87 3.2 Cab Oil Radiator Fan too loud? | FerrariChat

87 3.2 Cab Oil Radiator Fan too loud?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Faber, Jun 10, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    32 Mondial oil rad fan - YouTube

Key in position one - bypassed broken thermo switch - does this noise indicate a fan motor problem? Drove fine last pm w/ fan on continuously - Thanks,

2. bartzagato

bartzagato Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    I didn't know there was a fan mounted on the oil cooler.
    This sounds like blades are eating the cooler.
    check for scratchmarks on cooler
    fanblade is loosening?

for me: first checking - solving: than driving.

I like the "guess what" games. :D

3. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    #3 Faber, Jun 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
    Argghh…thanks - I should remove & inspect the darn thing, but I rotated the blades while underneath and noted no contact w/ radiator…(-*

4. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    It sounds right but Ive never heard mine without engine running

the fans are loud , check your ac fan as an example

5. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    Good idea - thanks - I don't recall them being that noisy but I'll listen -

6. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Hi Tom,

When my fan comes on (1987 3.2) it doesn't sound anything like that. You will hear a louder humming as it spins though. Recently i had a new oil cooler and oil cooler pipes fitted. When the car was put back together i heard a continuous loud humm even though the fan was not on and thought it was my fan but in fact it was the new oil cooler pipes touching the fiber glass inner wheel well which created a resonance sound. They are very close to the wheel well.

If you turn the engine off, disconnect the battery and try turning the fan blades by hand and jiggling them around to see if its loose or sticking as it turns. The fan mounting screws could need tightening or something may be touching the fan assembly or the 2 oil cooler pipes maybe touching something

The fan was only on the 3.2 and T models.

Let us know how you get along.

Peter

7. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    Thanks very much Peter - I plan to go back underneath and thoroughly check things - buddy of mine said he thought it might be bearings(?) making that noise (When it slows down the clicking is pronounced) - if its that I'll just wait for it to go completely kaput. But per your above will check those - Thanks!

8. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    Update: Got a "good used" thermo switch from G.T. Car Parts INC for $45 - and their new are $165 - cheaper than any I've found.

9. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    I wouldn't run the oil cooler without the engine running. I believe that is what caused mine to crack.

10. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    Hi Lou - I assume you mean "oil cooler fan" - Thanks for the advice - currently it turns on when I start the car - don't think cooler itself is doing anything.

11. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    QV Cabrios also have fan.
    I have never seen or heard fan runing... I just try fan, it runs, but does not turn on by switch, what temperature switch that is?

12. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    Yeah, sorry, that oil cooler fan. I would hear it running when I was shutting down the car at times. Thought it might be smart to turn the key back on and let it "cool" the oil. I'm guessing doing that procedure resulted in my cracked oil cooler about 6 months later. Maybe it's a coincidence? But guessing that localized cooling resulted in the cracking. There's a reason it's off when the engines not running.

13. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    Good info - Thanks!

14. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    Today I try to locate oil cooler switch from QV Cabrio... No there is no switch on side of oil radiator. I have one 3.2 here and layout is totally diffrent. QV setup is like 3.2, but electrical wires go in to wire loom and disapear. There are no mention on electrical diagram ever to be oil cooler fan.

Does anyone here have QV Cabrio and can write here; Does oil cooler run paraler with water cooler fans?

I can't find any "extra" oil oil temperature switch and have never heard fan runing, othervise dirrect +12V from battery to try this fan and it runs.

15. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    There is indeed a fan on the 3.2 oil cooler. I took my oil cooler out a couple years ago for a flush as the oil lines had started to seep. I had new SS braided lines made up at our local hydraulic hose shop, very nice pieces of work they are.

The cooler and fan is not easy to get to, it's very tight in there. It didn't look to me like the fan could be easily removed with the cooler in situ (perhaps it can though).....so this means removing the cooler...in which case you're going to need some very large spanners (32 or 34mm as I recall) to loosen the supply/return hoses. Be sure, sure, sure to use two spanners....one on the hose nut and one on the cooler nut....if you don't use two spanners and just wrench on the hose nut you'll bend the cooler.

Good luck!

16. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    #16 Faber, Jun 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi - I can see/reach the fan shroud from above leaning directly over drvrs air scoop into engine compartment (and of course from below w/ fender well panel off ) - Mine is affixed to the cooler w/ 4 bolts - can get to 2 of these from above from above…would remove the fan from below...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login