Introduction for hopeful 328 buyer | FerrariChat

Introduction for hopeful 328 buyer

Discussion in '308/328' started by millsj, May 13, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. millsj

millsj Karting

Oct 17, 2011
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #1 millsj, May 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Another lurker makes an introduction. I have been reading the forum over the last year or so, and am getting close to taking the plunge and start seriously looking for my first Ferrari. Before I ask for any assistance, I thought a proper introduction is in order.

Like most of you, I grew up admiring Ferrari’s and couldn’t wait to read the next review in Road and Track or whatever magazines caught my eye at the bookstore. As much as I admire the performance of the newer Ferrari’s, the 308 and 328 are the ones that I am still drawn to. Maybe it is the timeless design or the fact that those were the models when I was a kid. Whatever the reason, the 328 is the car that really does it for me.

I am one of the lucky ones and have a spouse that is also a car enthusiast. However, the Porsche 911 was the car that she always lusted after. In 2008, her old Nissan 300Z was in need of replacement and we found her a nice 2006 Carrera S. It is a great car, but the 80’s 911 still has a lure that was hard to overcome. Last year, we found an ’84 911 Targa in need of a little work that had great bones. This car has been my project over the last year or so.

We also have a Mazdaspeed Miata (factory turbo) that is our date night/track car. We both drive at the track and I am a certified PCA instructor. The Miata doesn’t get much respect until it passes a lot of “faster” cars. It is always fun to be the underdog.

Now that we don’t currently have any Porsche wants (or at least strong ones) and have room in the garage, the Ferrari search is becoming more serious. I am looking for a 328 of no specific year. I am not all that concerned with mileage and would actually prefer one with a few more miles than low mileage. A car that has sat has no interest for me.

Obviously, I would like to spend the least I can, but I also am fully aware that the cheapest car is not always the cheapest one in the long run. I am a DIYer and am not afraid of car projects, but I don’t want a neglected Ferrari. Basically, I am looking for a good driver.

I have been browsing Autotrader, Ferrari Chat, FCA, and E-Bay. Any other classifieds that I should be searching? If anyone knows of one for sale, I am all ears. If I find one of interest, I may post a link on the forum and see if anyone knows anything about it. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I know you guys can eyeball an ad and tell all sorts of things an untrained eye doesn't pick up.

Thanks for listening and I look forward to starting a thread titled “I just bought my first 328”!

Below are some pics of the wheeled children.

Joe
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. BNSC100

BNSC100 Karting

May 28, 2009
    SC
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Sounds Great. Im not far away in SC and bought a 328 five years ago. Lots of work done to it and I did a lot of research. PM me if you want exchange info and talk 308/328. I have toyed with selling mine, but each day I grow more and more fond of it. Happy to share what knowledge I have…

3. bentrm

bentrm Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    328's look nice. But buy a U.S. 308 for the giant bumpers like I did. Coz Murica!

4. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    That's all that matters Joe, welcome.

5. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I love that 1984 911. If I had one, it would be long term.

6. millsj

millsj Karting

Oct 17, 2011
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thanks for the warm welcome! You guys seem to have a very friendly and helpful community.

I'll keep you posted on the search and I am sure I will have lots of questions as I move forward.

7. TacElf

TacElf Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 15, 2010
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The 328 is a wonderful car to own, drive, and work on. Like the 308 which came before, you can do much of the work yourself if you're patient and have some small level of mechanical skills. Everything can be done with common hand tools and mechanics tools.

Personally, I liked the evolved shape of the 328 over the 308 (bumpers!) and the revised interior. Sounds like this is what does it for you as well.

While there is some near-term benefit for staying as inexpensive as possible, long term you'll want to get the best car you can afford -- and those with full history and excellent condition will come at a premium, as I'm sure you understand. Take the time to look around before making the deal: There are plenty of good ones out there. Have fun and enjoy the whole experience: From search, to deal, to ownership, to maintenance, to driving...

There's just nothing like owning your first Ferrari :D

8. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    328 are great Ferrari's. They have all the Ferrari experience with not as much pain on the wallet. And mechanically they are very solid.

I would suggest a 328 GTB but a GTS would be fun to have in Lowcountry with the beautiful scenery and nice weather. (Grew up there, that's how I know.)

Spend as much as you can on the purchase price. Things get expensive on cheap Ferrari's. And yes, anyone with decent mechanical aptitude can do the basic maintenance, specifically fluids.

-F

9. millsj

millsj Karting

Oct 17, 2011
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Agreed with getting as much service history as possible. In the long run, it is worth the extra money.

