Maserati paint codes and formulas | FerrariChat

Maserati paint codes and formulas

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by thecarnut, Jun 1, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    One of the topics that seems to always come up is to the need to identify a color, obtain the factory paint code number and then obtain a modern equivalent. The purpose of this thread is to channel all such questions into one place and hopefully over time the knowledge base will grow.

The only way this thread will gain knowledge is if people take the time to share information. If you recently had a car painted please post the color the car was painted (with photos), the factory paint code, the modern paint code (PPG, Glasurit, etc) and if at all possible the formula (which is many time printed on the paint can).

Ivan

2. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    #2 thecarnut, Jun 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Many of you are already aware of the factory paint chips posted on my website:

http://thecarnut.com/Manuals/Paint/Paint-chips.pdf

This applies mainly to the late 1960s and early 1970s cars, although some colors were used for many years.

I have included the PDF file in this post in case my website is down for some reason.

Does anybody have a different set of factory paint chips they can share?

Ivan
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    #3 thecarnut, Jun 1, 2014
  4. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    #4 thecarnut, Jun 1, 2014
    PPG lists some of the Maserati colors with their equivalent number. This list is rather old and some of these colors may only be available in lacquer, but I have found the list useful in the past as they can sometimes cross reference to a modern formula.

Available on the website:
    http://thecarnut.com/Manuals/Paint/Maserati_PPG_paint_codes.pdf

Please note that the date range on PPG list is sometimes wrong. For example the list has Argento 106E1 from 1974 though 1976 when in reality that color was used for many years. My 1968 Mistral was painted with that color, according to the factory build sheet. The paint on the Mistral was mixed using this PPG formula and it was spot on correct.

Ivan

5. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    #5 thecarnut, Jun 1, 2014
    This list of PPG codes I pulled from their website a few years ago and I finally got around to converting everything to PDF and assembling it into one document. It is labeled 1980 through 2001 but some of the colors might apply to the earlier cars. If the OEM code matches the factory code on your build sheet, you might be in luck.

This morning I posted the list on my website:
    http://thecarnut.com/Manuals/Paint/PPG_colors_1980_2001.pdf

Ivan

6. Marangen

Marangen Karting

Feb 25, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Martin M
    I will follow the development with great interest.

Hope people contribute.

My own quest for the warm silver metallic may even get resolved as a result!

:)

Martin

7. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    #7 thecarnut, Jun 1, 2014
  8. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    I made the same list for the Lancias some years ago, i know it's a difficult task. I'll try to convert your PPG list in a Lechler/MaxMeyer list. Eventually i already proved that the list posted on the Glasurit website doesn't correspond often.

9. Villard

Villard Rookie

Nov 19, 2013
    FRANCE
    Full Name:
    VILLARD
    Hi all,
    Could be useful to find the RAL codes equivalence when available.
    For instance, Rosso fueco is RAL 3001 available anywhere in "glossy" polyurethan. 1/4 of the price of specific auto color, good thick paint matching the original 60 and 70's paint and "depth" feeling. Modern acrylics are not matching the semi glossy aspect because they need 3 to 4 "varnish" coats.

red27 likes this.
  10. lineaTesoro

lineaTesoro Formula Junior
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Omar Fernandez
    Great Thread Ivan! I offer Painted Exterior Accessories for Newer Maserati models , and have been saving color codes for a while, hope this can be of use.

Subj: Maserati color codes

2014 Colors;
    Grigio Alfieri 203633
    Nero WB 229506
    Grigio Toring 68172100
    Grigio Granito 69982400

Solid Paints
    Bianco 268 ( 229089 )
    Nero 820

Mettalic Colors
    Grigio Metallo 817
    Grigio 672

Metallescent Paints
    Grigio Maratea 571
    Bronzo Siena 525
    Champagne 513

Mica Paints
    Nero Ribelle 815
    Blue Emozione 406
    Blu Passione 426
    Rosso Folgore

Pearlescent Paints
    Bianco Alpi 216
    Rosso Energia 122
    Azzuro Allegria 496

158.523 Grigio oro met
    158.530 Verde met
    158.667 Blu mica
    203.109 Rosso villoresi met
    203.633 Grigio alfieri met
    231.246 Giallo granturismo
    203.111 Rosso bologna met
    203.330 Verde mexico met
    203.808 Azzurro argentina met
    203.810 Blu luci dl mezzanotte met
    231.047 Bianco birdcage
    231.194 Rosso indianapolis
    231.339 Verde moss
    231.536 Nero
    231.865 Blu notte
    236.649 Grigio touring met
    237.869 Blu nettuno met
    290.304 Verde brooklands mica
    290.501 Nero carbonio met

11. am117au

am117au Karting

Apr 22, 2014
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg G
  12. wilde

wilde Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2009
    France
    Verde Gemma

13. Marangen

Marangen Karting

Feb 25, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Martin M
    I would say that Gemma is a lot more golden/yellow in its shade. This is more a mid/pea green. Very nice and also exactly this car's colour that I enquired about some months ago on this forum.

