Financial Analyst Job | FerrariChat

Financial Analyst Job

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Tifosi15, May 13, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    Hello everyone,

I just graduated from UT Arlington with a BBA in Finance and have been searching for a job as an analyst in the area. Can anyone offer advice or know of anyone that would hire an entry level analyst? Maybe offer a training program? As of now I'm not having too much luck finding a position as an analyst that doesn't need 2-4 years experience already.

I have a second interview upcoming with Northwestern Mutual for a position as a financial rep. which I'm not crazy about but thinking it might be a way of gaining experience and getting various licenses for the future. I am confident in myself that I could succeed in a sales position but still would prefer to not have to go that route. Is this a good way to go? Northwestern seems like a strong company to work for with good products if going this way.

I would love all forms of advice and I appreciate any and all input.

Thanks all

2. future328driver

future328driver Formula 3

Dec 10, 2001
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Ken Thomas
    Check out the careers page on TI.com. TI has finance folks attached to all of our business units and I think they frequently hire new grads for the entry level slots.

Good luck.

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Fidelity has a major presence here close Westlake, search their website for availability Westlake office. They also have a contracting company called Veritude that you may check with too, but that may be more IT than Finance. Good skill!

4. B.Ratcliff

B.Ratcliff Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 23, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    B. Ratcliff
    I am not sure Northwestern Mutual is going to give you any experience that would help you down the road as a financial analyst. The primary goal of that organization is selling Life Insurance, financial planning and investments, pretty much in that order. If that is what you are trying to do, they have an excellent training program.

Financial analyst training would be better at a big bank or brokerage, Goldman Sacs comes to mind. Most of these jobs are in NYC with a few in the Dallas area. A CFA certification would give you a huge advantage in obtaining employment but would mean more school and an exam to get certified.

If you haven't already done so, I would focus on the banking channels. Things are starting to get better for the banks since the 2008 meltdown.

5. buzzpics

buzzpics Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2013
    Frisco Tx
    My little brother married the daughter of the CIO of Dr. Pepper. He had some issues finding a job in the field before that. He now works at Dr. Pepper as a financial analyst (But he will tell you the recommendation letter he got from his father-in-law a week after his wedding had nothing to do with it).

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    yep, 99% of the analysts on Wall Street will tell you their connections had 100% nothing to do with it. :)

7. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    Will check this out, I appreciate it

I've looked into Fidelity before, I sent a resume to them so will see what happens. I will also look at Veritude. Thanks Rob

I was never big on the sales thing either I just figured some kind of experience with financial products would be better than none. I don't think I'll be going any further with them.

I have it as a future plan to do grad school if I need it, I would just like to gain real experience and get in with an employer that would pay for a good deal of it too, I don't really need any more college debt.

Thank you very much for your input.

lol, you never know...

Thank you all for your input, it is very generous

8. kens

kens Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    + what everyone else stated.

Also, roughly 60% of graduates ultimately go into areas outside their college major. If you have IT skills, you could leverage your financial education into going down that path. You may want to consider database administration.

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I was Finance/Investments major that went into IT. Hours were better and pay started out much better, I think many Finance positions turn out better in the long run if you stick with it and are good. IT kinda tops out unless you become an absolute expert in area that can name your price for contract jobs, also if you can develop something on the side :)o).

I went through initial technical training with the IT consulting company I went to work for and then for about 2-3 years I took as many technical classes as I could on side. Although I had a few technical assignments, my business background ended up putting me on a pretty good path within IT departments System Analyst, Project Adminstration (project plan & busy work for PM), Team Lead, and Project Management. The problem with that is EVERYONE can easily become a Team Lead or PM, more business minded people like me or the technical people that want more responsibility and pay. IT departments can easily get top heavy and then those guys are first to get cut. If you have solid technical skills you can always keep a position, also to be a SME (Subject Matter Expert) in as many areas as you can within the company.

I can't really recommend what to do these days Finance or IT, but certainly I would keep in back of mind any entrepreneurial ideas you have and always have something cooking. It is simply a challenge to be Ferrari Ferrari rich and be 100% satisfied with your work if you are working for someone else, especially in a big company.

10. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I would not count them out if you cant find "the ideal" job.
    Sales is a learned skill and any training now you can take with you for the rest of your life.
    Northwestern is going to put a lot more money into you than you're worth ;)
    What I mean by that is think of it as getting paid to go to school.

11. Jmorski

Jmorski Rookie

Sep 1, 2013
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Jason Morski
    Try the DFW financial planners association website. Many of the bigger investment firms and Registered Investment Advisors in the DFW area are involved with the FPA. They have a job fair once a year also. As noted above I would highly recommend getting started on your CFA level 1 designation.

12. 308geo

308geo F1 Rookie

Nov 13, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    George Benton LaFleur

100% spot-on great advice from these guys that know what they are talking about...take this to heart...and being your own boss is always the best path to happiness...but you still gotta cut your teeth to gain experience somewhere.