250TR replica @ FCA National 2014 | FerrariChat

250TR replica @ FCA National 2014

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by Bryanp, Jun 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    #1 Bryanp, Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    are replicas eligible for display?

3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Oh god. That doesnt look very good.

4. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    this is the second year in a row this has happened. Last year @ Road America, there was a fake "250GTO" displayed with the rest of the vintage class. I heard many onlookers (our Mondial was about 3 cars down the row from it) who thought they were seeing the real thing. The placard clearly said "replica" but I think it sends the wrong message and legitimizes these cars when placed amongst the real vintage Ferraris.

I was not present for the current National in Virginia, so i have no idea where, relative to the real Ferraris, this car was displayed. I am just wondering what chassis is under there.

5. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

not an accurate copy by any means.

6. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    +250

Complete waste of space on the lawn.

7. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Motion Products was planning to bring a pontoon fendered TR to the meet on behalf of a client. Wish someone had a picture of the board that is sitting in the passenger seat.

Jeff

8. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    To me it is NO surprise at all that no real TR is/was shown at the FCA Nationals.
    This year on the 17th August 2014, during the 64th Annual Pebble Beach Concours d'Elégance, there will be a special class just for (genuine) 250 TR's. I understand they have no fewer than 23 (yes, twenty three) real TR's in that class. Understandably owners of a real TR prefer going to Pebble Beach rather than to an FCA Meeting. In addition, following the Pebble Beach Concours on Sunday 17th August a privately organized week long 250 TR Tour will begin, reserved for just 15 of these cars (oversubscribed!).

And, yes, I too was shocked last year to see a poor and cheap GTO replica at the FCA Nationals.

Marcel Massini

9. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    The clear placard is sending the right message to the viewer its the pre judgemental attitude towards the owner that is wrong.

We are all enthusiasts in our own ways

Terry groves likes this.
  10. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #10 boxerman, Jun 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
    Read the latest issue of Octane, a p4 recreation thta looks way way better than the P4 rebody of what was once a authentic can am ferrari, destroyed to make a historic eventy acceptable P4. . Its all a function of standards and declaration now. In Europe recreations are accepted desired and hot. It started witht he sanction 2 DB4 zagatos giving legitaomacy to the concept. Jaguar is making 4 more lightweight etypes as we speak. Mercedes and auto union have brought back old F1 cars from the dead. Ferrari even recreated its first car.

You can buy a new build chevron B16 from chevron and half the Gt40s at the goodwood revival were Gelescoe cars, lister knobblys are back in production too. None of these cars are cheap inmauthentic or fake. They are built to the exact period stabndards and are in many ways more authentic than surviving period cars which often are heavily modified.

How many "real" pontoon fender TRs do you think actualy exist as opposed to new build GW axe chjassis plate TRs. I remmebr reading about someone retsoiring one by digging up the long buried twisted burnt cahssis of one in the 80s.

What passes for historic cars today in many instances is a piece of metal attached to a chassis plate. Yes there are varying degrees of preservation. But a lot of historic racers are not so historic as autheticaly produced. Now we have the era of authenticaly produced minus the chassis plate, that really is the difference. Not saying that is the case with the Tr at the FCA it may be a poor copy, but standards and acceptance make for proper recreations.

To be clear I am gainst cutting an old car, as happened far too often, that is a cheap destructive solution. I am, slo for preserving the surviving old racers. Like many I like to see these cars being driven in anger, as opposed to rich mans parade laps. All of which meas the era of the historic reporduction/recreation is upon us. These can and are made to an exacting standard with every peice includign bolrs engine block etc new build.

We are not talking kit car, or a cut job. The Tr at the FCA may have been an inauthentic cut job. Standards Stabndards standards, will preserve the survivors and preserve the experience and racing. Lets embrace recreations/tool room copies, standardise them and make sure people understand that they are non period build authetic machines. They will always have a lesser value, but will still be cool cars.

Either way across the pond its happensing and sanctioned by clubs and racing bodies. Seems we have a snobbery here, in the false assumption that this is necessary to preserve escalating classic values and perhaps driven by the fact that too many old cars int he USA become static concors lawn trophies as opposed to motive art.

If thngs keep going as they are, we just wont see classics racing, in fact when was the last time anybody saw a P4 squaring off with a GT40. I for one would love toi see it, and that means some new build tool room P4's and GT40's, otehrwise it will all be static lawn art.

michi and RamsHmb like this.
  11. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
  12. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    +1

13. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    A post I placed on another thread a week or so ago:

I guess most of us have a loathing for poorly executed replicas and the destruction of perfectly restorable GTs as donor cars. However, it is not quite as clear cut as that.

I believe at least one owner of a genuine GTO has a perfect copy, which he is prepared to thrash around the circuits rather than risk his $30m + baby. There are also the Lancia D50s, various 'Silver Arrows' made by Crossthwaite & Gardner for the manufacturers' own collections, countless D Type Jaguars and so on, the majority of which are pretty close to perfection.

And of course there is the oft mentioned Bugatti fraternity - who have a much more liberal attitude to top quality bitsas.

I would certainly prefer to see a superb replica in action than be restricted to viewing museum pieces at a concours. And, let's be honest, many racing fields would be seriously depleted without the appearance of some of these cars.

14. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I have no problem with this car being shown at the FCA or any other concours as long as it is labelled what it is. This one doesnt look very good, but there are some amazing reproductions out there (The P4 in Octane being one, the SWB built by GTO engineering another example, that silver 250 GTO etc..).
    It makes for an interesting and divers entry list.

I am surprised not one real 250 TR was at the FCA.

15. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    It should have said "crappy replica".

16. gimmea250swb

gimmea250swb Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    According to the placard at the Nationals, the body was done by the factory in period. It was purchased apparently after the body had been removed from the original. The body is now on a chassis with disk brakes - a '61 if memory serves. I'll check my photos to see if I took a photo of the placard because it listed a specific TR serial number.

17. gimmea250swb

gimmea250swb Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    Unfortunately, no photos of the placard. The number 15 was apparently the number of the car when it was used in a race. If I remember correctly Gendebien was mentioned in the write up as well.

18. NSXER

NSXER Formula 3

Jan 4, 2004
    Kansas
    Ferrari and other valuable racing cars are no longer being vintage raced....I have noticed a substantial decline in the last 5-6 years....even at Monterey. Europe is about the only place to see them being driven hard...

Brian

19. distance

distance Rookie

Jan 2, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    Full Name:
    josh p
  20. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I dont think it's a real 250TR body...

21. distance

distance Rookie

Jan 2, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    Full Name:
    josh p
    I was more curious about which chassis it was, but figured I'd post this in case it was helpful at all in regard to either piece.

amenasce likes this.