New Land Rover LR2 or LR4? | FerrariChat

New Land Rover LR2 or LR4?

Discussion in 'British' started by Smiles, May 5, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I'm looking for a new car for my wife. She's attracted to both the LR2 and LR4 models. (We're not crazy about the looks of the Evoque, and the Range Rovers are too large for her city driving.)

The last time I looked at Land Rovers was 10 years ago, when the Discovery was a reliability nightmare.

What are the current cars like?

Matt

2. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I notice that Consumer Reports has no reliability info for either model...

3. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    No one?

4. porkchopious

porkchopious Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2009
    Oakton, VA
    Full Name:
    David
    We had a 2003 Discovery and it was a piece of crap! Years later, I got a new 2009 Range Rover Sport Supercharged which I traded for a new 2012 of the same. Loved both. Very powerful and look gorgeous. Also, fabulous in all the snow we had last winter. No real problems with either. However, out of warranty, any big problem would be expensive. I'd get another. The new LR2 and LR4 are supposed to be good, but I have no direct experience. I'd suggest going on one of the Land Rover forums and see what those folks say. Good luck.

5. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Thanks, David.

The two models do come with 4 year, 50,000 mile warranties.

And I've dealt for years with the Mercedes arm of the Bobby Rahal dealership, which has been fantastic.

Reliability must have improved since your '03 Disco.

Matt

6. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    I get one of them as loaners when I drop off my wife's LWB Autobiography for detailing.
    I hate LR2, nothing appealing about this car, like the LR4 a lot, closer to full size Range Rover then anything else.
    Evoque drives also great and feels like it is much more expensive then it is (if you can accept the styling).

7. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    That's good to know. Thank you, Mark.

(Who's the cutie in your avatar?)

Matt

8. Midnight Oil

Midnight Oil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 29, 2006
    Not even close, LR4. Drive them both and there won't be any question.

9. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    My best toy (my wife of 24 years).

10. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Congratulations!

Matt

11. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I had the previous gen Range Rover for 6 years almost problem free. Then I picked up a Infiniti QX56 which I hated (kept it 3 months) and went SUV shopping (drove everything out there) again and ended up with a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit V8. I have the say it drives as well (and has just as much luxury thing even speaks your text messages) as anything on the market other than a Cayenne GTS at half the price. I would have never thought to look at Jeeps but unless you need a third row or are hung up on brands I'd take a look at one before you buy.

12. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3

Mar 27, 2013
    Hunt. Bch/Palm Dsrt/Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    My assistant at work had an LR2...nightmare. Problem after problem. The LR4 is nice except when you need to load a long object like a small table etc since the door opens sideways. Can't hang anything out. My beater is a '96 RR..great machine.

13. Midnight Oil

Midnight Oil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 29, 2006
    Agreed, the QX56 is a POS when you compare it to the RR.

I've had a few RR sports, most recently the 2014 and while the jeep is nice, it still doesn't come close to the level luxury and feel the new RR's have, at least from my test/drives experience.

Have you driven the 2014 RR full size or sport? Of course, in particular the full size RR is far more than the jeep, so not really a far comparison but the sports are in the 70 and up range, which would be closer to the jeep, I suppose.

14. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Yes I did and I really did not think it was that much better and I found the Jeep more comfortable and the Summit model I bought has real wood nice leather (even on the dash) heated and cooled seats and everything that the Range Rover has and it actually all works. It had a 56K sticker I paid 49 for it. Also I only drive the SUV about 6K miles a year. Once winter is over the car sits. I no longer care about badges and I agree the new RR is nice but for twice what I paid for the Jeep just makes no sense to me.

15. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I have an LR3, 3 Supercharged RR's and a 1983 Defender 110. I love Landy's.

My 2006 LR3 runs like a champ. They're built like tanks. Only downside (which is also an upside) is the airbag suspension (computers). It's works wonderfully on and off road but does require keeping up with it. It's cheap to fix and work on though in the grand scheme of things.

LR4's are really nice and the last of a great era. I won't buy anything from LR built after 2012. They're all computers and aluminum now. But a pre 2013 LR4 would be very nice for a wife that isn't going to take it off road and mess up the leather interior.

16. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I have no experience with the LR2, but I presume a major difference with the LR4 would be cargo space in general.
    We have a 2012 LR4 and absolutely love it! We have 3 1/2 kids and being a 7 seater, the LR4 works great for lugging people around. I used it as my tow vehicle for my Lotus and it towed great as well. I'd like to keep it, but the 1/2 kid is on the way, so wife/boss wants a 2015 Escalade :(

17. Midnight Oil

Midnight Oil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 29, 2006
    I was given an lr2 as a loaner the other day. IMO, it doesn't belong in the RR line, it's so much cheaper/lower quality in every way. It just doesn't fit within the brand. It's a huge step down from any of the other models. Having said that, if one was to compare it other similar size/quality vehicles out side the brand, it's solid.

I have the third row seat in my sport but we would be lucky if even a small teenager could fit. The LR4 third row is solid, with all that nice head room. In general, I love the LR4, wish it would come in diesel.

That escalade is going to feel like a BOAT compared to the LR4

18. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    IMO, being a long time RR owner (had 9 total, since 1995) I can say that LR4 is 90% of Range Rover at 60% of the price (30% when compared to my wife's Autobiography LWB).

19. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward

Agree the 3rd row in the LR4 can fit a 6'3" person no problem. I want to keep it but Escalade is one of the few that has an open 2nd row. I'm hoping the 2015 Escalade suspension isn't too rocky.

Sent from my 16M

20. Midnight Oil

Midnight Oil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 29, 2006
    Couldn't agree more. Very overlooked IMO. I almost went with it over my latest 2014 sport but I really wanted to try the new v6 with the much better gas millage than my previous v8 gas gusler rrs.

Is the autobiography a 2014? And how are you guys liking it?

21. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    I traded '14 Autobiography for LWB, love it.
    It has Executive back seat (2 with large console) and is the ultimate family car for me in Chicago climate, both weather and social.
    My younger son who is still at home (junior HS) is 6'5" and finally has the room in the back to spare.
    I was close to pull the trigger on Ghost but this is almost matching it in opulence while the latter is not even comparable when the temps drop and snow starts to fall.
    Btw, you can really feel the difference in ride between LWB and regular one.

22. Zinhead

Zinhead Karting

Feb 29, 2004
    Chicago, USA
    We have had a LR4 for 2.5 years now with no problems. It is a great vehicle, and the build quality is much higher than earlier Land Rover products.