How many 430 manifolds crack? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

How many 430 manifolds crack?

Discussion in '360/430' started by secondsole, Jan 9, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juan.S

Juan.S Rookie

Apr 3, 2013
    Spain
    My F1 2007, has 24k miles and they are broken months ago, I have bought the last week a FABSPEED headers and today i've left the car at the workshop

2. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    The IronMan Suit is fantastic!

3. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If you have them replaced under Ferrari's program does that extend the life of the factory warranty?

4. redduke

redduke Karting

Apr 19, 2011
    Silverstone - UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I've done 12,000 miles on my MKII headers with no sign of failure so far.

Has ANYONE needed MKIIs replacing due to failure rather than paranoia?

I also had my muffler/silencer tubes welded (£60) to cure the white dust problem. I can thoroughly recommend this!

5. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Is it a done deal that they are all going to fail? Has anybody 05-07 not had to replace them with decent mileage on their cars? Does it hurt resale value on those years if they haven't been replaced?

6. PbPedis

PbPedis Formula Junior

May 6, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    There is at least one person on this forum who needed his MkII headers replaced. Can't remember who it was.

My MkI failed at about 6000 miles.

7. RBarbieri

RBarbieri Karting

Feb 11, 2014
    Bradenton, FL
    Full Name:
    Rich Barbieri
    I have an 06 with 9,000 miles that I just bought. Based on the service documentation I have, which is decent but not complete, the headers were never replaced. Visually inspecting them I can't see any signs that the bolts/nuts ever had a wrench on them. They aren't leaking and the emissions warranty runs out shortly. I'm nervous.

8. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    I'm on my third set. Last set done in 13. First set made it to 11k. They were replaced with M2, which lasted 24k. I have an early 07 coupe.

Art

9. CChung

CChung Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2003
    Southern California
    Can you post a picture of your muffler showing the welds? I'm about to have it done on my 430 and want to show the shop what it should look like. Thanks a lot!

10. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I would recommend you bring the car to a dealer before the warranty expires and have them
    check them very carefully. They have listening devices and gas detectors that will reveal a leak long before you can hear it. The earlier a leak is discovered, the less chance of motor damage.

Dave

11. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    And if you are on good terms with the dealer, you can suggest that they replace the headers under warranty a few months before it expires.

12. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Are the dealers open to that suggestion? Don't they have to return the defective parts to Ferrari?

13. redduke

redduke Karting

Apr 19, 2011
    Silverstone - UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #63 redduke, Mar 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here's a couple of shots. The first shows the powder emerging before welding. The second shows the neat weld that can be achieved.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. MacF430

MacF430 Rookie

Jan 27, 2014
    Sweden
    What does the white powder mean exactly? That there is a leakage? I have the same on mine :(

15. F430giallomodena

F430giallomodena Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2012
    Lugano, Switzerland
    white powder comes from the insulation material they put between two layers of tinplate... the main problem with Ferrari exausts is that both tinplates are so thin that they really explode under repeated high pressure, such as high revs driving...

16. MacF430

MacF430 Rookie

Jan 27, 2014
    Sweden
    #66 MacF430, May 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve

Mine starting to do the same. I take it the muffler has to come out to do this welding?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. F430giallomodena

Mar 2, 2012
    Lugano, Switzerland
    to me, it makes no sense in changing your exaust if you have this little problem. The main problem you will have to really take care are exaust manifolds/headers which, if they do fail, can cause lots of problems to your engine.

Not Always anyway headers failure will burst your car...I mean, if your failure is on the outer tinplate, the only thing you will hear is an increased loud sound (air escaping from cracs) but this is not a severe damage for the engine.
    The worst thing meanwhile that can happen is failure of the internal tinplate, which causes metal to be sucked into combustion chamber...

The strange thing is that among all friends I have none has ever had headers failure here in Switzerland (on F430 or 360), even my car is perfect...and we drive a lot, at least more than most americans that buy cars and leave them in garage...
    Therefore I cannot understand why so many failures on cars that are basically not driven.....

19. Joe@Fabspeed

Joe@Fabspeed Karting
    Sponsor

Jul 1, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe Fabiani
    Not trying to be negative but Ferrari designs and manufactures the worlds very best dynamic passionate sports cars. Ferrari headers have been a Achilles heal and are terrible from 355 to 430 cars both the regular 430 and 430 Scuderia.

You can fix the poor design and metallurgy on 355 headers and other headers as the base material and design was poor from inception. Ferrari is a wonderful company but even Porsche has big widespread problems on engines to braking systems so even the Germans have trouble.

The Ferrari 430 headers that are being exchanged are still poor as a precat is jammed into the 4 into 1 header collector and heat and cheap materials have these failing as well. It's happening. Fabspeed designed engineered and street racetrack and dyno developed race quality simple bolt on direct replacement high performance headers for the 355, 360, 430, and 458 cars .

These headers add major sports car sound and power across the rpm band and are super easy to install. Eliminating the rediculous precat on 360 and 430 cars adds major power and sports car sound all day long and is a bulletproof permanent upgrade and fix for these cars.

Fabspeed was the very first company in the world to develop and perfect these Ferrari high performance headers.

This week end will have an open house Saturday may 10th and you are all invited and we will have plenty of 348, 355, 360, 430, 458, and a new F12 available so you can see actual components and parts and our engineering manufacturing facility with an exotic car show as well.

I love these cars but all these OEM companies cut corners on certain hard parts from Porsche to mclaren Lamborghini to Ferrari.......if you are driving these cars the catalytic converters and exhaust is often a weak point . Power and sports car sound can be liberated cost effectively and potential catastrophic damage permanently eliminated.

See you at our show or perhaps the Reading Concours!

20. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    My 2006 Spider headers went after 4000 plus mies

21. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash
    Humm, I had mine replaced last year under warranty. 05 8000 miles.. So now I am out of the 8 year deal? Or does the 8 year deal start over if they are replaced?

22. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve

Mine is an '07 that were changed at 5k miles. That is a good question that I don't know if anyone has the answer to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. maomaoferrari

maomaoferrari Karting

Jan 23, 2004
    is this a problem with F430 only or includes the Scuderia as well? I just picked up a Scuderia and am a little worried.

24. F430giallomodena

Mar 2, 2012
    Lugano, Switzerland
    scuderia is not involved , as CS isn't too..no precats means lower back pressure that causes failure.

25. 4ROARE

4ROARE Karting

Apr 15, 2012
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Martin
    I'm with 1919A4, this stuff scares me. I drive an '05 F430 and have over 24,000 miles on it. If I suffer a failure like that (out of warranty) my wife will make me take a night job as a bag boy to pay for it. And then she'd still give me grief.