sell me on the MacBook Pro? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

sell me on the MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by rob lay, Dec 12, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    if switching to MAC, which of these programs could I still run great on OS and which ones would you suggest as an alternative. I know some replacements have already been mentioned.

Adobe Photoshop
    Adobe Dreamweaver
    Adobe Premier Elements
    MS Excel
    MS Word
    MS Outlook
    WS FTP

2. bhuwan

bhuwan Rookie

Dec 27, 2013
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Bhuwan
    Hi,
    I am a Software engineer and a geek/technologist. I predominantly use OS X / Linux, though occasionally I get stuck using Windows:

The only products that require Windows:
    - RC Simulator
    - some controllers require a Windows GUI to configure
    - TurboTax Business edition

Everything else I'm able to do on the Mac
    - Microsoft Office is available for MAC and runs fine, though I find myself using Google Drive more often
    - Adobe runs fine (though I hate them and they suck).
    - Dreamweaver alternative: look at Jetbrains, or TextMate for simplicity
    - I use "transmit" from panic software for file transfer

PM me if you have any questions or need some help.

3. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Photoshop was initially a Mac app. Arguably still runs best under MacOS....

Not sure on Dreamweaver, but there's many many similar (often free) comparable apps.

Premiere; iMovie. Included. Or if you're 'serious' (need more, which is doubtful) check out Final Cut. The Pro version is the tool of choice in pretty much every pro editing suite in the world.

Excel; 'Numbers', included.
    Word; If Write (?) doesn't cut it, check out Neooffice. It's a fabulous port of OpenOffice that does all the Word/Excel/PowerPoint etc stuff you'll ever need. Is also a pretty good HTML editor/environment in my admittedly limited experience. (Ie, Dreamweaver replacement if needed.)

Outlook!? **** Outlook!..... You need a real mail program! Apple Mail is just as capable IMO.

FTP; many free ones.

Cheers,
    Ian

4. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #29 zygomatic, Dec 29, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013

Anything Adobe will work seamlessly on a Mac. MS Office will also work perfectly well -- Office for Mac just has a slightly different feel and a different release schedule.

You can run Outlook, too -- most folks tend to go with Apple's Mail.

WS FTP won't work on a Mac, but there are other FTP programs that'll do the trick. (FileZilla is the one I use most, but CyberDuck works well, too)

I think you'll find that the transition really isn't bad at all -- everything you want to do you can do on a Mac: it's just a little different.

You'll quickly learn the differences, and enjoy having a computer that simply works.

5. choots

choots Rookie

Jan 2, 2011
    Yes you can. My work laptop is a 13" MacBook Air. I am you using parallels to run Windows 7 Pro. I don't need Windows for much. I use it to access Active Directory and Visio. It runs better in a VM than it did on my last Windows PC.

Let me know if you have any questions.

6. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Just want to add that I am running Parallels with Windows 7 on my MBP. Installed an SSD as well and it's really the perfect laptop.

7. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    If you travel, I would recommend the Air over the Pro. I have both and prefer the Air. Choots is probably more knowledgable than I am but I believe the performance is similar but the decrease in weight is very nice.

8. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Air is the first laptop I like traveling with. Sleek and light. Love it. Mac OS is fine, works well, but shortcut keys are often missing and you have to use the mouse/trackpad to click on the button. It really slows you down if you are a power user, otherwise Mac is better in almost every respect. Some things are not intuitive in the settings/control panel area--but you get used to them, and you really don't need to go digging down there much, unlike Windows. Buy the best machine you can, and get the 3 year extended warranty.

All the software in your list is available for Mac OS, or there are better alternatives. For WS FTP, use CyberDuck. MS Office and Adobe apps are available for Mac platform.

9. Ferrari-F1

Ferrari-F1 Karting

Jul 12, 2013
    Southern California
    I use a dell for work because we are pc based but if I had my choice its apple all the way

1) Devices never go out, and I have had 0 problems with drivers. I have used my MacBook air 13 for 2 years now after liking ipods, iphones, and ipads and they're all very similiar

2) I haven't had to reboot MacBook air ever, other than after the occasional software update.

3) I also use Outlook and had no issues importing or using my emails on mac. IE is probably the worst

I don't have to keep McAfee or any virus protection because macs are virus free

Yes macs used to look goofy and they still have some quirks in the interface but if you can get over that you will be greatly impressed with the reliability. mine still works as fast as the day I bought it

10. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    i just bought my 3rd macbook pro.
    it has a 15 inch retina display and a 1tb ssd.

11. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    I went the other way after seeing windows phone and how well it integrates with outlook. It won't be long until platforms are almost the same.

12. SamuliS

SamuliS Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2008
    Finland, Helsinki
    Full Name:
    Samuli S
    Installed Windows 7 via bootcamp to my 13" macbook pro to be able play Dayz SA. Haven't had as much head ache with any mac product in last 8 years that I've had with the windows 7, refreshing to remember that grass on other side of the fence is full of booting, finding drivers, trying and error method. On one point I wanted actually to throw the computer to the floor...

13. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Rob, what did you end up doing? Did you try the MacBook?

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I'm going to get one, but have heard possible upgrade this summer, so no hurry. Anyone know what will be upgraded?

15. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Troll.

:)

16. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    I recently bought a Mac air and Mac mini after hearing all the supposed good things said . Now I feel like someone played a cruel joke on me.
    Mac is supposed to easier ...NOT! Plug & play NoT!. I find it to be harder and more confusing. Nor does it recognise my Android phone.

I don't see what's better about it .

17. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    I recently bought a Mac air and Mac mini after hearing all the supposed good things said . Now I feel like someone played a cruel joke on me.
    Mac is supposed to easier ...NOT! Plug & play NoT!. I find it to be harder and more confusing. Nor does it recognise my Android phone.

I don't see what's better about it . Plus it's extremely annoying have to enter a password every time I want to do something.

18. MaxPower

MaxPower Two Time F1 World Champ

Mar 28, 2006
    At sea ... aahhh ...
    Full Name:
    MP
    rob, I use an imac at home and have a macbook air for travel ...

I've setup a NAS at home with strict VPN access only ... that way i get all the HDD space I need, with adequate security, in addition to being able to access it from just about anywhere I go ...

fwiw, we used (as a family) use only windows computers ... switched over to the fruit machine 8-9 years ago and never looked back ...

19. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    Is this your first Mac?

GT

20. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    find a friend who is experienced with osX.
    after a short tutorial you will be up and running in no time.

21. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    Agreed. I was a PC user for a very long time and had a struggle for a while but it's worth it.

GT

22. pdiack

pdiack Karting

Nov 19, 2003
  23. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Thanks for link . I will study link. All my friends use PC ...I'm ready to install Windows and scrap osX and use that only

24. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I sold my MacBook Pro in the end as I tried to convert, but never ever got the windows side to work, and job wise I have to have internet explorer which does not work in Mac, and with opening a window in the virtual windows environment taking 15 minutes or more, was a waste of money

25. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    #50 DonJuan348, Aug 28, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
    First mac ... Hate it! Things are simple in windows .

I wish I could find someone to answer my questions and help me make sense .

I will review like to see if it help