Jag V12 | Page 33 | FerrariChat

Jag V12

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nickt, Feb 1, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MondialNeil

MondialNeil Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2007
    Bucks,UK
    Full Name:
    Neil S Perry
    Amazing work. love the engine and turbos.

2. rmdferrari

rmdferrari Formula 3

Jan 6, 2005
    Gatwick, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Sounds good, Nick. Surely a couple of weeks from its MOT and maiden voyage? ;)

3. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    #803 Nickt, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am spending just about every waking minute sanding the body down, it will be sooooo smooth it will make a real Zonda look like its made of crumpled paper :D

Over the past week or so I have been working on the back end of the car, I want all the gaps to be no more than a couple of mm, and everything to line up perfectly. I ended up cutting all the rear end off and remounting it, welding new brackets to keep everything strong and lines up. I then riveted 16ga sheet in behind the panels and filled and laid some GRP to make everything perfect. I now have a rear end that opens perfectly and closes leaving just the smallest of gaps.

Sadly the random orbital sander I bought on eBay was a dud, so they refunded me and I have bought another one. Its slow work, but at least half the rear end is now so flat and smooth. I know it will never be perfect, but is getting very much that way.

A friend of mine has been looking at the engine logs and has identified some errors in the way I have set up the Megasquirt, I had way too much acceleration enrichment, which meant whenever I touched the gas, I filled the engine with fuel and killed it. Also I was way too conservative with timing; at 40 kpa MAP I was only at 20 degs advance... oops.

I took this picture on Sunday, since then I have spent hours and hours on the rear right of the car, and its starting to look good.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. trevsked

trevsked Karting

Jun 20, 2007
    Rickmansworth, Herts
    Full Name:
    Trevor Skedge
    Well done Nick, still watching your endeavours.

Regards Trevor.

5. rmdferrari

rmdferrari Formula 3

Jan 6, 2005
    Gatwick, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    That's the spirit. :) Keep it up mate. We're all watching and egging you on.

6. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    Hi guys
    The latest updates.. The car now has central locking and electric windows, I used Lexan d for the side glass and modified the Ford Granada's locks and window mechanism, one of the challenges is that my doors go up, the Granada's open outwards. I need to make a system that will drop the windows a smidge when I open the door button. The doors open with electric actuators that pull the latches open (as per TVR), so I have no mechanical links.

I have also started working on the front of the body, the 2 front wings now line up perfectly with the doors, and are really really smooth. over the next couple of weeks I want to get the body smooth, then I'll blast it with high build primer and flatten down again. Then I should be able to prep it for spray.

I don't know if I can link to external images but here goes..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTkoKBdcNhk]Twin turbo Zonda inspired kitcar March 2014 - YouTube[/ame]

[​IMG]

7. rmdferrari

rmdferrari Formula 3

Jan 6, 2005
    Gatwick, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Sounds nice and fruity, Nick. :)

8. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    My neighbour across the road isn't talking to me anymore, he said it too loud..

9. rmdferrari

rmdferrari Formula 3

Jan 6, 2005
    Gatwick, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    LOL.... and that's just with you occasionaly starting it!! :D Loads louder than the GT4?

10. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    Oh yes, much much much louder.. I guess the turbos muffle it a bit eek!

11. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    Sadly I blew the V8 in the kit car.. I did a complete rebuild and then fitted a new cam belt. I got everything setup nicely and then decided to double check the belt tension, and gave it a tweak to make it a bit tighter. I started the engine and it sounded awesome! The next morning, I started it again and there was a loud bang and the engine stopped dead. the belt had slipped pushing 3 valves through the piston and into the head :(

In despair I put the whole thing on ebay, with in 2 hours I had crazy offers for the car, over 24 hours and my phone was going nutz! 5k cash, 6k. one guy kept ringing offering an ever increasing amount, in the end I had 3000 views in 24 hours and 100s of watchers. The 1st bid was placed within 1/2hr of placing the auction.

So I decided to pull the car off ebay and finish it, I have yet another v8 - 3rd in 2 years and 4th engine in the car. this one has warranty :D

So the new 3.7l v8 has been fitted and I changed the cam belt.. it sounds even better than the 1st engine, no smoke its a good'un.

Hopefully I can get the car ready for paint over the next month or so.

