Smoking clutch on 430 while being put on tow | FerrariChat

Smoking clutch on 430 while being put on tow

Discussion in '360/430' started by Jeffrh, Jun 14, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jeffrh

Jeffrh Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Nor cal
    Full Name:
    El jefe
    I had my car picked up for its annual service and as the guy is putting it up on the truck I turned away for a minute or so to put my daughter inside the house. I look out the window and instead of winching it up he drives it up the incline and the clutch is smoking like crazy. Now I am paranoid how much wear he put on the clutch. The more I think about it the more worked up I get.

Am I over reacting? No way I use that company again. The dealership had recommended / set it up.

2. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.
    What? Could you see smoke or just smell the clutch? My dealer comes to the house and gets it and drops it off (for free). The guy who drives it up onto their trucks knows what he is doing and never gives me any headache. He does it all day every day and drives their trucks so he has the drill down. No third party. Regardless clutches don't last forever.

3. Serpent Driver

Serpent Driver Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2004
    Norway
    This definetly put some serious weare on your clutch and may also burned your flywheel..

4. Jeffrh

Jeffrh Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Nor cal
    Full Name:
    El jefe
    It was smoke. Not just the smell.

5. OUMick

OUMick Formula 3

Apr 26, 2014
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I would flip out. I'd be calling them for some compensation.

6. Jeffrh

Jeffrh Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Nor cal
    Full Name:
    El jefe
    Will see what the dealership says re wear on Monday. Frustrating.

7. racer959

racer959 Karting

Feb 27, 2004
    NJ
    I would have called the stealership right there, that's BULL****

8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    No need to ever drive them up. That's what the winch and tow hook are for. The operator was just lazy.

9. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Yah..last week a valet wanted to park mine...said it was for liability reasons...told him to stuff it... nicely..and he let me park my car. I really don't like anyone unfamiliar with MY car doing anything with it...period.

10. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Smoking clutch = BAD. I would definitely complain.

11. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    A normal procedure for trucks with ramps is for the driver to put on the handbrake lightly and then drive up the ramp to prevent slipping back down. Works fine on a Corvette with a bullet-proof clutch, but really eats up a Ferrari clutch, F1 or three pedal. Sounds like you either got that or numbnuts had it in 2nd or 3rd gear.

12. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.

You are not over reacting from what you describe. Was this a Ferrari dealership? If so, don't they have their own people/trucks who know how to drive/handle these abnormal cars?

13. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'd be super pissed. No way that should happen. Car should have been winched or they should have the proper tow vehicle for exotics...one with a lift gate.

14. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Even very slight clutch smell would bother me. Visible smoke from the clutch is a bad sign that the clutch/flywheel and pressure plate have been overheated and damaged. I would be pissed to the point of having them compensate me for the damage.

15. 53ford

53ford Karting

Nov 13, 2009
    I had a similar experience while slipping the clutch going up a steep driveway in my '01 360 (3pedal). Made a good sized cloud of smoke and scared me. That was 5 years and 30,000km ago, still works perfectly. I'd be less than pleased with that driver and I'd let the dealership know, but I wouldn't get too worked up just yet. Let your mind rest until you are sure you have a disaster.

16. Jeffrh

Jeffrh Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Nor cal
    Full Name:
    El jefe
    Appreciate it. Dealer checked everything out today and based on what they are telling me (and it wasn't their tow or driver) everything checks out. Only concern in my mind is I bought it last year, put on a little over 4000 miles since and at the time I believe over 80 percent clutch life. Telling me now the clutch life is just under 30 percent.

17. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    30 percent remaining or 30 percent worn?
    30% remaining doesnt make sense if it was at 80% 4000 miles ago.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

18. Jeffrh

Jeffrh Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Nor cal
    Full Name:
    El jefe
    Appreciate it. Dealer checked everything out today and based on what they are telling me (and it wasn't their tow or driver) everything checks out. Only concern in my mind is I bought it last year, put on a little over 4000 miles since and at the time I believe over 80 percent clutch life. Telling me now the clutch life is just under 30 percent.

19. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Danger Will Robinson.

1) Original reading was incorrect.
    2) Recent reading was incorrect.
    3) The clutch has indeed been smoked, or the car driven was really poorly in the last 4000 miles.

Pick one.

20. Jeffrh

Jeffrh Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Nor cal
    Full Name:
    El jefe
    Well it has nothing to do with how I drove it in the last 4000

21. Jeffrh

Jeffrh Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Nor cal
    Full Name:
    El jefe
    I spoke to the dealership and they clarified. Sounds like clutch wear (not remaining) went from 18 percent to 28 percent over 4000 miles which actually seems pretty normal. I may have over reacted but not fun watching the clutch smoke.

22. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    An unfortunate event and I'm glad to see that there doesn't seem to have been any serious damage.

The truck driver was probably trying to do the right thing by you and the car, "babying" her up the ramp when the better method would have been to have driven it right on up with "purpose".

Better, of course, to winch it up and remove all risk.

23. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Well, at least it wasn't loaded the way I saw a driver trying to load an 80s MB SL onto an open gooseneck 6-car trailer on PCH in South Laguna Beach the other day. The MB must have been without its own power - he was using a 70s van to try push it up, smooking tires and everything... what a show... I was on my road bike riding home from work, but should have stopped for pics and video...

24. Jeffrh

Jeffrh Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Nor cal
    Full Name:
    El jefe
    In a year of ownership I am beginning to think these cars (modern ferraris) aren't as delicate as I picture in my head.

For some reason I have this bias towards babying the 430 whereas I have no qualms about daily driving and tracking my 911 turbo.