Mt first taste of repairing a 360 | FerrariChat

Mt first taste of repairing a 360

Discussion in '360/430' started by 993man, Jun 26, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 993man

993man Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2009
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Graham
    My cars been at the dealers trying to sort that CEL that's been a pain since I bought it.
    After 3 weeks they think it's due to a faulty spark plug, but who am I to judge.
    Apparantley the factory advised to try this. The code relates to running lean bla bla bla, so they changed the plugs and it hasn't come back on. IMO it will, about an hour after leaving no doubt.
    But it needs a front ball joint or something, and a rear tie rod or something.
    $425 for the front and $950 for the rear one, plus the plugs, plus there time, plus fitting. My guess is $3K.
    I've been waiting for this for 2 years. I'm Ok with it because she is 14 after all.

Porsche would have cost the same.

2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

3. 993man

993man Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2009
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Graham
    They had me snookered sadly because the car was already there.
    I know your prices will cost far less. That's the problem when you live 4 hours away.
    Ah well

4. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    They can be sneaky that way... Verrrrry sneaky. Common things to go at that age.

BTW the ball joints can be done with the A-arm in the car to save time and labor as I understand.

5. kitchenaid

kitchenaid Karting

Mar 31, 2009
    Is this really typical for Ferrari? I thought ball joints or tie rod ends should not fail until fairly high mileage on the clock.

6. Mozella

Mozella Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2013
    Piemonte, Italia

Short answer: Yes.

Ferrari ball joints do fail at high mileage. Problem is, 5000 miles is high mileage for a Ferrari.

It's all part of the Ferrari experience. ;)

7. kitchenaid

kitchenaid Karting

Mar 31, 2009
    That's unfortunate. These are components that even on a supercar should be far more robust than a 5,000 mile service life. Thanks for that insight though!

8. bospike

bospike Karting

Nov 22, 2010
    don't when you get that fix... Drive it... then something else will happen... fix it....drive it... soon you will have it all done..

9. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Is that at Forza? I think I'm in for a front ball joint next warrant too. Conti's said I had one on the way out.

10. voicey

voicey Formula 3

Jul 29, 2009
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Aldous Voice
    Ferrari use rose joints for the suspension whereas most other production cars use ball joints - they are very different parts with different life spans.

11. kitchenaid

kitchenaid Karting

Mar 31, 2009
    ah, got it -- that makes a lot more sense, thanks.

12. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Interesting as mine have not been changed in 27k miles (well according to all the maintenance records I have). They checked out fine at my last annual.
    Alan

13. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    mine failed (wore out) somewhere between 55k and 60k miles forget the exact mileage.

14. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I had never heard the term Rose Joint before! In aerospace we always called them spherical joints.

(from wiki)

..."The spherical rod end bearing was developed by the Germans in World War II.[1] When one of the first German planes to be shot down by the British in early 1940 was examined, they found this joint in use in the aircraft's control systems. The H.G. Heim Company was given an exclusive patent to manufacture these joints in North America, while in the UK the patent passed to Rose Bearings Ltd.[2] The ubiquity of these manufacturers in their respective markets led to the terms heim joint and rose joint becoming synonymous with their product. After the patents ran out, the common names stuck although "rose joint" remains a registered trademark of Rose Bearings Ltd. Originally used in aircraft, the rod end bearing may be found in cars, trucks, race cars, motorcycles, lawn tractors, boats, industrial machines, go-karts, radio-control helicopters, and many more applications."...

15. mikelong

mikelong Karting

Dec 17, 2012
    Thanks for the history lesson Kevin...Cool!
    I learn something new everyday from here. People have the Iphone stuck to their hands, I got mind stuck to this forum. Awesome!!!! lol.

So, speaking from plain english. Is this type of "rose joint" good or bad compare to what we have today as technologies has grown so rapidly???

16. 993man

993man Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2009
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Conti's. I'm OK with it because these cars are known to need these parts.
    It's not until it actually happens that you realise the price to owning a Ferrari.

8 Porsche over 15 years, and never once did I replace anything like that.

17. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Very good history lesson.

Thanks

18. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    There are rebuildable, serviceable versions of much the same thing but as far as I know the primary reason to use a Rose-Joint or a Helms Joint is the the precision feel they deliver with their lack of play. Perhaps the alternatives have greater play and don't deliver that same precision. Rose-joints are also somewhat safer than regular ball-joints which can break off and shear away entirely, leaving the hub and wheel to flap about with dangerous consequences.

19. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Now I know why I remember Rose joints while in England and why they are called Heim joints over here.
    Thanks
    Alan

20. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Rose or Heim joints break in exactly the same fashion.

There is zero safety difference

21. GaryR

GaryR Formula 3

Dec 11, 2006
    Valencia, Spain
    Full Name:
    Gary R.
    I was thinking the same thing, both ball and socket, both can fail..

22. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Rose/Helm is just different name for same product.

Rose/Helm has the ball secured in a more secure way than the typical ball-joint which is more like a human hip with a ball and socket. Those style ball-joints are surely more prone to total failure.

23. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    The real issue is bad quality. The Ferrari ones are plated steel. Moisture = plating falls off and flogs out. I believe the Hill ones are Stainless steel - much better. But for the $1 addition of a grease nipple to be squirted once per year they would virtually never wear out.

24. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    No it isn't.

Not in my 40 years of experience but what do I know?

Based on your last sentence it sure sounds like a guess on your part? I really try to avoid guessing. Too easy to be wrong.

25. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Sorry Greg, but if Mr. Crall calls it.. he's got my attention.