Micro Fiber Towel Question | FerrariChat

Micro Fiber Towel Question

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by ncjetskier, May 29, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I am cheap and normally wash my micro fiber towels. Some of my towels end up getting leaves and junk embedded in the "fluffy" side of the towel. This normally happens when the towel has been used and ends up on the garage floor, tool bench etc.

Anybody have a useful way of getting "stuff" out of the micro fiber towel?

2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I wash my towels offten but I don't allow them to get that soiled. Griots has a utility micro fiber 20 for $20.00. I'd suggest using those for shop work and use the better ones for detailing and don't allow them to get so soiled.

3. thedoc

thedoc Formula 3

May 27, 2009
    the advice I can offer is if you suspect it still contains grit , toss it!!
    the cost of one towel vs a scratch in your paint ... not even worth the effort to think about .
    Costco sells in bulk as well .

my 2 cents

Gary
    71Espada
    63EtypeFHC

4. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    Also, don't forget, when you wash or dry them, not to use any type fabric softener, which will not allow the towel to absorb and also leave residue on your paint.

5. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks for the help. I have two piles - good micro fiber towels and "rags".

I use a leaf blower to clean out my garage and crap goes everywhere. I really need to be more careful.

6. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    Costco sells micro-fiber towels in big packs, cheaply enough not to have to wash them. I use them as rags when they get dirty.

7. rardoin

rardoin Karting

Feb 11, 2014
    Lafayette Louisiana
    Full Name:
    R Ardoin
    I have not found an easy way to remove debris from MF towels yet so I toss them if contaminated. I always blow off the floor before I clean my car to get rid of leaves/twigs and such. I am very careful not to let the towels touch the ground and use a 5gal bucket to toss them in once I use them. I go through a bunch during the wash as I use the "no rinse technique" after foaming down and pressure washing. I consider the MF towels a consumable item and replace them if contaminated or look ragged. It is amazing how tenacious MF is when leaves get caught up in it!

8. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    I buy the same ones at Costco , great deal.

9. Lucky Larry

Lucky Larry Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Frisco, Texas
    I f you want to be cheap, but still have your car look nice, just remember these towels are cheap compared to your paint job.

If I ever drop one on the floor regardless of how clean the floor may be I never use it on paint again. I use them for rags, and if they need washing I do just that in a washing machine, but never, ever, use them on paint again. I go through a lot of rags every year because of numerous cars. I really have no idea how many I use in a year, but whatever that cost is it is very minor compared to scratched paint, and it's a whole lot easier on my attitude. Most of these are the cheap fiber towels from Sam's, but I also have some that are much thicker, and super soft. If you've ever bought a Ferrari with what they call a historical color, or have any with paint considered show worthy then good towels can be considered "cheap" for many years to come. Do yourself and your car(s) a favor and don't be too cheap. You'll be glad you weren't.

10. djantlive

djantlive Formula 3

Jun 30, 2005
    throw them in the washer and see what happens?

11. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Djantlive - I have - no help. The MF towel holds onto the debris too well (and I have an old fashion washer that beats the crap out of your cloths during a wash).

I also have two teenage boys that like hunting. Some of their cloths will contain sticks, debris in pockets etc - which ends up in the MF towel in the washing machine.

I will just use them for oil rags etc. I get mine at Sams and they are inexpensive.