308/328 Aluminum Intake Tubes | Page 5 | FerrariChat

308/328 Aluminum Intake Tubes

Discussion in '308/328' started by AHudson, Aug 10, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    Ha! YES! It's buried in our guarantee... "...and it is GUARANTEED to make your air conditioning colder PLUS your back up lights will flicker with renewed vigor (provided both of these are repaired at an authorized facility) and make your lady howl like a Llama on nitrous oxide."

I like the satin as well, but can do either. Need 3 more and I'll go into Santa's workshop. I must be giddy with the expected 328 delivery. Price is the same. 129 +9 s/h in USA. Paypal is fine. adamsAThudsoninkDOTcom.

2. pcosta308

pcosta308 Rookie

Jun 2, 2014
    I would like to purchase one as well. Polished for a QV.

Thanks

3. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    Thank YOU for the order. PayPal to above posted email and you're guaranteed in line. (We'll definitely reach the minimum, or I can just contact you afterward.) Polished for you. Just need a couple more and we can let the games begin. Thanks guys.

4. pcosta308

pcosta308 Rookie

Jun 2, 2014
    Sorry the email address adamsAThudsoninkDOTcom did not work for me in paypal. I tried .com as well.

5. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    If you'll put an "@" and a "." instead of the capitalized words above, that should do it. Trying to avoid spamination!

Thanks.

6. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    Hi Adam,

I was wondering if I could exchange my unused intake for a new one ? Mine came unpolished and without the flexible rubber "bellows" connection at the bottom. I would be happy to pay return shipping to you if you would do the exchange and pay for shipping back to me... thanks. If you will agree , please add a polished unit for my exchange to the order... thanks so much for standing behind the product !

7. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    The piping mandrel bender emailed me today to say they'd finished the order. I've got several full sets coming my way, will assemble and send in order or payments received.

Counting the one for my own car, this means only 4 are left.

If you've already paid, I have your order. If not, please let me know via PM or just go straight to PayPal address shown. (Polished is an extra $10; so 129 or 139 + 9 s/h).

And NYCFerraris, yours must be a few years old! But yes, I'll accept even after this time. Please add for polishing.

Thanks all!

8. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    #108 AHudson, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Unbelievable. I had 8 of these perfectly made Intake Tubes all assembled... about 1" too short! ARG!

Finally got them done. Thanks for your patience. Built and ready to go. Orders being filled now.

Photo of 'assembled' are polished; satin one in engine compartment (my own.)

Thanks guys. If you want one PM me. Have fun!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Awesome news! I look forward to installiing.

I got talked into getting my car judged at Concorso Italiano this year (I am an idiot) so will install afterward. It will be nice to store the fancy-pants factory dryer hose and use your supercool, adds 45+ BHP, shortens stopping distance, adds years and hair custom one.

Sounds like you have been dimensionally challenged in the past as well. I do want one that actually fits! ;-)

Miracle of miracles, my A/C system began working again yesterday (also with a little help from an R12 reload). Backup lights still don't work, but I figured out it is only the switch (replacement on order).

10. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    I had these hoses cut for 308s at 4 inches instead of just 3 for the 328s. Again, if for any reason yours is different (some Euros have been), then I'll send a 5".

It's best to put the 'shortest' hose that'll fit. These just slip under the clamps, so it takes a finer adjustment.

11. ZOOOOMZ

ZOOOOMZ Karting

Aug 14, 2013
    Austin, Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Tim Cronin
    Am I too late to buy one out of this batch? Ideally, I'd like a satin finish, and it's to fit a late 1988 328 model. If you confirm availability, I'll make payment right away. Thanks!

12. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    We are shipping out a few more today by 3pm CST, so I can possibly get yours gone either today or Friday. 'Yes', we do have a satin one for a 328. Thanks.

13. ZOOOOMZ

ZOOOOMZ Karting

Aug 14, 2013
    Austin, Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Tim Cronin
    Payment sent; THANKS for accommodating me! Can't wait to install it, to cure my car's blues (raining today, so she's lonely at home).

14. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    Yep, got it. You're in. Once you install it, realize that you're going to be feeling the near instantaneous bump of 36.5hp, give or take 37.

Truthfully, I think it cleans up the looks so much that it doesn't even matter how much more it flows.

The service writer AND technician at FoA who did my rather extensive major service said "It looks like what Ferrari should've put in there in the first place." I'm a tiny bit biased, but don't disagree. Hopefully it meets your expectation; would love to see before and after pics.

