Repaint early 308GTB "resale Red" or OEM color? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Repaint early 308GTB "resale Red" or OEM color?

Discussion in '308/328' started by BigTex, Jun 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Point well taken!

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I can paint this one blue, and buy a local Rossa Corsa, original....:D :D :D

Since I didn't make a poll I will have to count these votes!

The issue is the nose repairs in primer, no one is going to make a reasonable offer looking like that. Although a buyer has asked about leaving it red, last night...
    Tired of dealing with it, I am going to fix the interior and carpets too.

It's gonna smell NEW!!

Thanks guys, for all your thoughts....

3. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    No worries, I have the vendors I need but THANKS!!!

4. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I have a blue one for sale too, we are painting it NEXT!

It will stay blue.....

Blue, blue, all my Ferraris are now blue.....

5. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    +1

6. jessup

jessup Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2014
    Santa Clara CA USA
    Full Name:
    Jessup
    I think your best bet is paint the nose and give the car a good polish and detail. Anything else will be a waste of time and/or money

7. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    #32 Nuvolari, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
    Best advice here. Even valuing your time at ZERO you will never get the money you spend into the paint job at resale. The car you have for sale is perfect for the DIY owner and trying to fancy it up to appeal to the 'get in and go' buyer is a false economy.

8. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I'm with Big Red on this one.

9. greg 19425

greg 19425 Formula 3

Jan 6, 2011
    Wake Forest, NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
  10. Rich S

Rich S Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    Monterey, California
    Full Name:
    Rich Saylor
    You haven't mentioned the condition of the existing paint. If it's good, personally I'd leave it alone. If anyone is willing to spend what it takes for a Rosso Corsa car, most likely they'd go for one that had that color as original, rather than one done in red to enhance its resale value. Also a really good paint job would cost quite a bit, done correctly- $10 K or so? Sometimes even more! Even to restore it to the original blue- which a potential buyer may or may not want- will necessarily kick up the asking price, unless you like spending your money a lot. Frankly you'll attract more buyers with a lowered price than you will with an expensive paint job, IMO. Also- are you sure the color is the problem? Lots of other factors, not the least of which is recent service, done by whom, what was included/left undone and so on.

If the color/paint is OK but a bit dull, have it buffed out; won't cost much and will really make the car shine, of course (sorry!)! Have you had it professionally detailed? If not, you should consider it.

Lots of ideas/opinions... as the old knight said in Raiders of the Lost Ark, "choose wisely"...

Cheers, and best of luck!
    Rich

11. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    #36 nerodino, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    See below.

13. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Look at you with the Stanley cup.

14. TacElf

TacElf Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 15, 2010
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    That is a really pretty color. If I were keeping the car and it needed a paint job, I'd opt for going original. If you're keen to sell it, I'd reflect the need for paint in the price then just be patient.

15. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    I think the cost of a good paint job is more than the coast of any 308.....I am a red guy but think original is the way to go if you are looking for my 2 cents. Why are you selling your GTB?

16. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY

+1

17. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert

Rich,
    Curious as to where you can get a 308 painted correctly for $10k or so? Not that I don't believe you but "correctly" cost me more then twice that. Did I get ripped off?

18. jessup

jessup Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2014
    Santa Clara CA USA
    Full Name:
    Jessup
    If the body is straight with no rust, then starting around $10k is about right.

19. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Well, can't bring it into California, but FWIW I think the "must be red" era for Ferraris is done. And blue is a great color for 308s.

If I thought I could get it on the road here...

20. Rich S

Rich S Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    Monterey, California
    Full Name:
    Rich Saylor
    Well, I paint my own cars, so I have a fair idea of what's needed. If no rust or panel damage issues, a good sanding on original paint can be more than enough, sometimes. That leaves stripping the car of fittings, etc. completely, wherever painting is wanted. As Ferraris are painted black on the inside panels, except door jambs, that makes it a lot easier. What really takes time is stripping the car, chrome, bumpers, lights, emblems, rubber, windows and seals, the lot. Then sanding down to good base, sealing the old paint/primer, then new primer/surfacer appropriate to the paint used (I use catalyzed acrylic paint) then start painting. An initial coat of thin black to check surface contours, redo areas as needed, redo the black check coat until all is well, sand that off, then sufficient layers of base coat, lots of sanding. Finally when all's well the clear coats, assuming basecoat/clearcoat is used, are applied. Let age a bit, then buff out as needed. Let cure a bit, then reassemble car... carefully! If that's what does the trick, 10K should do it. If not, and going down to bare metal is required....

Cheers,
    Rich

21. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    :D :D

My thoughts exactly, I'm going to put on a note lot, with a bunch of old beater Mustangs...

22. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks Graham!

I think that is indeed the original color, quite nice, actually.

23. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Actually I am selling two, and buying one, and another Ducati....
    :D :D :D

And to answer one question above it's bad paint, existing, and I put in a nose repair panel after a bump, so I need to paint "something" anyway.

My real question is either the original blue per the Factory code, or my choice for Resale Red would actually be a modern Ferrari color, like the beautiful FER311C, a metallic red clearcoat system.

I think also a lot of money can be spent on "a paint job"....anywhere from a couple of thousand dollars up to the "pull all the glass and trim" like the Dino restos we enjoy, painting like that could easily run $12K to even $20K, by the time you replace all the breakage and new mouldings.

Paint materials are thru the roof, you'll spend almost a thousand dollars there, and I used to paint entire cars for $500 -$700 (in the '70s!)

24. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Oddly I DO have a buyer talking to me from CA, I warned him about the issues, but he's a hot rodder and vintage bike enthusiast, I guess he knows what he's doing!

These are NON CAT cars obviously..

25. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Your a smart guy whatever you do will be the right decision!