Maserati Khamsin | Page 214 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. abarth69

abarth69 Karting

Aug 16, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Mark
    That's the plan
    I work for a custom gasket mfg company and as soon as I can get a pattern I will have some made.

Cheers
    Mark

2. khamsin433

khamsin433 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2009
    Birmingham, UK
    Full Name:
    Balbir
    Thanks guys, all of you. Pretty much the path I was going to take anyway, but as you all say, I need to check the covers to understand the state of play in how true they are.

I'll order some new gaskets locally from McGraths just in case and see where this leads me. Cannot eat into the driving time too much as it was a pleasure to drive it yesterday in the glorious sun that we have here in the midlands (UK). Got loads of folks trying to see what it was, always makes me smile as none of the badging is very visible. Also put a smile on some of the petrol heads out there too.

Tis a rare site for sure.

Cheers

Bal

3. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Aluminum core with silicone over it. NOT ORANGE OR RED please! Black or medium grey would be great.

I wonder why it's not been done already?

Those half moon pieces out of silicone or something appropriate with a stiff core and slightly over sized would be great too!

4. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello all,

Greetings from Stockholm where I just arrived, am enjoying two incredible weeks of travel got to see two very special Khamsins in Denmark this weekend. More on these tomorrow.

For now though some powerful news, AM120234, the best of show at the event I organized with my publisher Eau Rouge Publishing in 2012, KHAMSIN QUARANTA, sold today at the Bonhams auction at Spa Francorchamps for €178250

Bonhams : Voted Best of Show at 'Khamsin Quaranta',1977 Maserati Khamsin Coupé Chassis no. AM120 234 Engine no. AM120 234

While it is slightly more (!) than the US$21000 I paid for mine 10 years ago this month and puts them a little further of some such as me it does ensure that the K has at long last finally been fully recognized and that further examples will be preserved.

This car was owned for most of its life by a very caring Gentleman in London, then by Pascal who had it a few years (and started this thread a few years ago), won best of show at K40 (judged officially by Maserati Classiche and sold it last year to a German, the person for whom Bonhams sold it today.

Best regards,

Marc

5. richjar

richjar Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2009
    Amazing price at the Bonhams auction

6. richjar

richjar Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2009
    I always use the aerospace grade Hylomar, check it out at Hylomar ? Non-Setting Compounds this is a non silicone sealant for the purpose of gasket / non-gasket sealing applications

7. OFFtrack

OFFtrack Karting

Jan 4, 2013
    Berlin
    Full Name:
    Dirk R.
    Currently have a similar problem with the cam covers. Used Curil which is manufactured by Elring who also produce the gaskets. The gaskets seem to be ok but it keeps leaking from the cam cover nuts. Tried different kind of washers before. The ones with the rubber ring inside, copper, small aluminum plates on top of the rubber ones and various combinations and different torque. Always crosswise etc. It is still leaking from 3 or 4 nuts. Am using 20W50 oil. Maybe somebody else is experiencing similar problems.

Thanks for the info about the new price record (?), Marc. Impressive car, impressive price.

8. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Try machining the surface for those nuts so they're smooth. No leaks on my Lambo and it uses the same technique but the nuts only hold the covers on no cable, ignition wire support, pollution control devices or hydraulic lines are secured as an after thought. The Bora has all of that!

9. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Thanks for the suggestion.

I've used it on other cars to good effect but will that work on those graphite impregnated gaskets?

10. BartvanderWeiden

BartvanderWeiden Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bart van der Weiden
    #5335 BartvanderWeiden, May 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Bob,

I am using the silicone for more than 30 years to seal the cam covers on my Vignale Spider and now also on the Ghibli and the Khamsin. Never ever had any problems with it! Ofcourse one needs to apply juste a very thin layer concentrating on the outer side of the cover and gasket. By no means that much that one creates "beads of stuff" coming out when tighthening! Anybody working on engines knows that we shall never "glue" them together.
    The basic sealing shall be done by the matching surfaces. The liquid gaskets stuff is just there against the sweating.
    Do agree with these brackets being attached there as well but by paying attention you can get that under control as well.

Kind regards,

Bart
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Glad it's worked for you. It can be useful in some places. I try to stay away from the oil systems with it though. I switched to anaerobic sealers a long time ago where I could and that's helped me to eliminate the cam box gaskets on one car completely. No more failed gaskets is the result and that stuff can't create any worms at all.

But cam cover gaskets should be of the metalcore and silicone variety for these cars IMHO so that you can check things without all the mess and fuss. I know of one Ghibli owner who claimed to have machined a groove for the round O-ring material to sit in. I never saw it though.

I have that setup on my Ghibli Open Cup car and it's a bit fussy to get right but if done carefully it doesn't seem to leak.

My observation has been that the silicone doesn't stick to the old V8's cam cover gaskets and eventually the oil leaks between the gasket and the silicone. How did you resolve that?

12. richjar

richjar Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2009
    Oooh, don't know about that, maybe the technical data sheet will advise.

13. BartvanderWeiden

Nov 29, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bart van der Weiden
    #5338 BartvanderWeiden, May 20, 2014
    Hi Bob,

I do not reckognize that problem, probably because I take them off every 3 years to check the valve clearances and the overall stuff. Keeping myself busy, I guess...:)

Noticed that I did put the Ghibli engine bay with the previous post, here is the K's.