I do really like the 308's, but the evolved shape and more refinement are the deciding factors for the 328. I did not grow up messing with carbureted motors and don't think we would get along. I am decent with a wrench, but don't want to start from scratch with the carbs.

I do agree that the lines of a GTB may be better, but for what I would use a 328 for, the targa is perfect. I could care less about the body flex and such since this will be a fair weather/evening date night car. I've got the track Miata to thrash around on the track to get that sort of fix. There is nothing better than riding around at night listening to the sound of the motor. I can say that about the '84 911 and can only image what it will be like with the Ferrari V8 right behind my head. My wife has joked that we don't need any more cars that have a motor in front. No complaints there!

I do really like the 355 (not as much as the 328), but from everything I have read, the 355 is not nearly as friendly to DIY work. Seems like the 328 is one of the last Ferrari's that a shade tree mechanic can realistically work on.

10. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Millsj, welcome. Just to add to the thought, you can definitely do most of the work on a 328 yourself. They are not that complicated, and between the workshop manuals that are available on line (free), and the thousands of threads in this forum discussing almost every possible repair, you can work your way through just about anything, including doing your own timing belt changes. If I can do it, (which I have), anyone can!!

Good luck with your search and keep us up to date on how it is going.

By the way, do yourself a favor and read the "sticky" at the top of this forum on Buying a 3x8. There is a lot of great information in their on what to look for. Also, search on line for Birdman's Ferrari website. He has a great article there as well on buying a 308, and most of what's in there applies to the 328 as well. Look through the threads in this forum and get familiar with the major issues with 328s so you know what to look for when you see a car. And when you find one, invest in a good pre-purchase inspection (PPI) by a mechanic that knows Ferraris. In the long run, you'll save yourself a bundle of money having someone point out what is good and not so good about the car you are considering buying.

11. millsj

millsj Karting

Oct 17, 2011
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thanks for the Birdman's Ferrari website. I'll have to take a look. I have read through some of the buying advice threads on the FC site, but need to go back and re-read now that I am seriously looking.

Glad to hear that there are online workshop manuals available. It also appears that there are some good how-to's on this site. I'm good at following directions and have done a number of detailed write-up's on the Porsche and Miata forums that are geared toward a first timer doing the work. When I am doing a project for the first time, I like to know exactly how to do it and leave nothing to chance. I enjoy doing the how-to's to give something back to help out the next newby. From a selfish perspective, it also gives me something to go back to when I need to do the project again.

12. vdm9

vdm9 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2014
    long island new york
    Full Name:
    vasilios
    I have also been lurking around, gathering as much knowledge as possible. I have narrowed my search to the 328 GTS of 88 1/2 to 89 vintage. I am still amazed at the variety of asking prices, condition and owners. Which brings me to my question: Is it better to have a low mileage - under 10k but multiple owner car that is pristine and well maintained and records to prove, or an orig owner that needs service with higher mileage 20k? How do you really determine a fair price?
    Thanks

13. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I've owned my GTS for nearly 13 years. I wish I would've bought the GTB that I wanted originally.

Have fun in your search!

14. DNJS328

DNJS328 Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 25, 2011
    Arlington, TX
    Full Name:
    Don P.
    Great choice with the 328. I bought mine almost 3 years ago and have driven almost 10,000 miles. Like you, I went back and forth with the 308/328 dilemma but chose the 328 for reliability reasons. I haven't been disappointed. Don't save money getting one that needs a "little" work. I was given the advise to get the best one that fit my budget and haven't been disappointed. Good luck with your search and keep us posted.

15. millsj

millsj Karting

Oct 17, 2011
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Everyone says to buy the best example you can afford because it will be cheaper in the long run. If you are having a shop do all the work, I can fully understand this statement. However, if you are doing all the work yourself, does this statement still ring true?

16. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Yes, due to the cost of parts, mainly; a lot of these are becoming No Longer Available; it can be some "not so relevant" parts, but nevertheless needed: try to buy a pair of "New Old Stock" OEM fog lights, for instance...

It is difficult to compare "cost of ownership" over the Atlantic, due to differences in taxes (VAT or no VAT) labor costs, parts procurement, but I've got two 328 in the garage, a '89 GTB (for six years) and a '89 GTS (for three and a half) and mechanichally, I have had no nasty surprise, just the expected costs; a well sorted 328 is a very reliable car, and both were well sorted before I bought them.
    Buy the best one you can afford to avoid nasty surprises, those for which the bill could be staggering.
    Pay particular attention to the maintenance history as told by the bills, and what has been done, or not done, on the car.

