Any 2 Channel Stereo freaks here? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Any 2 Channel Stereo freaks here?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by life@8500, Oct 9, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SCFerrari

SCFerrari F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 30, 2013
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #76 SCFerrari, May 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    That should be incredible. Have never managed to listen to Avantgardes under decent conditions, but they certainly showed promise!

3. Max4HD

Max4HD Formula 3

Jun 20, 2006
    Florida
    I've been considering getting a Jolida FX10 integrated tube amp and a pair of Klipsch B-20 or RB 41-II bookshelf speakers to hook my IPhone up to.

Figure I'd get a much better "hi-fi" sound out of such a combo, rather than using one of the run of the mill docking station type systems that are on the market.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

4. glenv6

glenv6 Formula 3

Jul 4, 2011
    New York
    Full Name:
    Glen
    It depends upon the quality of your source files. If you have ears and you're going to play poor quality mp3s or most internet streams, the sound out your proposed system may drive you nuts. It will quickly reveal the limitations of these poor quality sources. On the other hand, lossless formats such as ALAC would sound better than through a docking station type of system...

5. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I've heard a lot of good things about Jolida. If the Jolida has a good DAC, then you're good to go.

6. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #81 miketuason, Nov 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. glenv6

glenv6 Formula 3

Jul 4, 2011
    New York
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Mike - That thing looks awesome!

8. suggett48116

suggett48116 Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2007
    Brighton,Michigan
    Full Name:
    Carl
    no high's no low's must be Bose. My audio nut buddy growing up said this every time we talked about audio gear.
    my stuff Denon amp B&W DM602's and a Sunfire true sub signature through Audio Quest cables

9. losgatos789

losgatos789 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 13, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Stu
    Receiving a Wavestream Kinetics line stage amp next week.
    Replacing the Audio Research SP14 Preamp.
    Curious to listen to the Wavestream paired to the MFA200Bs tube amps in the coming months
    Told by Brian, at The Analog Room, a lot of the Wavestream Kinetics V8 tube amp DNA is in the MFA200s.

10. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks Glen!
    Stu, let us know how it sound like once you listen to your new WK line stage amp combine with the MFA200Bs. What speaker do you have?

11. bobw

bobw Rookie

Aug 7, 2018
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    BobW
    Genesis 1.1 speakers (successor to IRS V), Audio Research Reference electronics, VPI Turntable, and PS Audio DAC, Transport and PowerPlants.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

SCFerrari and NbyNW like this.
  12. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.

Would sure love to take a listen to that system! The Genesis speakers I owned only had 2 of the spiral ribbon tweeters each (one front, one back), but I really liked the treble that driver could provide. Enjoy! :)

bobw and PTG1 like this.
  13. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I'm part way through getting my whole system together but currently running: ayon s-10 signature, into asr emitter 2 exclusive version Blue in tannoy kingdom royal carbons. I made my own speaker and rcas up with mundorf silver gold wire and wbt heads.

System sounds good but u need to upgrade my source when ayon launches a new streamer

Sent from my CLT-L09 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

bobw likes this.
  14. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

McIntosh and B&Ws here. Mainly stream Tidal thru a Bluesound Node2i. Plus a decent private CD library plugged into the Node. And whatever else I feel like listening to. So many options. Great time for music access. It’s really nice to have two channel music only.

15. bobw

bobw Rookie

Aug 7, 2018
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    BobW
    Sounds like a great setup! I’ve been using Qobuz instead of Tidal recently. Qobuz has a really large library of hi-Rez music and I find it less fussy than Tidal’s MQA - Masters.

16. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I'm running tidal to but, the ayon valve output stage just takes it to another level, highly recommend ayon gear, far superior to mainstream equipment out there but, still quite niche atm

17. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    What is really the big upside of running vinyl these days, is it just the warm analogue sound or something else I.E. Harmonics etc?

miketuason likes this.
  18. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    This setup looks crazy, must sound amazing!

Out of interest how did you you end up with this gear, have you been upgrading over years and years and will you go further or is this your final system?

I find every time I buy another component and integrate it I hear something I feel could be improved and this this "sickness" could go on forever, although £ to overall improvement seems to diminish the higher up the chain I go.

Not that I'm complaining, music is something else with a proper system, its another reason not to the leave the confines of the house which I'm finding it hard to leave anyway these days.

19. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Tidal is goofy on the Bluesound app, but think I finally have it figured out. Using the straight Tidal app is much easier and think the sound is the same. A big plus with Tidal - as a veteran the HiFi version is $11.99/mo.

I haven’t tried Qobuz yet. And Amazon is pushing CD, hi-res? music. I have a trial with that now. Just need more time to listen.

20. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    There’s something in the vinyl that you can hear which you don’t hear in the digital, vinyl gives you more of the natural sound and a little more refined. I often hear people with vinyl say that sometimes it sounded like live music but I never heard that from people with digital but I’m sure there are some with digital that can say the same thing.

bobw and PTG1 like this.
  21. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Honest question. How good is your hearing? I always wanted some really nice sound equipment but not so sure it would be worth it any more. I've always been very careful with my hearing but I know it sucks compared to what it use to be like.

NbyNW and wax like this.
  22. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I think about this too. My wife says I have dog ears with little things I hear. So hope it’s decent. I’m amazed it’s still good based on how I grew up... shooting all the time with no ear protection - ears would ring for hours, farm equipment, and then a race car (smarter then and we did get custom ear plugs made), but damn that thing was loud - sounded good too! Now I’m really careful to protect it.

In DC occasionally and I’m amazed when an emergency vehicle goes by with sirens blaring and people just ignore it. I plug my ears or step into a store if it’s a fleet of them.

bobw and Ak Jim like this.
  23. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I thi k my hearing is pretty good, I can hear trains at night that are miles away but, even if it is subjective as long as you feel it sounds better and it bring pleasure I think that's the main thing

24. SCFerrari

SCFerrari F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 30, 2013
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I use Tidal with the Roon App and works great..

Because I broke a needle one night, I swore off vinyl if I was drinking wine while listening.. which seems to be a common theme :)

bobw and NbyNW like this.
  25. bobw

bobw Rookie

Aug 7, 2018
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    BobW
    My hearing is a bit below average with slight hearing loss at frequency extremes. However, this does not limit my ability to enjoy a high end audio system (or a live concert). Many of the best audio reviewers with "Golden Ears" have some hearing loss. But, this does not impede their ability listen and enjoy a high end audio system. The joy and emotional connection of listening to a high end audio system is difficult to put into words. A high end audio system is like driving a Ferrari, while a mid-fi audio system is like driving a Kia.

Ak Jim and NbyNW like this.