F1 GRAND PRIX DE MONACO 2014: RACE ***SPOILERS*** | Page 26 | FerrariChat

F1 GRAND PRIX DE MONACO 2014: RACE ***SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, May 25, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    3rd. After Spa and Monza.

You can park me on a yacht near Swimming Pool, Tabac or the exit of the tunnel...or at Rascasse VIP, or one of the VIP balconies.

2. Dino Chang

Dino Chang Guest

Dec 29, 2012
    I think Mercedes would preferred Vettel instead of Alonso. Then it would be a guarantee of a German driver in a German team winning the WC.
    However this year the WC will be won by LH, a coloured English man :)
    How the world has turned.

3. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    And note that Niki himself says "I hated Prost, but at least I shook hands with him in the morning"; Poor Alain: first, Lewis who want to solve things "the senna way", then Niki who says he hated him...at least Lewis and Niki agree on being against the same guy...

Rgds

4. Dino Chang

Dino Chang Guest

Dec 29, 2012
    Lol :)

5. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I must confess I agree; I have been unable to watch it from the start to the finish since Mika Hakkinen's victory (1998); usually I watch the first fifteen laps, and then turn the screen off, catching the results later. Very boring...

Rgds

6. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    No, you have to sit in the stands. Still 3rd?

7. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    I disagree. Plain and simply, Lewis believes Nico used underhanded tactics to secure pole and got away with it. We're I in his shoes, I'd be equally upset. However, I'd also let it go at this point...continuing to prattle on about it only becomes a distraction.

Senna was VERY outspoken and often addressed the feeling that Prost and Ballestre conspired against him. He was very emotional, so I don't agree with your assessment of Ayrton. Also, I've heard so much whining from Nico prior to the race about 'how much I hate losing...TO HIM' that I highly doubt he has the mental edge. Add the spectre of cheating allegations (from his teammate) and I think it's probably a very tense environment for both of them.

The "off moment" is a very unfortunate turn of events. Had Nico beaten Lewis for pole without LH's fast lap being aborted, I think this all goes away and they get on with racing. It happened, though, it potentially screwed Lewis (we don't know what his final time would have been) and I get why he's upset.

8. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Really? I thought the comments seemed pretty calm and thought out. Lewis said "we're in competition" which caused tensions but didn't know when it escalated into warfare.

Based on Nico's post-race interviews, I think Bahrain is when it started...maybe China.

9. Dino Chang

Dino Chang Guest

Dec 29, 2012
    Agreed.
    Hey I remember Senna grabbing shuey :)
    Maybe Lewis should have done a Hunt or even a Senna and smacked him :D

10. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
  11. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    This reminds me of a book about management's techniques that was quite popular here about twenty years ago, and was called: "seuls les paranoïaques survivent" (only paranoïacs will survive). Ayrton should have known that Balestre was somewhat controversial here, and that most people tried to avoid being associated with him (this due to old world war II stories and doubts about his conduct at the time). I have always found difficult to give any credit to the Prost-Balestre connection, but Senna could believe that the entire world was conspiring against him, and that he was the only one to be right.
    On the other hand, Alain was more or less convinced that Honda was favouring Senna.

As for Lewis / Nico, I more or less expected a feud to begin "at about this period of the season"; more or less inevitable I guess, considering what is at stake, and that to succeed at this level, you are by definition a strong personnality and not a charming nice boy.

I just hope it will not degenerate into something nasty.

Rgds

12. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Not sure if still 3rd but definitely not last. Even on the stands, you're closer to the cars than just about anywhere else. I wouldn't very much like being on a track where you're so far away from the cars you can't tell what's going on where there's a 100 meter wide runoff area before the track (and an awful lot of tracks have that these days).

It might rank around 5th after Melbourne and Brazil.

In any case, for any track I'd much rather go with a paddock ticket rather than sitting on the stands. You get much closer that way. It's a lot more expensive but worth it IMO.

When I still lived in Holland I used to go to the race track every weekend and had a season paddock ticket. I think that spoiled it for me; the first time I went to an F1 race it was in the stands (Silverstone). Whilst obviously very awesome, I felt very envious of the people in the paddock...it's so much easier to get around the track and find different viewing spots there, it enhances the experience thousand fold.

A paddock ticket is more or less the same as a VIP balcony in Monaco. IIRC there are some yachts that you can buy a ticket for.

13. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    ....Team mates like fangio/Moss or Sheckter/Villeneuve are hard to come by these days, 2 guys with the same car, just trying to beat each other on the track, not out of it.....i guess when yo're as good as the ones i mentioned you can skip the politics, the whining and the bull****...

14. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Of course true, Pedro; but there was less money in the sport also, drivers' salaries were not what they are today. Remember that some drivers like the late Patrick Depailler, or Keke Rosberg, were still smoking a cigarette in the stands...

Rgds

15. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
  16. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    #641 Bas, May 26, 2014
    Last edited: May 26, 2014
  17. Dino Chang

Dino Chang Guest

Dec 29, 2012
    You really think there was no politics? There was, its just that there was no www and much interest by the world media back then. However by Moss's own admission he knew he was always number two driver with fangio.
    I have heard recordings of Jim Clark in the 60s slagging of what ever the media was back then. He hated the way they would twist things and make trouble. Jacki Stewart has even wrote about this during his time with Clark.
    No mate the polotics were always there, its just that the international media spot light was not on them in the same way as today. Or the big money contracts compared to today. But most importantly there was no social media and the monster of the World wide armchair internet expert will not have been created for another 45 years.

18. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Monaco embodies all that's best and what's worst about F1.

If and when F1 folds there will be a Monaco GP of some sort.

19. jcosta79

jcosta79 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    LaJonathan
    So what happened to Marussia? During the broadcast they kept saying that they never served their second penalty but then I see today that they kept all their points. Anyone have any info on what happened?

20. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Spa and Monza are my favorites too, classic circuits with speed and beauty.

21. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    5 seconds were added to Bianchi's final time moving him to 9th so they keep 2 points

22. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Ericson in the Caterham was 11th.
    One position out.
    Too bad for Caterham.

23. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David

Balestre was a controlling ego-maniac who made up the rules as he went along depending on whom he favored. One of the reasons I lost interest in F1 back when.
    I'll take Bernie Max any day.

On Senna; its not paranoia if its true as far as Prost-Balestre.

24. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak

Ayrton did his talking in the briefings, and in the races. He didn't go to the papers at every opportunity, and court the publicity Hamilton does. It was rare for ayrton to make public statements, and he rarely admitted his failing in public. Yes, a few times he grabbed drivers or slapped them down (such as Eddie Irvine), but he never broadcast about it, he did it. Hambone spends his time looking for the sympathy vote, and trying to make out he is hard done by. He isn't, nico qualified ahead of him, who cares why, it happened, and went on to win the race. Well done nico

25. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I like it.