308 pulling to the side under braking | FerrariChat

308 pulling to the side under braking

Discussion in '308/328' started by nullspace, Jun 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nullspace

nullspace Karting

Apr 1, 2014
    I've noticed that my 308 consistently pulls to the right under braking. The pull starts immediately on pressing the pedal and stops immediately when I release.

My guess is that the left side isn't getting enough braking force, but I'm not sure where I should start looking. Is the most likely culprit a bad hose somewhere on the left side? Could it be clogged to the point that the caliper isn't clamping down? Is there a quick way to diagnose, or is this just a case of digging around until I find something?

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Yes, but it's also possible that the piston(s) is frozen/corroded into the bore. Easiest diagnostic thing to do is just raise each wheel off the ground and have an assistant gently press the brake pedal (engine off) while you manually turn the (raised) wheel to see if the brakes do, or don't, add drag at that position. Is yours a neglected 308 that has never/rarely had the brake fluid changed, or has it had a long period(s) of disuse?

PS Update your Profile...

3. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    First thing I would do is check tire pressure.

4. nullspace

nullspace Karting

Apr 1, 2014
    No my car was very well cared for with a relatively recent brake fluid flush. It also had a PPI last month and they didn't notice anything with the brakes. The pull isn't so dramatic that I can say for sure when it started though. I noticed what felt like instability under braking and it took me a few stops to realize what was happening.

Profile updated!

5. nullspace

nullspace Karting

Apr 1, 2014
    I'll double check, but I would think a big difference in pressure left to right would be noticeable coasting too.

6. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    While you are there shake and tug on all the suspension components. Is the steering tight, consistent, and accurate?

7. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I experienced this exact same thing.

Had to get the calipers re built & cleaned, there was dirt in the system - most likely from deteriorating piston. this is a serious safety issue - take care of it soon.

Do the annual flush & fill on brake fluids... it really helps.

8. daviday

daviday Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Davide

I would recommend the same along with the obvious tire/brake issue. Sounds like a bushing may likely need to be replaced. I've always had more linear feedback when components that are symmetrically engineered, are replaced in tandem with one another. Something that is often an oversight due to the economics of the original issue.

9. nullspace

nullspace Karting

Apr 1, 2014
    I hadn't even considered that - a cracked bushing could cause the suspension arm to move when the car dives under braking? Interesting. I know it needs new bushings (they are original) but I was putting it off until the winter.

10. daviday

daviday Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Davide
    I'm not very familiar with the design on the 308 but I would say most likely. Definitely replace them when you can.

11. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    If they're original they need to go.

12. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Same issue until caliper rebuild and new rotors and pads on all four corners. These ATE brakes need TLC after so long in service IMHO. Must also add that suspension bushings where also changed so can't be definitive on cause which of course makes this post useless. Sorry, it's early in the morning and only one cup of coffee so far.

13. Ehamilton

Ehamilton Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2010
    Durham, NC; USA
    Full Name:
    Eric Hamilton
    No coffee at all so far today, but I think I can make it to the submit button before I collapse...

I also had the same problem, and it took a caliper rebuild and rotor and pads to make it go away. I did not touch my bushings, so I know it was the brake work that mare the difference. (I also replaced the brake hoses at each corner, but I'd consider that de rigeur for the caliper rebuild)

14. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert

Agree! With all of it including hoses.

When all else fails read the damn manual. - wife

15. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    If you have original hoses I would replace them 1st and see what you get before I start removing and rebuilding calipers. Also if you drive on a flat smooth road at say 30mph what happens when you lock up the brakes (panic stop).

16. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Sticking caliper, I had the same thing however with a fair bit of use it came round and is absolutely fine now.