Lexus IS-F input needed | FerrariChat

Lexus IS-F input needed

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by futureowner, Jul 2, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    In the market (have been for some time) for a four-door car. I would like it to be as fun as possible but recognizing that it will need to be a daily driver for myself, my wife will need to be able to drive it (means automatic is a must) and that I frequently drive in heavy traffic. I have been looking at a range of things, mostly the Jaguar XF but lately the Lexus IS-F has popped up on my radar.

The numbers are certainly impressive however, does anyone have real experience with them? I know Lexus makes a quality vehicle but I've never found them to be "fun". Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

2. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Driven one, didn't do much for me over my Lexus GS400. Definitely more powerful (400hp v. 300hp), but a little cramped for my taste.

That was when it was introduced (~2007?). Now my GS400 is seriously long in the tooth (13 years old), and I'm looking around for a "fun" DD. IS-F would be considered, but I want a manual, so I'd probably consider E46 M3 or E39 M5. I've also considered a Subie WRX / STi...when I purchased the GS400, I seriously considered the Subaru Legacy 2.5GT...that was a rocketship with 5-speed and all-wheel drive. Hellacious fun in a completely non-descript package - perfect for me!

3. platinumsc

platinumsc Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2004
    The early ones did feel cramped but I'm comfy in the later models. I'm 6-2, 250 and feel fine. The suspension is much better in the later models as well. They are a blast with good handling and excellent Lexus reliability. Only problem is those late model examples are pricey....but worth it.

4. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    They're right near Mercedes C63 prices. The C63 does everything better than the IS-F.

5. kev360

kev360 Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2006
    I love my IS-F. Bought it new in 2011 and its my favorite sedan. Had e55, c55, Alpina B7 and like the Lexus the best. Not the fastest but drives great. Don't compare it to the regular Lexus models. And i mentioned in another thread, Lexus service is the best (at least in Houston)

6. Kyoso_Joey

Kyoso_Joey Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    Scottsdale
    Full Name:
    Joey
    A co-worker had an IS-F and absolutely loved it. He loved it so much he even took it behind a middle school and tried to get it pregnant. Ok he didnt do that but he did do full bolt-ons, got it tuned and ran low 12 second quarter mile times with a trap speed in the low 120's.
    He also took it on a road trip starting from Arizona to Florida to California then back to Arizona with no problems. It was definitely a cool car.
    If you drive one and it doesnt work out you should also check out an E90 M3 or even the new F80 M3. The DCT transmissions in them arent bad at all. I would however just teach your wife how to drive stick so you can get the car you really want.

7. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3

Mar 27, 2013
    Hunt. Bch/Palm Dsrt/Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    They are great cars but over priced. I'll take my XF Supercharged anyday over the IS-F without hesitattion.

8. Schimpf

Schimpf Karting

Jul 20, 2005
    CO
    Full Name:
    Schimpf
    Haven't driven either. But if you're up in C63 prices you may as well wait for RC F.

9. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    Thanks all, appreciate the feedback. Yes there are lots of alternatives in this price range, a good problem to have :)

10. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    #10 futureowner, Jul 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Picked up last week, absolutely loving this car! Navigation and Levinson sound system, definitely feels more grown up than my RSX, though I still love that car too.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. kev360

kev360 Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2006
    Congrats. It's a great car

12. platinumsc

platinumsc Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2004
    What year is it?

13. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    Thank you all very much. It's an 08, 36k miles.

14. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Congratulations on the car!

15. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Beautiful car! Congrats!

16. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I too am a fan! They have a new 2 door coupe coming out

17. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    Thanks again everyone, had it up at the Brian Redman at Road America this past weekend, was really cool to see everyone come up and look at it since they'd never seen one. It is a very rare car around these parts.

As to the RC F that's coming out, hard to deny the performance numbers but I needed four doors and I'm not crazy about the RC F styling.