15. ZOOOOMZ

ZOOOOMZ Karting

Aug 14, 2013
    Austin, Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Tim Cronin
    I'll gladly send photos before and after. I've just completed my 60K service, degreed the cams, etc., so I'm eager to make this upgrade. I've been figuring I'd just eventually upgrade to the carbon fiber one, but that seems technologically dissonant for the 1988 328. This one is "just right". When do you think I should look for it to arrive? Thanks again!

16. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    The polished ones left today, the satin ones (yours included) leaving tomorrow (Friday). Enjoy!

17. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
  18. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    I got mine yesterday. Looks great, thanks!

19. ZOOOOMZ

ZOOOOMZ Karting

Aug 14, 2013
    Austin, Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Tim Cronin
    #119 ZOOOOMZ, Aug 2, 2014
    I received my Motovantini this week, and it looks even better in person, than in pictures! Beautiful work!
    Unfortunately, I have to call mine a Motovantini, because it seems to be a wee bit too short, for my 1988 F328. (by ~2"). See pictures for reference. It appears that the lower leg of the elbow wants to be about 2" longer (or the bulging sleeve wants to be longer), and then the silicone sleeve can be shorter, because the coupling to the throttle body will be maybe an inch...
    Or am I just completely missing something about installation?

20. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    Appears the hose is pushed way too far down. Yours is identical to mine (in my photo) and the instructions calls to have minimal overlap (to make the most if the flex). PM me if this does not correct the situation.

21. ZOOOOMZ

ZOOOOMZ Karting

Aug 14, 2013
    Austin, Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Tim Cronin
    #121 ZOOOOMZ, Aug 3, 2014
    The fact that your 328 fits, and mine so grossly did not, meant something had to be different between our cars. Investigation revealed that the right rear corner mount for the fuel distributor was disconnected, causing the entire assembly to tilt forward, dropping the air outlet about 35mm! Correcting this was the first step.

Next, I adjusted the lower sleeve on the Motovanti to have no more overlap onto the aluminum tube than barely the width of the hose clamp. Now, the fit was close enough to the throttle body that the silicone sleeve could literally have been cut to half the length. Originally, I expected the end of the aluminum tube to mate squarely to the mouth of the throttle body; once I let go of this expectation, and accepted that they are neither square nor aligned (still a good 18mm of mismatch) I was able to let the silicone sleeve compensate for the misalignment.

I smeared just a very light touch of syl-glide on the aluminum tube, and slid the sleeve on until only about an inch of it was exposed. I had to unmount the fuel distributor to allow me to connect the Motovanti to the throttle body, then remount the fuel distributor and fasten it down, before adjusting the upper sleeve and tightening all the clamps on the Motovanti. Velato!

Thanks again for a terrific product!

22. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    You have just won the coveted Motovantisti of the Year!

Man, you DID have some issues, and I'm glad you discovered the alignment of your fuel distributor was off.

When I looked at your original photos, I 'assumed ' that it appeared so low, something must be significantly off, but I don't keep my 328 at my house so I couldn't go check.

Anyway, you did a GREAT job discovering your problem and of course: solving it. We make these minimally overlap to give any engine vibration or shift the maximum room to move. The 'reaction rod' allows for most of it, but in the early stages, some people got nervous about it, so we cut the hard pipe down to current size. (I actually use a 3" sleeve on mine, yours is a 4 1/8". I am HAPPY to send you a 3" no charge if you want one shorter. The 328's are able to go shorter than the 308s.)

So glad to hear; you get bonus points for tenacity. And congratulations on winning the award! :)

23. ZOOOOMZ

ZOOOOMZ Karting

Aug 14, 2013
    Austin, Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Tim Cronin
    I would love to take you up on your offer of a shorter silicone sleeve. As you can see in the photo, the clamps work best 'square' against the aluminum tube, which leaves them looking crooked to the silicone sleeve, which is unsightly. A shorter sleeve would minimize that mismatch, and would expose more of the aluminum tube, which would look nicer, too! Many thanks!
    Tim

24. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    You got it. I only started adding the 4.125" tubes when I had a Euro 328 owner swear his 3" tube didn't fit. Being a Ferrari, whom I to say? Any other US328 owners who can do with a shorter connector sleeve, happy to send at no charge.

I know what you mean about 'square', though you can fiddle your way to this ideal by adjusting the other end. No worries - yours is on its way and thanks for the info!

25. ZOOOOMZ

ZOOOOMZ Karting

Aug 14, 2013
    Austin, Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Tim Cronin