12. Hole in the ground

Oct 19, 2007
    Nick,

I think its epic what you have done thus far, and I've been following from the start, but perhaps its best to consider where it will end up. I dread to think how many hours you've laboured on the body already, and I have to ask the question if you'll ever get it "there"

Don't get me wrong, I know how addictive these labours of love can be and if you're pushing onward fair play to you. I'd just try to look at the project without the rose tinted glasses.

Just my thoughts...

13. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    Not sure I wouldn't have taken the dosh and spent it on the GT4 Nick. But I know how you love your project:)

Being doing a lot on my GT4. Did some work on interior trim. Completely rewired headlights (I helped - friend did most of it) so now runs directly from battery through relays. Now work as intended and so much brighter.

Had QV put it back to spec carb jets as it was running rich and fouling plugs, plus replace a split drive shaft gaiter. Would have liked to try the latter myself but no time and needed to drive it.

Next is reconolising the front seats and getting the ac working.

Also researching new boots as although the current ones have plenty of tread they are 11 years old.

All fun.

Sorry for hijacking your thread

14. trevsked

trevsked Karting

Jun 20, 2007
    Rickmansworth, Herts
    Full Name:
    Trevor Skedge
    Hi Nik,

Been past your place a couple of times recently (yesterday was the last actually) when I've been out running around and thought perhaps you may have been outside working on the car.

Regards Trevor.

15. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    Hi Trevor
    I was around yesterday! I was outside today fixing the heating controls in the Dino, cable snapped and got jammed on hot and feet :(

16. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    Hi Francis

So glad you are enjoying the Dino, I have done many many miles in mine over the past month or so and I still love driving it :)

I know what you mean.. I will get rid of it when its painted and roadish legal. There is a company I found who will do the IVA and get it road legal. It costs about £5k, so I think that is where it will end.. I want to drive it on the road (legally) maybe stick it on a drag strip. I need to see what it will look and drive like!

17. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    Hi Nick

I'll bring it to show you in due course, or we can meet up somewhere.

F

18. rmdferrari

rmdferrari Formula 3

Jan 6, 2005
    Gatwick, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    GT4 meet up some time?

Nick...admire your perseverence. Will be nice to drive a few times, time then move on. Has been quite a labour of love!!

Keep it up, will look out for more updates. :)

19. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    A GT4 meet up sounds fantastic!

its been a while since I had that Indian summer party where we painted my road red (and a few blue) with Fezzas :)

I have just changed the alternator belt idler bearing on the Zonda, now it sounds truly epic!

twin turbo Audi v8 running/revving zonda replica - YouTube

20. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    #820 Nickt, Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. DKHudson

DKHudson Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Durham, UK
    Full Name:
    David Hudson

Nick,

Can I take you right back to the start of your story? Obviously we know you did go Jag v12 at first, before swapping out to v8. However, you didn't get an answer then and nowhere on the Web can I find the dimensions of the v12.

I am at the very early stage of kicking a few ideas around for an Ultima Can-Am / Evo convertible and the Jag v12 might be an option. Common sense says a new crate motor, straight from Chevrolet, is the way to go. I am well aware of the extra weight, breathing difficulties on the Jaguar HE engine that limit horse-power, cylinder head cooling and so on... But

The Jag is plentiful, relatively cheap and 330bhp is possible on a stock engine with better exhaust and intake manifolds. 330Bhp is quite enough, as I am thinking a fast, 4.5sec 0-60, useable road car. It is, however, one of those 'best of British' engines, free revving and the v12 sound is rather special.

As with yourself the first question is, however, would it fit???

Do you still have the Jaguar information? Length, width, height.... but particularly over all length bellhousing flange to front incl. crank pulley, but ignoring any non-essential ancillaries that might over-hang (i.e. not air con / power steering pumps).

Yours,

David

22. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    Wow, this thread seems to old now :)

23. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Whats the latest news?;)

24. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    Nothing :( At the moment it is covered with bits from the Dino's dash. It starts, drives and thats about it. i remade the rear panel from carbon fibre and i have made a mould to re-cast the front in carbon fibre, but i just haven't had any time to do anything. Maybe next year.

One day..

25. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    What you have already done is amazing. Christmas /winter is coming up fast ,maybe next spring ha.