Hills Pedals Fitting Dilema | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Hills Pedals Fitting Dilema

Discussion in '348/355' started by 348Jeff, Jun 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Jeff, for your safety and the safety of others, please drill them in.

You're out numbered, there isn't a single poster in this thread that supports the glue-job.

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    90% of DIY'ers are hacks. 90% of pros are hacks too. Maybe it is just 90% of people are hacks.

Taz made a very important point. Please don't add these pedals as a fashion statement. Set them up for proper heal and toe or just leave them stock.

3. cuneo

cuneo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    #28 cuneo, Jun 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. cuneo

cuneo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    Seriously tho, save the children in the crosswalk. Screw them on properly!!

5. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    #30 348Jeff, Jun 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jeff- That ought to do it. Improves the ambiance, too. The silver tape is a nice touch.

7. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    On a more serious note - no-ones put forth any reasonable argument other than scaremongering and TBH since none of you have actually seen it I'm not sure what the basis of the criticism is.

All I've done in effect is replaced some rubber pedal covers attached with a bit of contact adhesive with some metal "pedal covers" which are now much more firmly attached.

Not aware of anyone whose bolted their existing rubber pedal covers on so I suppose they had better be careful out there too...

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jeff- The rubber pedals fit around the metal pedals, not just on top of them.

9. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    If you really cannot see the difference then you should limit your auto servicing to putting air in the tires.

10. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    After reading his latest posts, I'm thinking putting air in isn't the best idea either....

Adhesives suck in dynamic environments.....I had lots of failures leading up to my patent. Statically, the adhesive was great, but once the machinery was switched on things could go to hell within weeks.

11. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    There is a time and a place for fun and games....this topic is not one of them.

12. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    Jeff,
    It is your car and your judgement is for sure a good one. I did follow every bit of the activities you did on your car, and they are great.
    It seems that you have taken your decision, and that you will not change it. But...
    Do you really think that just a little hole in the pedal will affect your car originality?
    Even if there is a 0.01 % chance only of having problems, why take it?
    Just drill them and go the safer way :)
    Ciao
    Eugenio

13. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    I hope you used only the freshest, highest quality duct tape! :)

14. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I haven't actually ruled out drilling them. As mentioned earlier on I was actually surprised at how well they adhered - there's no movement or twisting and they are more secure than the original rubbers which can be twisted off very easily despite having a lip.

The plan is to use them as they are and see how it goes - if they appear to be loosening in any way Ill add the bolts without delay. I am certain that they wont just drop off instantly and if people knew my character they'd know I do take safety very seriously so I dont view myself as "taking a chance".

I will report back if the situation changes or I can find a way to demonstrate it easily - bit difficult to show something not moving.

15. driveitdaily

driveitdaily Formula 3

Jul 20, 2013
    lake ariel pennsylva
    Full Name:
    john
    #40 driveitdaily, Jun 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
    Not to add fuel to the fire, ( i have these covers and bolted them ) but , and this is unrelated , the standard has changed in our bodyshop in respect to structural body panels , roofs , quarter panels , .... In the past these repairs required welding on new panels , now the procedure is to bond them with the proper bonding agents, with the emphasis on " proper "
    I know that sounds crazy , but when your wife cracks up the camry, the bodyshop is probably going to glue the new quarter panel on.
    Just some food for thought
    " serenity now "

16. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Absolutely priceless. Mind if I use that? :D