What have you done to your Ferrari Today? | Page 11 | FerrariChat

What have you done to your Ferrari Today?

Discussion in '308/328' started by SteveGTB, Feb 5, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. skelly

skelly Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2011
    Mine's back on the road with a new clutch.

2. John M

John M Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Kentucky
    Yes it's in there. Search BigTex post with keyword Lucas. This is the earlier fan motor with the threaded shaft that applies to the i and I believe the carb cars.

3. Blackandbluedino

Apr 16, 2013
    Newport News VA
    Full Name:
    Thomas Gonnella
    Took the gt4 up to the pool store to buy new seals/gaskets for the pool pump/motor assembly that I am rebuilding today. Pool people freaked at the Dino sitting in the parking lot and I spent twenty minutes tell people about the car. Got my parts and the young guy in the store wanted to hear the engine when I started up to leave. I had been driving around for about 40 minute before I went to the store so the oil and water were right up to temperature. Waited for a good hole in traffic and then leaned on the old girl! 7000 rpm in 1st and 2nd before making the U-turn to head home. Guy was still outside grinning as I went past! Sitting at a light on the way home two more young guys in a rice rocket wanted to know what year and they really liked the car. Wonder what people will think once I get it painted.

4. Blackandbluedino

Apr 16, 2013
    Newport News VA
    Full Name:
    Thomas Gonnella
    Finally got most of the oil to stay inside the engine so I think we are ready to drive the Dino to the FCA Concours on June the 12th. Maybe once the paint is done and the A/C back in I will display the car at a Ferrari event.

5. EP328

EP328 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Took a 330 mile drive today. *Started with FOG (Ferrari Owners Group) to Lake Berryessa, then over to *Silverado Trail for brunch at Meadowood. * I then continued on, up and over Mt Saint Helena, down to Clear Lake, over to Lakeport, over the Hopland grade to Cloverdale and back home. * Beautiful day!

6. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Pulled up at fuel station, Two guy's come over and chat about car etc etc.........Drive off......loads of white smoke.....splutter splutter......stop
    These cars don't run too well on Diesel!
    3.5 hrs later home on recovery truck......Thanks AA......drain £75 worth of fuel (Good for diesel lawn mower luckily) Change fuel filter and put in some Super Unleaded....
    Hey presto back on the road.
    Moral of story.............Talk to no one when refuelling again....Ever!!

7. guygowrie

guygowrie Formula 3

Sep 19, 2011
    ct
    Full Name:
    guy s
    #257 guygowrie, Jun 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Sounds like you got away lightly, graham. My mum killed our old MB280s doing the same thing way back when stations went to self serve..

Today I finally got around to removing a door trim to confirm #10402's original color - rosso rubino metalizzato!! I'm quite pleased that this car was originally a metallic paint and quite like the color. Its currently silver/boxer but maybe one day...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. guygowrie

guygowrie Formula 3

Sep 19, 2011
    ct
    Full Name:
    guy s
    #258 guygowrie, Jun 1, 2014
    And I've been cleaning and putting a new rebuild kit into a spare set of carbs. firstly, to put the into good order in case I need them and secondly to get to know these little italian works of art. Tonight I set the float heights and assembled what I could before some plating is returned. Freshly rebuilt carbs must set the horses free....

9. nullspace

nullspace Karting

Apr 1, 2014
    Yesterday: switched to Birdman fuse blocks.
    Today: swapped in Truck-lite LED headlights, adjusted the ride height on my QA1's so I could make it over speed bumps.

10. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    Removed two 328 windshields today, one rear bumper, and two side windows. I'm doing an engine out restoration to an 86,000 mile car, and repairing a semi wrecked Ferrari that was hit on the drivers side front. Windshield needed to be removed to weld in the new front clip on the wrecked car, and the windshield just needed to be removed for paint on the restoration car.

11. Blackandbluedino

Apr 16, 2013
    Newport News VA
    Full Name:
    Thomas Gonnella
    Great Ferrari Day! Used the Dino to drop my 16 year old daughter off at a local restaurant for her band banquet. One of her 16 year old girl friends says WOW your dad drives a DINO! 16 year old girl recognized a 40 year old Ferrari!

12. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Just finished headlight upgrade that our friend Mike Tuason posted a while back. Thanks Mike!

When all else fails read the damn manual. - wife

13. edworak

edworak Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2007
    Genoa, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Ed Dworak
    This morning I drove my '82 308 from South Lake Tahoe up through Incline Village and over to Reno. On the way home the odometer turned 50,000 miles. In two weeks I will have owned the car for 27 years.

14. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Awesome.

15. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Wow, that makes me feel good about the future.

16. Blackandbluedino

Apr 16, 2013
    Newport News VA
    Full Name:
    Thomas Gonnella
    Many years ago, at an air show, I commented on the apparent poor condition of the engines of a B-25 sitting on the tarmac due to the enormous amount of oil leaking out of them. A crewman overheard my comments and said the engines were OK, they were supposed to leak oil, it was only a problem when they stopped leaking because that meant there wasn't anymore oil in the engines...
    I have been using the gt4 for every errand since I completed the major service a couple of weeks ago and parking in the driveway instead of the garage. So far there aren't any new oil stains in the driveway so there must not be any oil in the Dino!
    Swapped a Momo Super Indy steering wheel into the Dino day before yesterday and found the horn electrical connection cracking. Repaired the crack, fixed the air vent on the driver's side under the dash and repaired the loose fan indicator light in the dash.
    We are ready to go to the dance! The old girl won't be the best dressed at the party but she is going under her own power. Thursday morning we are heading to Aldie Virginia to see the Ferraris at the FCA Concours.

17. BLR308

BLR308 Rookie

Jun 21, 2013
    Papillion, NE
    Full Name:
    Bob Roegge
    Removed the seats and redyed them along with consul. Will redye the door panels next.

18. jessup

jessup Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2014
    Santa Clara CA USA
    Full Name:
    Jessup
    #268 jessup, Jun 11, 2014
  19. jimgolf1

jimgolf1 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2013
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Jim Small
    Nice. Another 308 in the Bay Area.

20. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    As you should be pumped! When was the last time two GTBs, both white, sat next to each other? The factory perhaps?

Great to hear. The 3x8's make the ideal first Ferrari, or in my case, my 10th or so. Hard to get 'em out of your system. They're that good. Enjoy!

21. jimgolf1

jimgolf1 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2013
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Jim Small
    #271 jimgolf1, Jun 12, 2014
    Fixed the headlights so my wife could take me to dinner in her 85 Euro 308 QV. Just a loose wire. It looks darker in the low light but it's Rosso Corsa.

22. Blackandbluedino

Apr 16, 2013
    Newport News VA
    Full Name:
    Thomas Gonnella
    476 flawless miles from Newport News VA to Aldie VA to see the FCA Concours, then up to Washington to see my aunt and finally back home to Newport News. Averaged 15.5 mpg running from 80+ to crawling through rush hour traffic. Car never missed a beat!
    Great looking 50s, 60s and 70s vintage Ferraris in the Concours and an F40 in the parking lot. I was disappointed to note that there wasn't a single gt4 at the Concours or in the official FCA parking lot. Only gt4 I saw the whole day was my cosmetically challenged old girl! I think I'll put her in the show next year after the paint shop trip this summer...

23. guygowrie

guygowrie Formula 3

Sep 19, 2011
    ct
    Full Name:
    guy s
    #273 guygowrie, Jun 13, 2014
    A long dreamt of garage lift was delivered yesterday, 2nd hand 6000lb bend pak mid rise courtesy of Craigslist.

First job with that in was to drop out the Ansa muffle with loose baffles - so much easier with the lift - pleasant even. Then cut the muffler open (double skinned) and drop it down to a Midas to re-weld the baffle, weld some cracks at the outlets and weld it shut again. I asked them to remove all the filling too so I am interested to hear how loud it gets!!

This is only a temporary fix as I have the parts for a new muffler but need a good welder to do a nice job.

24. jessup

jessup Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2014
    Santa Clara CA USA
    Full Name:
    Jessup
    #274 jessup, Jun 17, 2014
  25. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I had a groan in the steering when turning the wheel !/4 turn left or right. At Newman's suggestion "using an oil can oil the bearing where the column goes through the firewall". Gee he is a smart guy! Fixed.