Anyone attend a "Crossfit" gym? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Anyone attend a "Crossfit" gym?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by BubblesQuah, Feb 10, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    So how many have completed Murphy ?

2. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Done. Missed breaking my under 35 minute goal. The 90+ heat took its toll and I was off pace.

Did better but doing 5-10-15 wasted too much transition time. I'm sticking with 10-20-30 next time. No weight vest this time but I did my pull-ups strict.

3. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    GREAT JOB ! To all those who did it . spent too much time with my son and grandkids this morning and left later than I wanted. Had 8 hour trip just getting home. I will do it tomorrow .

now I have a time to aim at . I will utilise your method 10 20 30 and post my time

4. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Completed it ...didn't keep time but it took longer than 35 minutes no vest

5. Call Me Daddy

Call Me Daddy Karting

Jan 11, 2009
    Seal Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    No vest for me this year, but 47:10 RX. 2 years ago it took me 74 minutes and I did jumping pull-ups and knee push-ups so I'm happy with my progress.

Next year I'll wear the vest.

I'm 42 and I have been doing CF for 2 years. I'm sick of people bashing CrossFit all the time, mostly people who have never even tried it! I know way more people who live with constant pain and injury just from running. If you are smart, don't lift with your ego, learn the movements and do them properly under the supervision of a good coach, you will do well.

6. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Most important you completed . Totally agree ...keep your ego in check and be consistent . This is a lifestyle.

It's harder to do this as each decade pass.

48 and still doing it

7. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I did it for about 7 months, but stopped due to the cost and worries about injury. It seems like the exercises are meant to challenge really fit people and those not in that category are playing Russian roulette with probable knee and hip problems.

8. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    That depends on which box you attend ...I've found that ones with more older people or ones not into competition are easier on joints

9. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    +1. I did it on and off for about two years. Finally got sick of it. The work out leaders were always yelling at you to go harder and harder and didn't give a crap that most people had horrible form to begin with that only got worse and worse during the workout. I always used less weight than Rx but still felt there was a serious injury for me out there just waiting to happen. If you were in your 20s and in good shape you would probably be okay. Nonetheless, several people at the gym sustained numerous injuries. The "coaches" for the most part, don't have a clue about what they're doing. They simply pay some money, attend a few classes and all of a sudden they have a special "certification" that makes them experts. I realize not all "boxes" (gyms) are the same and some are better than others but you really have to be smart about where you go and how you work out. I wasn't impressed with mine. I understand other people have had better experiences.

Scott

10. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    If you don't mind me asking, which location?

11. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    One in Miramar.

Scott

12. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Siege or Storm?

13. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    PM sent.

14. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    I wouldn't give up, I would find another box.

I think this type of work out is good for older people because it works the areas where we begin to lose . Balance strength and agility .

15. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I went to Hard Exercise Works in Jupiter. I tried their PBG location, but I liked the instructors better in Jupiter. I still think there are too man injuries and would not go back. Nice people though, and pretty helpful if you ask for personal instruction.

:)
    BT

16. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    I have been doing crossfit for around 2 years. The prescription develops fitness fast and it continues to build, the key to this injury argument is very simple, keep it light and work on form, once you have good technique then add a bit of weight, no reason at all that doing multiple complex movements such and snatch or cleans would be dangerous, what can become dangerous is if the person is not capable of lifting the weight multiple times.

Crossfit can be scaled to suit any fitness level, no matter your age or exercise experience, current body weight, prior injuries etc, a good coach will simply adjust the workout and movements to suit your individual needs.

It's worth mentioning that I am not affiliated with crossfit in any way other than I am a member of my local box and train 10-14 times a week in a combination of strength and metcon workouts.

I agree with the prior posts advising common sense and also checking out the coaches and the gyms before blindly going along. The results you will achieve and the rate you will achieve them will amaze even the elite fit among us.

Exercise has risks, so does not exercising.

17. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Well said ... There are rarely injuries from using good form and lighter weight .

I would rather continue cross fit then look and feel the way most of my peer group does . HIIT/cross fit keeps me competitive at a high level for my age.

I make a work out over the week where my nephew and his friends joined in (average age 27) ...10 100 metres sprints . I won 6 of 10( the latter races ) average time per race 12:17s . No way I could compete against younger people at that level if I attending regular .
    Every thing I do is high intensity interval training (HIIT)
    Age 48 6'2 205 lbs...bp, cholesterol , a1a all normal

18. HobbsTC

HobbsTC Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2004
    Lakeland, FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I love the box I attend. The first month you have to go to "On Ramp" which starts you off slow and teaches form over and over again. Then once you have finished that, you can start going to the regular classes. However, if we haven't done a movement in a while, say snatches, after our warmup we go through and work on all the positions before we do the WOD. Then if during the workout you are failing form, one of the three or four coaches we have roaming around will make you stop and drop weight so you get the form correct.

The owner of our Box is interning with the Crossfit Oly Weightlifting team, and he is very strict on form. As he says, the weight will come when the form is right. We have a very low number of injuries as a result.

19. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Your place sounds a lot more professional than the one I went to. I would be inclined to go again if I could find one like yours. I do believe, if done correctly, there is great benefit to be had.

Scott

20. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    First rule of CrossFit:
    Always talk about CrossFit

Second rule of CrossFit:
    You always talk about CrossFit

21. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    #71 climb, Jul 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
    I've been doing CrossFit for four months now. I can already see cuts and definition that I've never had before.. I don't like the squats and jerks but I'm glad I'm doing them as I'd NEVER do on my own along with most of the exercises. Wish I'd started years ago. Not joining the cult of competition but like it nonetheless.

22. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    out of curiosity, what gym? there's a few great ones in JAX, mostly filled with military guys.

23. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Good for you! Keep at it and you'll be in the best shape of your life. If you are looking to lose weight and get extremely cut try going Paleo for awhile. What's your favorite WOD so Far?

If you are looking to get stronger and add some bulk check out the free info at barbell shrugged.com.

24. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    #74 climb, Sep 8, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
    I go to Black Hive. It's on 3rd st in Jax Beach. There are a lot of military people there but all have been nice. It's hardcore but relaxed too.

I wear a peace symbol on my necklace and have never had a dirty look or comment.

25. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    #75 climb, Sep 8, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
    Thanks..I will.

Think my favorite WOD would have to be the death by ten meters. I was able to go up to 14 minutes and surpassed some of the guys that lift the heavy weight and gained an ounce of respect in doing so. To see those guys drop off after 11 or 12 minutes was amazing.

The usual WODs with Cleans and jerks and back squats mixed with burpees or whatever are not my forte but like the results they garner. It's taken me months to get in the ballpark of proper form. Strange how I have a great tennis serve and still swim a mean butterfly but can't get my head around the jerk/squat variants. Getting there though.

I'm 5'9 and 152 lbs. Very defined and have a four pack. Working on a six pack but don't know if at my age (47) I'll ever get it. I mountain bike almost every day and crossFit 3-4 times a week and swim about a half mile in the ocean about 3 times a week.

Been on Atkins for 16 years. Like they say: abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym.

Actually, truth be told, I had a bad break up last year and lost some weight. Looked in the mirror one day and noticed definition from all those years of various workouts. Had no idea I looked like that under the layer of fat I'd lost. Told myself it's time to double down and hit it hard. Kinda funny how things work I guess. In my eyes I'm taking lemons and making lemonade..