F1 GRAND PRIX DE MONACO 2014: QUALIFYING ***SPOILERS*** | Page 7 | FerrariChat

F1 GRAND PRIX DE MONACO 2014: QUALIFYING ***SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, May 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Really looking forward to the telemetry review compared to Nico's prior laps.

2. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Now twitter saying not official investigation, but an investigation to investigate.

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    No worries:
    Hami will win the WDC becoming a multiple WDC and Nico will never get the title.

4. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
  5. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    +1 you are most likely dead right so I don't see why any of this much matters anyway.

6. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    No way did Nico do that intentionally. He royally screwed up but Lady Luck was on his side. Just a simple bit of fortune. Nothing to see hear- and I'm a Hamilton fan. Back to business tomorrow.

7. Mozella

Mozella Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2013
    Piemonte, Italia
    I was disappointed in the post race interview by Ricciardo. When asked about his prospects in tomorrow's race he should have said, "GREAT because chances are these two nit-wits sitting next to me will wind up in a fist fight sometime between the end of this interview and the exit of turn one tomorrow afternoon........... bwaaaaaaa ha ha ha"

Sadly, he took opted for the PC response.

8. Alex1015

Alex1015 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2005
    USA
    Lauda is a figure head at best. If there was anything insidious I highly doubt he would mention it as it would only harm Merc

9. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Nico has just renewed his contract, then this happens and the German team is behind him.

I have a feeling Lewis won't look as confident for the rest of the season. ;) At least we'll have some entertainment!

10. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Really? That's a stretch. Perhaps some gamesmanship from Rosberg, but I think we'll see two HIGHLY motivated drivers at the start tomorrow. Merc may be running away with things, but there are fireworks between the two drivers.

11. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    He acted a little sheepishly in that interview. I think it may have been gamesmanship. I thought it was just a mistake, but it was a bit too under control.

Should make for an exciting race tomorrow.

12. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    #162 Ferraripilot, May 24, 2014
    Last edited: May 24, 2014

Great point as always. Thanks Alex

I should clarify, I meant Lauda's opinion is valued to me as a driver above many others, and most certainly not as an official with MB

13. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Totally disagree.

14. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I just dunno....

You *could* be right, but I don't think he should be penalized, unless the telemetry (presumably being studied by the stewards as we write) shows solid evidence in some way.

He was balls out and we've seen a few visits to the escape roads all weekend - Just not there though (?) - I agree, it was an awfully "elegant" & damage free off, but premeditated?

Seems he may be in more trouble for trying to reverse it back out on to the track.

Nah, F1 is dead remember! :)

FWIW, Lewis is now quoted as saying "I don't know if Senna and Prost talked about it but I quite liked the way Senna dealt with that so I'll take a page out of his book." :eek:

Cheers,
    Ian
    PS - Thinking more, I'm surprised the TFHB haven't (yet) suggested it's all scripted by Niki/Toto to maintain interest in the show..... ;)

15. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    I think Nico may well get a penalty for reversing back up the road.

16. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    What does Lauda do in your opinion?

Seems to me he's the liaison with the muckety-mucks at Merc, but beyond that? He's not on the wall & has zero input to strategy and so on. Doesn't even wear a uni!

I guess he's a little more than a "figurehead" where money and schmoozing sponsors/TV etc is concerned, but I don't think he has any input to the running of the team.

Cheers,
    Ian

17. Dino Chang

Dino Chang Guest

Dec 29, 2012
    Before you all over react making assumptions. Read all of what was said in that interview, it was interesting. He did not mention Prost and Senner first, the interviewer did. He did not just blurt that out mid interview.

18. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David

It looked like Nico was driving off the line headed for the run off area.

The drivers need to learn to set their best laps early on. There was a window in 3rd qually where only two or three cars were on track and none of the front runners.

Waiting for the last minute is a stupid gamble.

19. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

If he reversed while qualy was active he could face sanction. Thats the point from what the BBC is saying. Beyond that LH will have to make a better start. This was far from a bad incident during a qual period. LH expected to get pole and through the day was simply not faster. As Lauda said - LH was faster 4-5 last races, now Nico is faster its nothing.
    LH is alluding to a Senna/Prost solution and I hope he is just being a touch arrogant. Hitting Nico on virtual purpose will not be a good thing for himself or the team. He needs to simply beat Nico on the track. If he does something foolish I will lose some serious respect for him as I think he is maturing nicely this season.

20. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    The session was over so the penalty would be stupid.

Just; but stupid.

21. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Too early in the season to start taking yourself and competitor out.
    Perhaps later ;)

22. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

With the feeling in the paddock overall against Nico I feel a penalty will be coming. It simply looks bad and the reversing part with his car might tip it that way. It also appears to make Mercedes in-capable now of controlling their drivers. Thats not a nice situation to have on appearance, even if not true. Toto is out in public now denying things about Nico. Long night is coming!

23. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
  24. Dino Chang

Dino Chang Guest

Dec 29, 2012
    But you know I love things like this. It makes for a great season and shouldl go down in history as exiting toe to toe championship rivalry. And we were there witnessing it:)
    Look how great it's been so far compared to the last few years, in which i won't remember in 10 years. This year could become a classic up there with the famous P&S.

25. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    OK, but the fact remains that's what he said.....

Monaco GP: Lewis Hamilton to deal with Rosberg spat like Senna - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com

*If* telemetry can confirm that, then I guess a penalty will be forthcoming.

I hear you, but there's no doubt that this track in particular gets significantly quicker as the session wears on - A quick lap early isn't going to get you pole - We see it over & over again - Last man standing takes it most of the time.

Cheers,
    Ian