05596 - Barn Find | Page 6 | FerrariChat

05596 - Barn Find

Discussion in '206/246' started by isuk, May 1, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. richardson michael

Aug 17, 2013
    brittany. france
    Full Name:
    michael richardson
    It seems quite impossible how the purchaser of this wreck could turn it into an acceptable restored car...and why bother? Our current estimate,having seen total restos both sides of the pond,would be ,£150K and two years work. Can never see that being a sensible way to spend your dough,..but,Hey Hoe, someone is up for it!

2. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Hey Mr Ryan Bushell............What about the extra photos of the white GT you promised?

3. ryanbushell

ryanbushell Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Ryan Bushell
    Unfortunately not. Unless they chime in on here...

4. ryanbushell

Mar 25, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Ryan Bushell
    All in good time, all in good time ;)

5. ilconservatore

ilconservatore F1 Veteran

May 18, 2009
    Cincinnati Ohio
    I'd have to imagine that car will go to South America or maybe eastern Europe where labor is much cheaper. Do any countries still allow indentured servitude? ;)

6. ferrari-nut

ferrari-nut Formula Junior

May 24, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    ANTHONY
    Michael, I believe that this car can be turned into a stunning car. Two years, definately, maybe three. £150K restoration costs?? I think more like £200K. Total cost, approx £320K. Then you will have a SERIOUS 246 GT, two owner, low mileage ........... just what collectors are looking for. The value of Dino's in three years time? Who knows, but if you see where the market has gone in the last three years, I'm sure the new owner would be quids in if he ever decided to sell.

7. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Yeah sure, And when Mr potential buyer asks to look at the restoration photo library..........
    "Well f*** me there is only 50% of the original car!"
    And 50% is generous!!

8. disturbed67

disturbed67 Rookie

Aug 28, 2012
    Midwest
    #133 disturbed67, May 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
  10. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    Just goes to show there are still idiots around.

11. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Who's the idiot? The one who bought it or the one who let it rust to that point?

12. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
  13. ryanbushell

Mar 25, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Ryan Bushell
    Apparently the previous owner was being chased by the police, quickly pulled it into the barn, and it never left. A great story but a hell of a restoration project

14. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Unknown to me, the car l bought was subject of a long thread on this forum. It was for sale at a higher price than market then. I joined the 246 forum (a really great place with friendly and helpful members) only after l bought the car. l sure am glad no one had called me an idiot.

Best regards,

Andres

15. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I doubt that was the reason it never left the shed ... unless the car could tie him to a murder or something.

In the end if the restorer is able to get hold of some NOS front and rear clips, and door skins the car will be as good as new and pretty much as it left the factory.

Sure it will have a story to tell but you either have a unrestored car or a restored car and personally with a 50 year old car I'd rather have a restored car that is tight and works.
    Pete

16. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    If the chassis isn't rotten then i would be astounded!

17. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    Both of them.

18. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Just fix it. It's just metal.

There are TR chassis' that have been pulled out of ground fill and restored, surely this car can be restored and once again enjoyed?
    Pete

19. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    To be fair Graham there are far more expensive Ferrari models out there that have been completely rebodied with no detrimental effect upon value when done correctly. There are also quite a few Dinos in the UK that are already sporting incorrect front clips (late E series type on early E series cars) that were fitted during restorations carried out in the 80s/early90s when new clips were still available from the factory. I've also seen a few early E series cars with the late E series boot lids with the number plate light on them. None of these issues has apparently affected values thus far. I also know of at least one car that was being sent out to Brandoli in Italy for much of the body work to be replaced so it is more common than you may think.

20. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Ok you're right,maybe i am being a bit blinkered. Tell me though, Is the chassis tubing still available or is someone remanufacturing it?

21. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I believe the tubing is still available ... but again it is just metal and can be remade if necessary. Look at the Auto Restorations site for example, they can remake close to anything ...

Its up to if the owner feels it is worth while doing, or if doing themselves they have the time and ability
    Pete

22. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    Superformance list it Graham though fortunately I've never had reason to test out if it's good quality ;)

Body Parts for Ferrari 206 & 246 - Superformance

23. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
  24. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I spent alot of effort searching for the correct original oval tubing, there is one restorer in the UK who uses the last of it on customers cars only and other shops fabricate it as needed.
    The tubing comes in a couple of sizes, I even had a rolling mill lined up to make the smaller one but in the end I fabricated it with a press and running a die through to bring to the correct shape.
    I know 4 restorers who have fabricated this tubing by various similar methods and it comes out pretty good.

If you know where original tubing is available then I'd love to know!!!

I bought this item and it was unusable, this was some years back. It is a 3" mild steel tube which had been pressed and squashed so far that the long side had buckled. So it's the wrong shape and dimensionally larger than the original and alot of grinding and shaping would be needed to fit. The wall thickness (4mm from memory) is about double the original and so very heavy, installing it would have moved the shifter over a bit since it's tight up against the central tube in my L-series. On the plus side, the rubber coolant tubes would have slid in easily.
    It's under my workbench still, useful only as a 60" breaker bar...

25. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    I'm guessing the chassis tubing came from Gilco Gilco | Cartype . They may have even have made the chassis? If anyone knows anything more about it, let us know. Gilco also made Columbus tubing for Colnago etc. I found this online: http://www.trafiltubi.com/doc/eng/chisiamo2.htm . They may still be in business.

Freeman