Real tricky, but my conclusion was more "Verde Indy". I even made a sample. This car looks just a bit more warm than my sample but that could be the lighting also.

14. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    The verde Gemma is a metallic paint, the verde Indy is a solid paint.

15. am117au

am117au Karting

Apr 22, 2014
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg G
    So..its a 50/50 chance it is Verde Gemma / Indy. I am restoring my Bora and the original color was Verde Indy which has been painted red. I am having trouble locating a car which is Verde Indy. Color charts just don't give the full picture. If anyone has a Verde Indy car and can post a picture it would much appreciated.

16. Marangen

Marangen Karting

Feb 25, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Martin M
    The verde indy sample that I had made (based on some code I got from someone. Can check) was metallic.

So I concluded that the indy green is a v close representation of that pictured car. (That car is for sale in germany. I tried to get seller to investogate with previous owner but no luck so far)

17. am117au

am117au Karting

Apr 22, 2014
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg G
    Martin
    The car pictured is going to auction by H & H Auctions Rockingham Castle: 21/06/2014. It is lot 55 if you want to see more pictures. Maybe if you take a look and compare you will be able to be certain of the color. If you dont mind i will send you a PM and get the color codes from you.

18. Marangen

Marangen Karting

Feb 25, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Martin M
    Ok. Looks like same car that I saw for upcoming auction some months ago. Thought it was Germany. Could be wrong. Or sold twice recently? Will check my emails.

Nevertheless: fantastic colour on those photos.

[email protected]

19. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    #19 Mexico074, Jun 12, 2014
    Attached are some paint chips I have.. You will note that the cover panel has the Maserati
    logo and indicates Khamsin.. You will also note someone wrote in Indy on the cover
    panel as well.. Are these official? Who really knows.. A customer could basically select
    any color they wanted, but these maybe the spec car colors..

Note: Some of these probably overlap with what Ivan has...

I have two more color chip wheels which I will post here when I get a chance...

Mike

20. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Mike,

These are great!

It would be much better if you remove the chips from the screw and place them on a flatbed scanner. Run the scanner at 300dpi or higher. Do this for both sides of the chips.
    You should end up with two high resolution files,, one for the colors themselves and the other with the back sides. Convert the two files to PDF keeping them in high resolution and place both pages in the same document. If you prefer, send me the two high resolution files and I will convert them.

Please do the same for your other chips ... this information is extremely useful!

Ivan

21. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    #21 PG1964, Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
    Ok, the chip might be useful, but in the Cozza's list there are 3 different green (2 metallic and 1 solid) in this one there is only 1 metallic green. So what's the point? Probably as many coachbuilders did in the past, they offered the standard colour scale and its own colours scale year by year. It means that the 4.2 had a colours scale, the 4.7 another one and the 4.9 too. Think about it.

22. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    It needs to be noted that where today's manufacturers may list an old colour by the correct name and code, but when you mix/spray-out the appearnce is quite different.

Glasurit techs, for instance, these days carry a wonderful analyzer, which comes up with a proper formulation for most colours, but repeating certain effects with modern formulations can still be a problem due to the nature of flakes or pearls used in the old days.

This is perhaps less critical when you paint a whole car, but when doing a panel- or spot-repair it really can become a factor.

Go to a supplier of a quality-product like PPG or Glasurit, and try to find either someone with a talent ('feel") for getting problematic colours right, or ask them to get their regional tech in to do it.

Your end-result will never be better than what whent into the spray-gun and the man who holds it.

Best,

Jack.

23. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello PG1964...

There will probably always be some confusion regarding the actual colors used.
    The only way to be certain is to obtain the build sheet. The three greens that
    Cozza lists may be what was actually used. Perhaps it is possible that more
    greens were offered, just not used.. I can't be certain either.

In the two color wheels I have, there are 4 greens listed. One is in the first
    wheel with 3 in the second. Both wheels have a cover with the Maserati logo
    on and appear to be official. But then again who knows. The four greens
    are as follows:

Verde Scuro Met.
    Verde Germoglio
    Verde Medio Met.
    Verde Pino Met.

Mike

24. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    Mike i agree with you.
    In my experience in the history of the Turin coachbuilders i learned that, except for the extra-series colurs, every models received a new colour year by year. So this Indy is a 4200, a 4700 or a 4900? Is a car produced for the European or the US market? Which is the year of production?
    A lot of questions are waiting for a reply and without a correct reply we can't proceed properly, but just arguing day by day.

25. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    #25 thecarnut, Jun 16, 2014
    I am having a 1967 Ghia 450 S/S painted Celeste Chiaro. The formula being used came from a Ghibli spyder that was recently painted. Today I saw a panel of the Ghia that was done as a test and the color looks to be spot on. Hope this PPG formula is useful to someone else.

Ivan