Spark plug wire set screw - where to get? | FerrariChat

Spark plug wire set screw - where to get?

Discussion in '308/328' started by SteveG75, Jun 2, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SteveG75

SteveG75 Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2010
    FL
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    #1 SteveG75, Jun 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
    So, decided to take car to work today but started backfiring as I left house so returned home. It has been starting to run a little rough lately so I decided to pull the distributor caps and check the wires.

Anyway, quite a lot of the wires were showing open included the front coil wire. So, started to replace them with some Moroso Blue Max wire that I had sitting in the garage from another project.

When I pulled the brass set screw for the front coil wire from the distributor cap, I noticed that it was about 2-3 mm shorter than the other set screws. Looks like someone broke it off in the past and tried to sharpen it but it is not long enough to properly pierce the wire.

My distributor caps look good so I don't want to have to spend $200 just to get a set screw. Some of the other screws are corroded but should clean up ok. I just need one of the short set screws. If you look at this link and scroll down, you can see a picture of the screws. I need one of the short ones. Anyone know where to get one or have one at a reasonable price?
    Scuderia il Cavallino: More troubleshooting

Thanks,
    Steve

EDIT: Car is 1977 308 GTB, US Spec with the dual distributors.

2. Fairview

Fairview Formula 3

Mar 16, 2009
    Waynesboro, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jeff Ward
    Hey Steve,

I've got a spare set of decent used distributor caps for my 78 308 US spec. If you can't find a new set of screws, let me know and I don't mind sharing my used ones with you.

Jeff

3. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #3 finnerty, Jun 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
    On the MM caps for the injected cars, there are (2) different length set screws used in the cap ---- (4) that are equal length and real short, and (1) that is much longer. The long one goes in the center location for the coil wire. I am fairly sure it is the same scheme for the caps on the dual-distributor carb cars as well ???

Pretty hard to imagine breaking one, as they are hard machine-grade brass. Pull all your other screws (from both caps), they may have been put in the wrong locations ---- short v. long ?

Hopefully you have them all after all and just need to swap them around because replacements are probably impossible to source --- unless you buy a complete cap assembly for big $$$.

(I do have several spare screws, but I am hanging on to them like they were gold --- in case I ever lose one from my caps while servicing).

If you are truly missing one, give some of the big-name independent mechanics (Dave Helms, Brian Crall, etc.) a call ---- they may have accumulated some spares over the many years that they can part with.

In a real pinch, you could make one from a brass cheese head (or fillister head) machine screw ---- just file down the head diameter, and file a point on the tip ---- a bit tedious, but a doable labor of love :).

4. SteveG75

SteveG75 Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2010
    FL
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    The carb cars have two long screws and three short screws. On one of my caps, one of the short screws is about 2-3 mm than the rest of screws. It was the one securing the coil wire on the front bank cap. It looks like they someone tried to sharpen it but it is too short to properly pierce the wire.

5. SteveG75

SteveG75 Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2010
    FL
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    Jeff,
    Thanks for the offer. Let me make some calls tomorrow and I'll probably be shooting you a PM later in the day.

Thanks,
    Steve

6. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Ahhhh....... makes sense --- bummer.

7. Fairview

Fairview Formula 3

Mar 16, 2009
    Waynesboro, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jeff Ward
    #7 Fairview, Jun 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. SteveG75

SteveG75 Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2010
    FL
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    Jeff,

You are the man. Really appreciate this. Got all the wires cut to length last night and by swapping screws, got the front distributor cap back on. 8mm wire was lots of fun, LOL.

9. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I lost one of my set screws into a crack in my driveway, lost forever. I thought that the setscrews looked familiar so I checked some old MG, Austin Healey, Triumph caps from the 1960's. The screws were identical.

10. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I believe its the same for all years.... well for US cars anyway. Mine are the same. And yes the coil wire screw should be the same as the #1 and #4 screws. Also a little dielectric grease on the end of the wire going into the opening helps ALOT.

11. SteveG75

SteveG75 Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2010
    FL
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    #11 SteveG75, Jun 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Jeff,

Got the new plugs and wires finished today. Pulls clean to 7000 rpm with no backfiring. :)

Here is a picture of the screw you sent me compared to bad one. The bad one was originally located in a coil wire causing problems for a whole bank.

Thanks again,
    Steve
    Image Unavailable, Please Login