LaFerrari Review Thread | Page 23 | FerrariChat

LaFerrari Review Thread

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by MisterMaranello, Apr 29, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    Square steering wheel leads to better ergonomics (form follows function) which in turn results in a better driving experience. I think it looks the business so on for my part it's a win win.

LED's are very helpful because the throttle response on these modern cars is so extreme, and they rev so quickly. When driving quickly it's both a waste of concentration and can be unsafe to try and follow the tach instead of relying the LED's. Although LaF does have an optional race dash style readout, LED's are easy to read, closer to the eyeline and don't take up any space. Think racecar.

LED's on the steering wheel were not introduced for vanity. They are yet another example (along with the square steering wheel) of F1 technology trickling down to road going cars.

The placement of the side view mirrors is the result of regulations. As far as I know, current regulations prevent production cars from using cameras as side view mirrors.

2. vlad0

vlad0 Karting

Sep 11, 2013
    Of course! Otherwise the show won't be as interesting to watch..

Hha yeah..

Is he really that much slower compared to the other two ? Did they ever go head to head in the affordable car ? I don't remember them doing that..

3. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #553 Nurburgringer, May 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    meh, superbike riders somehow manage to shift without a string of Christmas tree lights in front of their face. Probably because their ears work.

Flat bottom wheels, sure there is some function there to allow the long-legged easier access but flat top serves no useful purpose except to feed F1 fantasies (we're not quite at that level though, where ALL gauges&switches are contained in the steering wheel) and to satisfy regs that prohibit "open top" "wheels". Understandable in such a vehicle I suppose, just not my style.

Funny, when I was younger (80's and 90's) I was borderline obsessed with thicker steering wheels like Momos but these days gripping a BMW wheel is like grabbing the thick end of a baseball bat. I miss thinner, simpler wheels :/

and yeah I guess squared off tillers aren't exactly a new fad ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Ferrari *could have* put the shift lights on the screen like the p1 but how else are you going to charge $5,000 for a steering square

5. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Difficult to believe Ferrari is now critiqued for putting LEDs on the wheel. Anyone who has driven an F car in anger will appreciate their worth, the more powerful the more useful and let's face it, this current range of Hypercars have performance, certainly in acceleration terms, not far off f1 cars and if there was no purpose to them no F1 team would have them. Seriously, a ridiculous uninformed criticism.

By the way, on the LF, there is no extra charge for LEDs.

6. MisterMaranello

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    #556 MisterMaranello, May 13, 2014
    Last edited: May 13, 2014
    +1

I would like to hear arguments on how is placing them on the dash screen better? On the wheel, they are never obscured.

If LED's are a problem, don't order them. Those who don't appreciate their function are unlikely to ever drive LaF in a spirited manner. I'm glad Ferrari uses proper hardware and F1 technology in it's vehicles. In contrast to let's say McLaren, who give you a cheap looking little screen in the P1 that doesn't even have independent shift bulbs.

7. ChalStrad

ChalStrad Formula 3

Jan 22, 2004
    Lausanne Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Mann
    The LEDS are red which if you drive long and fast are a nuisance - especially at night - as the red tends to "fixate" you.

In racing cars, the lights are blue green and red and are less obtrusive while being completely legible.

In any event, the LEDS on road cars can be turned off on the car set up, so it is really a non issue!!!

8. AlexKlimt

AlexKlimt Karting

Nov 9, 2010
    This says it all.
    I totally agree.

9. MisterMaranello

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    Problem solved :)

For the record, as you are probably aware of, most race cars allow you to adjust the LED brightness for night time racing. I don't find blue or green any less intrusive than red. It depends on their brightness really - a bright light is a bright light, regardless of color.

10. ChalStrad

ChalStrad Formula 3

Jan 22, 2004
    Lausanne Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Mann
    Be it at night or during the day, green and blue are less aggressive on the eye - which is why they are used.
    The other point is that the LEDS on road cars are bigger (significantly) than on racing cars

11. LaFerrari 01

LaFerrari 01 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 14, 2013
    LaFerrari
  12. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
  13. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #563 Nurburgringer, May 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    eh maybe the steering square (love that :)) LEDs on the LaF are useful, I certainly will never find out for myself so will take your word for it.
    The P1 wheel isn't what I consider particularly attractive either... but when you're paying that kind of money on a car a "regular" looking wheel just doesn't cut it apparently. And it's style fits with the interior and exterior better than the LaF's IMO.
    Guess I'm getting old and soft because modern Porsche wheels look the best to me. Functional, comfortable, unadorned with frippery, high quality and elegant.
    The 918's is suitably blingy for it's class but give me a Turbo S wheel and I don't think I'd ever need another.

14. AlexKlimt

AlexKlimt Karting

Nov 9, 2010
    And now, what about the horn?

15. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    918 wheel looks like my turbo cayenne and turbo carerra. Which is a very functional. Gotta love german engineering and consistency.

16. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    #566 REALZEUS, May 16, 2014
    Last edited: May 16, 2014
    Or hate it for their luck of imagination and flair...

17. taunus

taunus Formula Junior

Jan 24, 2002
    Germany, Osnabrueck
    Full Name:
    Ansgar
    Mr. Kacher is about two meters tall.

18. MisterMaranello

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    Here are some interesting snippets from the evo review (Richard Meaden)

19. Sexton

Sexton Karting

Mar 4, 2014
    Does he compare it too the other 2 cars other than the braking?

20. MisterMaranello

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    Not really, it was more about the car and the sense of occasion. This is what I found.

There's also a little something about LaF's exceptionally low CG that's worth mentioning.

21. glendon

glendon Karting

Sep 13, 2013
    Thanks for posting. Overall he loved the car I presume?

22. MisterMaranello

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    Pretty much. Best cabin he's ever sat in, and performance is astonishing, combined with it being so intuitive. As he said, after a while you drive and place the car just on instict and feel.

23. LaFerrari 01

LaFerrari 01 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 14, 2013
    LaFerrari
  24. perrinnation

perrinnation Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2012
    The Detroit area
    Full Name:
    David
    The comments on the YouTube link are hysterical! Even the worst moments of LaFerrari discussion here on FChat are like the Algonquin Round Table in comparison.

25. vlad0

vlad0 Karting

Sep 11, 2013
    From CAR

"The Ferrari’s petrol engine alone has 789bhp, which is more poke than the petrol-electric co-op in the Porsche 918, and the Italian still has another 160bhp of electric motor to throw into the mix. And it’s always in the mix, because there’s no eV mode, and no gimmicky push-to-pass boost button. I think
    Ferrari has got this spot-on."