Investment: Enzo or MC12? | FerrariChat

Investment: Enzo or MC12?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by F40 LeMans, May 20, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F40 LeMans

F40 LeMans Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2009
    I'm thinking to add a supercar of these two in my garage, but I would like to know your opinion about future value of these two cars.

Best.

F40 LeMans

2. 275gtb6c

275gtb6c Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2006
    europe
    Full Name:
    oscar
    MC12, too many Enzo's and other supercars....

ciao
    Oscar

3. GHG

GHG Formula 3

Jan 29, 2008
    #3 GHG, May 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I saw a beautiful matte blue MC12 this summer and I have to say, it was much more striking than an Enzo. Enzos look more fierce, maybe, but the MC12 is truly beautiful. Compare the numbers as well,
    500+ Enzos vs 55 MC12.

Having said that, the car was massive. I cannot imagine it would be too fun to drive on the road.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. F40 LeMans

F40 LeMans Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2009
    I thought there is the reason of racing palmares that will add the value of the Maserati.....am I wrong?

5. GDautosport

GDautosport Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    NJ
    I think there's a very high correlation in the prices of the two. Don't think it would make much of a difference in the short run, perhaps in the long run the lower production mc12 may outperform.
    I would also think there are a lot more buyers of the enzo, in case you ever need to sell it quicker. In a good market, where there's plenty of money to go around like today, selling the mc12 would not be a problem, but if/when there is a downturn, you may have a harder time than you otherwise would with an enzo.

Camelot likes this.
  6. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Well said.

I should add: what the MC12 has in rarity it gives up in overall drivability. It's huge.

7. Maxige

Maxige Karting

Jun 5, 2005
    London/Milan
    Full Name:
    Max
    Enzo will always do better...especially because the MC12 is a nightmare to drive on the road given the dimensions. There are few on sale and looks like these are not moving at all, which in this market doesn't feel right...

8. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I think an enzo in a unique color (blue/silver/black) would do quite well long term.

9. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    MC12 is more rare, but the Enzo is far more liquid. I'd much rather be trying to sell an Enzo than an MC12.

10. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    Even though there are more Enzos, I think very long term the Enzo will be remembered/desired and the MC12 may be a bit more forgotten. A lot of people who are familiar with the Enzo don't even know what an MC12 is. While there are certainly 10x the amount of Enzos as there are MC12s, I think there is and will be more than 10x the market for the Enzo than the Maserati.

11. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Couldn't agree more. I think the MC12 is VERY illiquid, I wouldn't touch it. Also what is it's place in history? It's just a slightly quirky rebody of an Enzo no? The Enzo on the other hand is clearly placed in the lineage of Ferrari supercars which presumably will live on over time. In terms of collectability, if you are a newly minted 20 something billionaire in China, or silicon valley and you feel like dipping your toe into the Ferrari market, you might well be interested in buying a strip of all the supercars. I can't imagine that same guy or gal waking up and wanting an MC12. Who is it that really loves the MC12? I'm not saying there aren't many that do, I'm just not sure who they are. To the point also made above, try selling an MC12 once the music has stopped. I think there will always be buyers of an Enzo at the right price. Enzo wins IMHO.
    PS I don't know if there is a Maserati forum, try asking the question there!

12. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I think the MC12 will eventually do well. It has almost all the ingredients to do very well.

Name? yes.
    Rarity? yes.
    Racing History? yes.
    Striking? yes.
    V12? yes.

Sure it's a big but then what is the % of people who actually drive their supercar collection more than once a month? And right now, at around $1M (in europe), it's a bargain. What can you get for $1M that has all of the above? F40s are there. F50 are more. Enzos are more. Paganis are more. And again, 50 cars...(out of which let's say 5 have been crashed).

13. Diablo60

Diablo60 Rookie

May 9, 2013
    Maybe it depends by the cost of the car....
    Now the hyper-Ferrari are growing up...288 gto is at 1,5 million of €, f40 is going to 1mln € and it seems that there is a war to find a good one, f50 1mln €, Enzo 1,4 mln €....
    Mc12 has more rarity but less buyer... Maybe if Maserati will do a LaMaserati, mc12 will grow.

14. Bill S

Bill S Formula 3

Oct 2, 2004
    My friend sold his MC12 because it was too big to drive on the street and not very fun. Although they made fewer, I think this will hurt it as an investment. Most of the better investment cars are also very fun to drive.

But that's not to say you will not find one collector that MUST have one!

15. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I would have to say ENZO. The MC12 will eventually top off. I think thru time the Ferrari will crawl up and up and up.

16. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i am surprised by these negative reactions to the mc12. yes it is large, but you wont really be driving it to the supermarket too often. it is a special occasion car and will likely only be driven to events.

but to me it has other plus points
    - low volume
    - good racing history
    - nice shape
    - top comes off

i think it will linger around current prices for a while and then maybe 10 years from now will slingshot skywards. but can you carry it for the next 10 years?

17. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Exactly, especially in TdF blue or silver. A Ferrari is always a Ferrari. I find more beautiful the Enzo than the MC12 but this is a personal opinion.

:)

18. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Back when the 250 GTO was just another Italian car - the purchase of which made the purchaser's friends and family question his sanity, since a comfortable and more luxurious car could've been had for the same amount of money - owners just had fun and drove the piss out of them, parked them outside, and just generally enjoyed the experience. A 250 GTO recently sold and will soon arrive on the east coast. Something tells me that no one will spot it sitting in traffic on the Long Island Expressway, or catch a glimpse of it heading up Route 9W. It will likely spend a majority of its time sitting in a garage; probably a really nice garage ...but still, just sitting.

I'd love to speculate and say the Enzo will remain more monetarily valuable than the MC12, and that its value will continue to rise. But I can't; and I really have no idea what will happen. I can't even pontificate what other material possessions would be a good investment, let alone a better investment than a rare Ferrari (or Maserati). But I know even a "lowly" 550 or Testarossa by comparison would be a whole helluva lot more fun to drive and enjoy everyday compared to merely seeing an Enzo (or a Maserati) in the garage and driving it only on occasion.

...but I know none of that probably helps in any way, so I recommend you get an Enzo. Preferably a black one. And then tell me the serial number. :D

19. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Enzo for me.

20. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Enzo for design, sound, engin... it s Art!. Both are nice, both have a price but before talking investiments i prefer to hear my heart.
    In both case you will not lose money if you are patient.

21. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Absolutely agree with this. I think if you are a really serious collector and already have the Enzo and the other Ferrari supercars....... the MC12 then makes sense as a kind of fun and interesting variant.

Of course, you might just love the looks and that could settle it. But from an investment standpoint I think the Enzo.