How many miles did you get on your OEM Pirelli tires? | FerrariChat

How many miles did you get on your OEM Pirelli tires?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by llink, May 4, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. llink

llink Karting

Nov 18, 2013
    Northern California
    I've got a 2013 Spider with 6000 miles on the od, and it looks like my rear tires need replacing. How many miles are others getting on their OEM Pirelli tires? Is 6K miles good, bad or average? BTW I purchased the car used with 4.8K miles so I'm not sure if it was tracked by the previous owner; I suspect it was not as there is no track rash on the rockers and the wheels are pristine.

2. Financialman

Financialman Formula 3

Sep 8, 2005
    San Jose CA
    Full Name:
    Dan Carpenter
    I got 13K out of mine, 458 Italia, and I could have gone a bit longer but a front tire developed a bulge on the sidewall, pot hole most likely.

3. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    7k on my 2012 Spider.

5k on my 360 Spider and F355 GTS.

The rears go first but I like to replace all the tires at the same time.

Best

4. abz

abz Formula 3

Aug 27, 2006
    PA
    Full Name:
    Al
    Why so little miles?
    Are these the approx. miles one should expect with "relatively normal" driving?
    I assume your cars were not tracked.

5. bigblock737

bigblock737 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2013
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Andy B.
    Had 15k miles on my Italia when the fronts(!) had to be changed. But those were Michelin Pilot Sport and my dealer keeps telling me you get double the mileage compared to Pirellis...

6. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M
    +1 I was told the same thing.

I have Michelins on my 458 Italia with 4600 miles and the wear is very little thus far, should get 10k out of them I hope….

7. jazztrip

jazztrip Karting

Oct 1, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I'm changing the original Michelins on my Italia this week. 17,500 miles on them. They're not at the wear bars but the rears have noticeably lost grip since around 16k miles.

8. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Depends on how the car is driven. I'd say you are around average. Its fun to put the power down so that explains the worn rears. If it was tracked frequently you would maybe get 1-2k on those miles.

9. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Not tracked.

10. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    ^^
    But based on the nice pictures you've posted in the past, I would imagine plenty of spirited drives on twisty mountain roads. :)

11. mmollo

mmollo Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2010
    [x] Texas [ ] Maui
    Full Name:
    Mike
    6000 on my old coupe. The new car has 589 miles and all four are still looking good.

12. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    Yep.had the p zeros on my 430. Pilot sports are the way to go.

13. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Side note, OEM on my M3 lasted 6k, but switched to the Michelin PSS which offered less grip but i have more than 30k on them and one hot track day.

14. deppi0

deppi0 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Edmondo
    2 track days only ;-)

15. RAKLAW

RAKLAW Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2009
    Westchester,NY & Sarasota FL
    Full Name:
    RAK
    just adding....5738 on my 16M.. Zero track days. Switched to Michelin Pilot Super Sport.
    Loving em so far. Quieter, comfortable and grippy.

16. llink

llink Karting

Nov 18, 2013
    Northern California
    It sounds like 6K miles is normal to high wear for the Pirellis based on others experience. I'm going to switch to the Michelins. Another question, do you guys buy replacement tires from your Ferrari dealer or use the usual local suspects like Americas Tire Co or Tire Rack for replacements. With the forged rims and pressure monitoring system, I'm concerned about the local guys ability to do a quality job, but don't want to get gouged by Ferrari. Any experience one way or the other to share? Thanks.

17. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    #17 PhilNotHill, May 7, 2014
    Last edited: May 7, 2014
    I have the dealer do it. Yes it is more expensive. the local tire place aka Big O dented the underside of my Pcar. I KNOW the dealer knows how to put the car on the rack and do the tires. Plus, if there is an issue with the TPMS the dealer can handle.

No way am I going to trust someone who is not a dealer to handle a $300k car. A few hundred bucks is cheap insurance IMVHO and as a % of the car cost including taxes, insurance and gas a few hundred is chicken feed.

If you are going to have one of the best (and most expensive) cars in the world it doesn't make much sense to try and save a few bucks. Also, since I am 3.5 hours from the dealer it is quite a hassle to have to make another 3.5 hour trip each way for tires or if someone makes a mistake.

Best

18. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M
    +1

19. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    I would be okay using a well-regarded indie shop that specializes in high-end wheels & cars to mount the tires, but not a mass-market chain like America's Tire.

BTW, last time I needed to replace tires, FOSV was fine with installing ones that I ordered and had drop shipped from Tire Rack. I think it saved me $20-30 per tire. OTOH, had there been a problem, it would be nice to have to deal with just FOSV rather than 2 vendors.

Is there a version of the Michelin Pilot Super Sports specific for 458s? A posting in the FF/F12 section gave me the impression there is a version specific to the F12 (not just a Ferrari version, like there is an "N2" version for Porsche).

20. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I believe that at least one of the reasons why our PZeros don't last very long is because they come (new) with very little tread. I realized this when I saw the tires on my new California 30. That's part of the setup requirements the factory has to employ to obtain the expected performance level.

Tire specs are integral to achieving expected performance and I suspect this is why there are "factory-spec" versions of PZeros as well as Michelin SSP tires. We can have tires with better tread wear but just like racing applications often involve shaving treads down, unless we don't mind "sloppier-feeling" tires, our high performance toys probably have to live with some loss of tread life in exchange for the performance we expect from our cars.

P.S. Another reason might be softer rubber compound but I can't verify that.

21. synergy

synergy Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2007
    Austin Texas
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Just spec'd my 2015 with Mich....seems like a good choice per the above ^^^

22. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I do not drift the car aka hang the rear end out and burn rubber. That is slower and hastens tire wear.

I noticed the PZeros slid over a few times in fast turns. Has not happened with Mich Pilot SS and they are pretty worn with almost 7k miles. I will probably replace them with Mich at my annual service in June.

Best

23. crazy canuck

crazy canuck Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast
    Agreed -- I think you might be on to something on the softer compounds too