look for a surface that begins to feel somewhat rough rather than smooth like marble. As the discs wear, some of the fibers begin to wear off. They leave behind a shallow groove. Pad material will then build up in these small grooves and create temperature differences which further contributes to rapid disc failure at this point.

Pad thickness is also very important. New pads are 10mm thick of pad material. Always change before they get below 50% (5 mm). Do not wait til the brake sensors give you a warning light. The pads are affixed to the backing plates with brass rivets. At 50%, you will begin to see these brass rivets thru the pad material and touching the rotors. They create temperature differences and will contribute to accelerated disc wear.

11. gharold

gharold Rookie

Oct 4, 2010
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    Greg Harold Jr.
    Gents,

I was also quoted $2900 for front pads for my Scud so I did a little searching. I found the correct pads at Eurospares for $900 shipped to me in NJ. Before I ordered them, I checked with my Ferrari tech to confirm correct part numbers. Here is his response-

Looks like a good parts number to me. This is the price Ferrari gives me
    Part code: 70001573 FRONT PADS KIT -CCM-BREMBO Not available
    Replaced by:
    Discount Class:
    C
    Minimun Quantity:
    Price:
    After Market - Accessories
    NO

Not sure if anyone else has gone this route, but I ordered the pads and recieved them with no issues.

12. ScudLife

ScudLife Karting

Nov 19, 2012
    SoCal
    Thanks! Never noticed that

13. LeoS

LeoS Rookie

Jul 23, 2007
    Del mar
    Full Name:
    Leo
    hi Greg ,
    do you have contacts for Eurospares for the pads?
    thanks

14. gharold

gharold Rookie

Oct 4, 2010
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    Greg Harold Jr.
  15. LeoS

LeoS Rookie

Jul 23, 2007
    Del mar
    Full Name: