375 MM S/N 0380AM gone? | FerrariChat

375 MM S/N 0380AM gone?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by FerrariStuff.com, Jan 11, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariStuff.com

FerrariStuff.com Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    www.************.com
    Full Name:
    Jack Habits
    I was reading up on this car while I was listing some stuff at the website and found that apparently it disappeared in the 1990's...

Is that true?

How can such an important and expensive car disappear in such recent history?

2. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005

Jack
    Hollywood actor Peter Helm sold 0380 AM in 1967 to Roger L. Wheeler of Huntington Beach/CA. That's when and where the car disappeared. Engine 0380 AM only was sold in 1969 by Harvey Schaub of Los Angeles to Edwin K. Niles in Encino/CA who then re-sold it to Chuck Weiss in Chicago/IL. In 2003 Roger Wheeler said that chassis 0380 AM no longer exists and was destroyed.
    Marcel Massini

3. FerrariStuff.com

Nov 1, 2003
    www.************.com
    Full Name:
    Jack Habits
    What a pitty...

Another piece of history gone...

4. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    This is the REBODIED 375 MM Spider Scaglietti chassis #0366 AM.
    Marcel Massini

5. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    Wow you are quick. Do you know all this off the top of your head? Does being a rebody matter that much? Are not most race cars from that era damaged repaired or rebodied?

6. FerrariStuff.com

Nov 1, 2003
    www.************.com
    Full Name:
    Jack Habits
    Well, it seems to have made 2.25 million US$ at auction last year....

7. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    wow. 2.25 million? I hope it ends up on the road or on a track somewhere. I think it's stunning looking car.

I have more of them and also in hi-res if you want them. I didn't feel like resizing them all

8. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    250 GT Boano chassis #0685 GT of Graeme Revell/Tony Schwartz.

The ONLY important thing in life is numbers, be it chassis numbers or US $$$$$ !!
    Stay tuned.
    Marcel Massini

9. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Thanks, very kind, but NOT now, please. My own collection includes about 75.000 Ferrari photographs already.
    Marcel Massini

10. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    LOL!

I don't even have 75 pic's of my kids let alone 75,000.

Thanks again for sharing Marcel. It's nice to have info to go with the pictures.

Take care

11. FerrariStuff.com

Nov 1, 2003
    www.************.com
    Full Name:
    Jack Habits
    Seems to have been sold in 1999 for... 4.5 million... so the 2.25 was a steal!

12. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    talk about a bath.

Where can you even get parts of cars like these? I follow Jim's threads and I can't imagine his long distance phone bill trying to track down this or that little spring or obscure parts for his cars.

13. FerrariStuff.com

Nov 1, 2003
    www.************.com
    Full Name:
    Jack Habits
    Well, I don't own that kind of cars but even for my mere mortal classics it often a matter of people "allowing you to buy" the parts.

Money is only a secundairy issue then.

Sometimes no money in the world can buy you the needed part and other times you get an engine for free...

14. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    What did it look like ?

15. FerrariStuff.com

Nov 1, 2003
    www.************.com
    Full Name:
    Jack Habits
    #17 FerrariStuff.com, Jan 12, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Mr Massini - above, we have that the chassis, less its engine, "no longer exists and was destroyed"......
    Can you speculate why that would be? Even in the time betw. 1967 - 2003, these cars were generally not without some value....
    Is it more likely that the chassis was 'donated' to build some other car? Even without its proper engine, seems as though it would have been a fine starting point for a 'barn find' car?
    I suppose this means that no one else 'owns' a car numbered 0380?
    Just curious.....

TIA,
    James
    BTW: is it known what chassis carries engine no 0380?

17. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    In 1967 such a car had almost no value at all. No, the chassis wasn't "donated" to build some other car.

As said before, the engine 0380 AM went to Chuck Weiss. He owns 0364 AM since many many years and installed engine 0380 AM in chassis 0364 AM. See also color article in Cavallino magazine etc.
    Marcel Massini

18. bentprop23

bentprop23 Rookie

May 22, 2014
    I am trying to learn as much as possible regarding 0380 AM. I appreciate the information provided here. Can you please point me to the appropriate issue of Cavallino magazine in which this car is referred? Also, do you have any other information on the manufacture of history of this car that you are willing to share. Thank you very much.

19. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    I have tried repeatedly through the years to get an answer from Roger Wheeler about what happened to the car, etc., without success. I even tried to get a mutual friend (a fellow airline pilot of Roger's) to intervene. He seems to be unwilling to respond. Even when the car was alive, with Chevy engine, he failed to answer my attempts to reach out. Don't know what else to do.

20. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    Forgive me for my wild, speculative imagination but these "no longer exists" and non-responses to gentlemanly enquiries sure sound like someone who wants to be left alone, not the former owner of a car that has gone away.

The only thing more mysterious than a loner is the secret he keeps. Perhaps it's far-fetched, but this man could well have one.

21. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Anyone know what Anamera is referencing when they claim Wheeler's ownership as late as 1996? Certainly by then, if the car still existed, its monetary value would have been understood.

Maybe we could get Ocean Joe to sniff it out? Apparently he can't get enough of these cars. :D

>8^)
    ER

PS: Strange seeing posts from Matteo.

22. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    1/12/2006 Marcel Massini says Wheeler states 0380AM no longer exists and is deatroyed.10/15 2008 M.M. states 0380 in North America.Let's see what comes next. tongascrew

23. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #25 El Wayne, May 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017