Rgds

17. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    IMHO, the answer is "it depends." Certainly, regardless of mileage, a "well-maintained" car is always better than one with a sketchy service history. Low mileage cars can be a problem because sitting is generally not good for these cars. But if it was maintained, if hoses, fuel lines, etc. were changes, fuel properly treated and belts changed and fresh, tires of recent vintage, etc., then you have little to do other than keep up the maintenance going forward. On the other hand, if none of that has been done, or little of it, you will find yourself doing all of that work, regardless of miles, just because of the age of the car. Hose and fuel lines and tires and other things deteriorate over time, whether the car has been driven or not.

Now when you say a single owner car that needs service, what do you mean by service? A belt service? Fluids? All of the hoses and fuel lines? All that other stuff as well?

From my experience buying older cars and several older Ferraris, you have to take the car as a whole and assess what condition the car is in and what needs to be done. Yes, a good maintenance history is a good thing. But that's not the end of the inquiry.

As for price, any car (or house or diamond or anything else) is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. There are a few threads on here regarding prices. One has a list of recent 328 sales. You can look at FerrariAds on this site and see what cars have been listed for. You can look on Ebay. Look at some of the auction sites like Mecum. Check out Ferrari Market Letter, which has car listings and price ranges that are fairly up to date. Beyond that, use your own best judgment. But remember, it is easy to get caught up in the passion of buying a classic car. Buy with your head, own with your heart.

18. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    +1 on this, the GTB is a better drive.

19. Falcon

Falcon Formula 3

Aug 19, 2008
    New England Region
    Full Name:
    Falcon
    The cost of parts is so high with Ferrari's the cost of doing it yourself can still be substantial. You would be wise to buy a car with higher mileage if you want to drive it. I bought a 50k car that needed a major. Now 8 years later it has 68k and is still worth it's purchase price $36,500. Don't be fooled that low mileage means better. Had a friend buy a perfect 10k mile 328. Whenever he drove it something broke. Unused equals neglect. Also your on the right track with the GTS. Removing the roof transforms the car and the flex is grossly overstated. I owned many convertables and the 328 is not a flexible flier. I agree that the GTB is prettier but I bought the car for me and you can't look at the car when you are driving it!

20. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Howdy from Fayetteville, NC!!

Dont be afraid to check out late model QVs either. Welcome to the board and I also love the 80s 911s.

PDG

21. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    A 328 with 20k miles is just getting started. It shouldn't be considered high miles at 20k. Maybe 60k or 70k miles but not 20k.

Condition and service history are the main things, regardless of mileage. A 328 with 20k miles and a solid service history can be a great buy. Even one with a solid service history that needs an updated major is fine too. Just figure that all in the price. Tires are another thing to review. Often these cars have old tires.

As far as actual price, the pricing is firming up. Some 328 for sale are priced in the old pricing range ($35,000-$45,000). Some 328 for sale have gotten ahead of the curve ($70,000+). Obviously pricing is dependent on mileage, condition and service history. But the sweet spot for good cars, with mileage between 20k and 30k, with few mechanical things to address is around $45,000-$65,000. Yeah, I know, kind of a big range.

To any new buyers, feel free to post up cars for sale and we can help review them.

-F

22. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Yes.

23. Rich S

Rich S Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    Monterey, California
    Full Name:
    Rich Saylor
    I bought my "86 328 GTS this past December, and though I have very few miles on it due to the pickup work it needed, redoing the interior, making new seats that would allow me to drive the car with the targa roof on,and so on, I've really enjoyed it a lot, even sitting in the garage or working on it. Nearly all of the cars I've had over the past 50 or so years have been British, but there's something special about the 328, even comparing it to the 4 E-Types I've owned.

My reasons for preferring an early 328 over wither a later 328 or a 308 were- improved performance, fuel injection, galvanized steel body panels, more practical size rims (normal ones that take normal Goodyear Z rated tires at $100 each, not weirdo Michelins that cost $400 each, nicer looking bumpers, and so on.

As for GTB vs. GTS, this is a very quick sports car, not (by current standards) an ultra-high speed long distance luxury GT car; and so it really makes no sense to not be able to take the top down/off. Brilliant concept, in my view probably Porsche's best idea, ever! (For THAT matter, maybe their ONLY great idea...) How can you really enjoy the views driving through the Sierras or the Redwoods in a smallish (for Ferrari) closed car??? And I might add that having the later 328 (88-89) with ABS only gives you something else to maintain, at no small expense, and goofy looking bulging wheels, too. IMO.