Rosberg signs up for 2 more season with Mercedes | FerrariChat

Rosberg signs up for 2 more season with Mercedes

Discussion in 'F1' started by Wolfgang5150, May 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Well there goes the silly season

2. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Guess he likes being a no. 2.

Mark

3. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Yep, unless he can figure out the Lewis Hamilton mind game. I like Nico and think he is right there with Lewis in terms of speed and talent but this is a mind and hunger thing at this level. I think Lewis made a good point the other day when he stated a person really has to be hungry to go after a title, and I get the feeling Nico has never had that required gutteral hunger Lewis had when growing up in a terrible Stevenage neighborhood living on his Dad's couch wondering if they were going to eat. Lewis has the hunger.

4. Dino Chang

Dino Chang Guest

Dec 29, 2012
    #5 Dino Chang, May 23, 2014
    Last edited: May 23, 2014
    I don't understand the negative i have been reading on the forums towards Nico. How can anyone do a better job than what Nico is doing? He is right up there with Lewis fighting for the WC, right up there. I can't recall seeing a team mate fight as close as this by team mates in recent years.
    All said and done he is doing a much better job than Mark did against Seb in the mighty Redbull. In the Merc as it is right now, no matter who you put in the car against Lewis, they will not be closer to him than Nico is. Also remember for three years Nico was the Mercs number one points scorer, but now the fastest man in the field is his team mate and Nico is chasing very well.
    Nico is doing a fantastic job and I think he will all season. If he wins the WC or Lewis wins, there can be only one, and the best man won. Some one HAS to be number two and come second.

5. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I very much agree. Nico is a top notch driver and this would not even be a contest if Nico had a teammate such as Weber or Massa etc. Lewis just wants it more and he has the mind game up and running full time.

6. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

+1

Nico does a fantastic job for Mercedes. He is a regular performer who keep bringing points.

7. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    agree

8. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Yep. Hamilton is quicker but the difference is very, very small. Nico is a great driver.

9. anxpert

anxpert Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Oceanside, CA
    Full Name:
    Enrique Mar
    #10 anxpert, May 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    His only other option was to retire.

Unless he was doing a straight swap with Alonso (who in his right mind would do that today? Neither Rosberg nor Mercedes). I think he'd rather finish 2nd every race and have the odd win in his pocket rather than fighting for scraps. Aside from the potential Ferrari seat, who else was there, that leaves him with a serious chance of scoring points, let alone podiums?

What if he gets to grips with the car a bit better next year and will be the one chased by Hamilton all year? This season too is far from over.

11. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Very true and one of reasons I like him, his dad did it the hard way 2 jobs for funding his son ect, they then got lucky when Ron D took him under his wing ..along with a good few others I hasten to add, Ham's raw talent did the rest IMO.

12. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yes a great paring, Nico keeping Ham honest all good for Merc, hope it doesn't totally destroy thier friendship, they go back along way I think.

13. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    One can't help respecting the heck out of Lewis and his way of getting where he is. Nico is no slouch by any stretch but he was coached by a great driver after great driver and Nico never had to worry about if he was really going to make it only F1, it was only a matter of when. Love em both though

14. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Too much is made of that .

Lewis Hamilton doesn't exactly come from the ghetto; his father was self-employed, having launched his own business. He was able to fund his son's karting. That's not poverty to me.

Stevenhage isn't a "terrible neighborhood", but a middle-class residential town.

Using rag-to-riches to explain his exceptional talent doesn't do him any favour.

15. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Thanks for the local perspective, by the way he puts it one would think otherwise. I suppose he probably knows only a small % would really know anyway.

16. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

The house was sold a few years back for £650k for ****s sake (in not exactly the height of the property market).

I hate the fact that so many well off people (whether they're businessmen, sportsmen or celebrities) milk the story about how poor they where.

17. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Anyway, Alonso's options just became more limited.

Rosberg staying put.
    Red Bull keeping Vettel and Ricciardo.

That leaves the unsponsored McLaren.

BHW

18. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Bas I know wealthy folk that stopped funding their sons fledgling career, because of the high costs involved in just go-carting.

Motorsport is a very expensive sport.

19. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Hummm..

To replace who? Button, who makes much noise about renewing his contract, or Magnussen after just one year?

I just cannot see Alonso returning to McLaren one year after Ron Dennis regaining control of the team.

Unless... Honda puts pressure on Dennis to recruit the Spaniard, insisting to choose at least one driver, like they did in the past. That may be part of their contract with McLaren.

20. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Aye, It's very expensive...luckily Lewis got that part all taken care of right at the moment when it starts getting silly expensive by one Mr Sir Dennis.

It's not a dig at Lewis, it's just about every succesful person wants it known how poor they where (truth or not). Perhaps in this age when everyone who doesn't have to worry about money is hated more and more by people who don't have so much, and want to be accepted more.

Hamilton and Alonso would be a **** tonne more likeable if they just shut up...;)
    Dennis has before said he wouldn't be surprised to see Alonso back. If Honda puts pressure I can see either current driver leaving...

21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Keke Rosberg was estimated to spend in excess of £100K per year when Nico was doing karting in his teens. That would be something like £150,000, right?

The Rosberg team had an articulated truck, with a workshop full of go-karts and equipment, several full-time mechanics and used to criss-cross Europe from venue to venue.

Go-karting can be very expensive at international level.

22. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    LOL yes fair enough, you mean be more like Kimi..;)

Yup Nothing surprises me in F1 anymore.

23. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Wow that's even more than I thought, but pretty much sums it up.

24. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    Wow.

Didn't know that.