Ciao,

Bart

14. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I could also be your driving conditions. I drove my car and it spent time in warm and hot weather like you never see in Europe so things got stressed more. Plenty of it was at autobahn type speeds. Do your cam cover gaskets come impregnated with graphite?

15. BartvanderWeiden

Nov 29, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bart van der Weiden
    Hi Bob,

I have had both, wit and w/o graphite. Did not notice a big difference.
    I am known for serious driving, fast but on the torque curve, but never over-stressing the material. However, this includes 120MPH cruising on the German Autobahn: these cars are just made for that. Every once in a while toe occasional Porsches challenge me and than it may happen that I push the pedal a bit deeper.:)
    Have to admit that after a trip like that the cam cover gaskets tend to sweat a little bit but no drips of oil under the car! I can live with that.

Saluti,

Bart

16. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I can't get it to stick to the graphite ones so I don't use the stuff. That's why I ended up using the Dow Corning stuff.

Yes, oil sweat LOL :D Or as I like to refer to it "The continuous flow Italian undercoating".

That's what everyone is really talking about here. Now huge major leaks. Especially now when these cars are restored to jewelry level such as your two fine examples. I used to have an entire ritual of cleaning for my Bora's engine compartment. I had already restored/remanufactured it to eliminate all of the poor finish choices Maserati had made so that I could clean it without everything coming off in the process.

I lost CV boots twice @ 150mph on long trips and was that ever a mess to clean up! But I did quite nicely because I had very durable finishes on everything that allowed for some pressure washing with a detergent.

Typically when owners see this seepage they tighten all the nuts a little bit more and that eventually leads to bad things.

I want some of those modern gaskets. I don't know what to do about all the junk Maserati attached on top of the nuts. It's pretty significant on a Bora. They followed the same practice on their Biturbo engines but at least those use rubber gaskets or O-ring material.

17. abarth69

abarth69 Karting

Aug 16, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Maserati Khamsin another one goes up for sale

Not mine

Click here for further details, photos and pricing

Version : Maserati Khamsin
    Year : 1977
    Chassis : 120202
    Km/Miles : 58000 km
    Colour : dark grey
    Owner(s) : 4
    Service book : 1
    Condition : 8
    Price en EUR 129 000

Chassis 120202. Matching numbers example. Supplied new in Germany. Only 4 owners. All original documents and books. 58.000 km since new. Completely original except a new paint by Campana in 2005. Absolutely all matching numbers including body panels (see photos). Original colour combination. Very well tuned, serviced, engine starts on the button. This is a car with absolutely no issues whatsoever with documentation and service records. One of only 425 examples produced. Available immediately.
    Click here to manage your alerts from your dashboard.

18. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Mark, there's no clickable link in your post.

Looking at the description, this should be a really nice car, so where does the price difference with the green K recently sold in auction come from? The difference is close to 40.000 Euro's. This one priced for a quick sale, or must we look at the price achieved by the green one as a 'fluke'?
    In my book both are still under-valued in what the market pays for comparable Italian classics today.

Best,

Jack.

19. richjar

richjar Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2009
    I would be interested in seeing some photographs of that Khamsin

20. abarth69

abarth69 Karting

Aug 16, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Mark
    A 1250 km trip on the weekend has filled my trailer with bunch of Khamsin parts from a scraped car. Send me a pm if you are looking for something. Glass, doors, hood, wheels, suspension, instruments , switches.

Cheers

Mark

21. paul328

paul328 Formula Junior

May 5, 2009
    Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Santoni
    #5346 paul328, Jun 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
    Due to impeccably bad parenting skills, yet another of my children has decided to go and work in the opposite end of the world from me! My eldest has accepted a post in Gosford, an area about 70km North of Sydney. She will be working as a doctor in the general hospital there.
    Anyone know the area? Any nice cars or car clubs there? Any good rowing clubs nearby?
    Any help or comments appreciated.
    Paul

22. achimguenther1

Nov 6, 2011
    Germany, Baunatal
    Full Name:
    Achim Günther
    Hello Ivan,

I dont like the original white.
    Anyways, I do all new.

I will paint it in blue sera metallic.
    I will send Photos, when the paint job is finished.
    But it needs time.
    Actually I enjoy my Alfa:
    Middle of may we visited Mille Miglia. : 4 Cars: Porsche 911s (1970), Porsche 911 (1984), Khamsin US11??, and me: 2500 Km with my Alfa Montreal. Great fun to drive together with the race: 170 Km/h on italian country roads and great shows at passo del futa.

Best Regards, Achim

23. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Achim,

Sounds like you had a great trip!

Any pics of your 'convoy'?

Best,

Jack.

24. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Achim,

I agree, white is not the best color for a Khamsin. I am now starting a restoration on an early Mistral spyder and I have been thinking of Blu Sers for the color, although I prefer non-metallic.

Best of luck with your Khamsin; I am sure it will be stunning when you are done.

Ivan

25. BartvanderWeiden

Nov 29, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bart van der Weiden
    #5350 BartvanderWeiden, Jun 9, 2014
    Hello Achim,

It took me a while but I did get them from the recomended Alfa source and mounted them.
    I put some LED lamps in the position lights, in today's traffic people tend to overlook low very fast black Maserati Khamsins:) I am happy with the safety improvement and the European looks.

Thx again,

Ciao,

Bart