365 GTC vs. 330 GTC | FerrariChat

365 GTC vs. 330 GTC

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by P_RSR, Jun 25, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. P_RSR

P_RSR Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    New York
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Interested in one of these two cars. Don't know a lot about them. Which is the "better" car. How do they compare? How do their prices compare? Thanks

2. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    #2 John B, Jun 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The cars are very similar, the 365 GTC was an evolution of the 330 GTC.

Primary differences:
    365 has a 4.4L 320 hp vs 4.0L 300 hp in the 330.
    365 has engine vents on the top of the hood, vs the "shark gill" three slat vents in the front fenders for the 330.
    168 365 GTC's were produced vs 598 330 GTC's

Due to the increased displacement and lower production numbers the 365 GTC's seem to command about a 40% premium to the 330 GTC's.

Very similar cars really, I doubt you would notice the 20hp difference on the road. I personally prefer the look of "Shark gill" vents of the 330 GTC.

They are truly a pleasure to drive, Great V-12 sound, light to the touch, agile and surprisingly quick.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The 365 GTC has performance almost on the level of the 365 GTB/4 because of its lighter weight. That engine, also fitted to the 365 GT 2+2 in very similar form, is one of the best Ferrari ever built for the street.

The perfect GTC to me is the prototype that had a 330 GTC body and the 4.4 liter engine, plus the early Daytona style wheels.

4. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Either one is a great car.

Current condition matters more than 10% difference in displacement.

Do it!

Matt

5. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1

6. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    the 365 GTC has similar performance to a Daytona up to 100 mph, then after that its adios.....

7. Signor Buona Wrencha

Jun 21, 2008
    Albuquerque
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    The 365 had updated equipment over the 330.

The clutch went to cable operation instead of hydraulic. Same as the Daytona. The fuse box was also relocated to the interior space of the car from the engine bay firewall space. The rear half-shafts went to CV joints instead of u-joints.

These improvements should be considered. The 365GTC really is a special car.

8. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    The fuse box relocation is a clear improvement. The others were trade-offs. Hydraulic operation has stood the test of time, and is easier to operate. Universal joints work well and announce problems early.

But you make a good point.

I still say get the best car of either you can find and afford.

Matt

9. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    As a long term owner of a 330 GTC, I think the relocation of the fuse box is the greatest single improvement! In 33 years I have scuffed my knuckles dozens of times trying to rectify fuses that have 'popped' from their clips, lying as they do in the direct heat path from the exhaust manifold!

The other changes can be found on late model 330s and are not unique to 365 GTCs.

10. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I agree.

Matt

11. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    I am also a long term GTC caretaker having two over the years. First was from 76 to 85. Five of those being my only car. The second came to me in 04 and is with me now. The GTC is a very driver friendly car. Easy to drive, enough power and very comfortable. Plenty of room for long trips. On GTCII I made a series of upgrades to make it more comfortable (a/c upgrades) and reliability (electrics).
    At one time I had a 365 GT. I agree that the 365 single cam was a better engine. It seems to spin more freely than the 330. However I really like the louvered look of the 330 over the 365. Its a tough call. Both are wonderful cars. Dare I say practical?
    Now if there was a 365 engine sitting around somewhere I would drop it in and put the Type 209 in my living room :)

12. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    In my experience, there is a noticeable difference in added torque from only a not-quite half liter increase in displacement.

13. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Agree.

Have driven both and agree.

14. P_RSR

P_RSR Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    New York
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Does anyone know anything about the 365GTC at autosport design in NY. Any insight would be very helpful. Thanks

Autosport Designs

15. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    A small item but the relocation of the hand brake from the under the dash umbrella type mechanism on the 330 to a normal fitment between the seats on the 365 was a huge improvement to me.

16. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    Agreed Paul! Another knuckle ripper and the umbrella type lever rarely seems to work effectively, however much it is adjusted and fettled.

John

17. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    Pretty car, looks great in Blu Sera. If Tom Papadapolis at Autosport has known and cared for the car for a while that's a good thing. He's very knowlegeable and trustworthy.

North of $1mm I presume?

18. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    #18 intrepidcva11, Jun 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
    Taz refers to my old car #10581, begun as a 330GTC in October 1967, then furnished with a typ 245 4.4 liter engine on the instructions of Enzo F. for his friend Leopoldo Pirelli, chairman and CEO of his patronymic Company. The build plate in the engine bay designates the car as a 365GTC. Pirelli had Campagnolo hand-forge the prototype 15" star mag wheels for this car. it is the only GTC with 15" wheels, all others are 14"

All GTC's are splendid driver cars, superb handling. I've written elsewhere that driving one is like dancing with a professional ballerina who is head over heels in love with you, light, fancy-free and utterly delightful. Taz is mostly correct about performance comparison with the Daytona. I would bet that my old car would lap a short course like Lime Rock equally or naybe better than a Daytona due to handling. But neither 330 nor 365 has the top-end speed of the Daytona - about 155 vs 175 give or take.

If you can handle the cost, buy either one, whichever is in better condition and whose color(s) suit you best. It will be a car you will treasure for as long as you own it.

19. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    #19 intrepidcva11, Jun 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    #20 JazzyO, Jun 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
    A well-sorted 330GTC is an absolute joy to own. Miss mine dearly. I never, not even for 1 second, lusted after a 365GTC - she didn't leave me wanting for anything. The differences do not justify the current price differential, if you ask me. The 365 might be a better investment. As for driving, I wouldn't worry about it. And in 20,000kms all over Europe, I never had an issue with the handbrake.

One thing to note: more than half of all classic Ferraris for sale are poor cars, mechanically, no matter how pretty they look. They don't deliver anywhere near the horsepower quoted in this thread. I would say my 330GTC outperformed 80% of all the 365GTC's on this planet. If you are interested in driving them, and to me that is the real beauty of these cars, then find a car that you know has been both driven well (and often) and cared for well. And then improve on it. :)

Onno

21. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    I wonder if this is because the car was designed as LHD and RHD versions (such as mine) have a sub optimal cable routing?

And I do agree with you about the quality of some of the cars on the market. Sadly, cosmetics tend to take priority over good maintenance!

22. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    could not agree more, Paul. My handbrake was of course the standard 330 under dash and it NEVER held on a grade.

23. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Aaron, you remind me that when Nereo Iori did the mechanical restoration of my car he used the Daytona CV rear half-shafts.

24. Jumprun

Jumprun Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    T. Martinez
    I may be refurbishing the rear suspension on my GTC, and was wondering if my car would benefit from using the later Lobro shafts like the Daytona. I wonder if they are a direct bolt-on replacement for the U-joint type found on my early 1968.

I also found it interesting that others have had issues with the handbrake as mine is somewhat ineffective also. I tried every adjustment possible all to no avail. My next step is to entirely disassemble all the cables and mechanism in attempt find what's wrong, pulling a chock from the trunk is embarrassing.

25. Tinbender

Tinbender Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Raleigh,Lake Lure,NC
    Full Name:
    Terry W. Phillips
    Good luck with that.