Thinking about getting an Audi S4 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Thinking about getting an Audi S4

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by mom4791, Dec 27, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    Hmmmm. Thanks for the review. Have been thinking about what to get next and the Audi's have just crept up onto the radar screen.

My Brother in law has a 6 and a 7. He loves them. I have driven them, but they feel so big. I prefer a smaller car.

Maybe I should wait for the S3?

2. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    S4 is just right for us!

Well the S5 is just just right except:
    Geezers (like us) cannot get in/out of the back seat.

Goldilocks

Best

3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    why did you buy from Salt Lake, vs Denver or even that dealer right off 70 in Glenwood Springs?

4. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Glenwood tried to game us on a lease to the tune of $10k+ over 3 years.

A relative (as it turns out) is affiliated with the SL dealer. And he wanted my 2004 Forester Turbo badly. SL made sure we got the car WE wanted and not what they had to sell on the lot. Glenwood had a 2013 white S5 they wanted to get rid of but their pricing was worse than SL 2014 S4 and the trade-in was worse.

We wanted to drive an SQ5 and compare to the S4. SL had one we could drive along with an S4. Denver did not have an SQ5 that we could drive.

So we got to visit some relatives and get a car to boot. ;)

Best

5. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Dealer notified me today that we are locked in for July 15th build slot for an S5 Cabriolet.

Wife was so impressed with the S4 she decided to trade her 2011 Boxster S and her 2009 Subaru Outback for the DCT Audi. this is significant as she has refused to drive anything but a MT to date.

So she will have a convertible and an AWD car all in one car instead of two. We really like the pickup of the S5 and more passenger space.

We have only had the S4 for 4 months and she was ready to trade. She probably was not looking forward to driving the Outback this winter...the S5 is loaded with toys.

Yes...we are getting the Comfort pkg which has AC ventilated seats and neck warmers.

Ordering Glacier White Metallic with chestnut brown leather seats, birchwood trim and brown power top.

Life is good. ;)

6. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Glad to hear y'all are so happy.

I have to say I feel the same about my audi. The dealer experience has also been a big part of it.

7. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Word to the wise...dump it before the warranty runs out. They turn to cap shortly there after. It's almost like they are on a time clock. Then it's one thing after another. I would never give audi any of my money..ever.

8. Atlanta355

Atlanta355 Karting

Jun 7, 2008
    Atlanta
    Not in my experience. My S4 is now a year out of warranty with no problems. It is the most reliable new car I have ever owned.

Have you owned a recent Audi? Build quality is probably the best of any manufacturer.

9. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I put 60k miles in 2 1/2 years on a 2010 S5 cab that I used as my DD. It was a great car. All the maintenance it required was 7 oil changes, 2 sets of tires and brakes. Everything else worked as designed. I only got rid of it because I wanted another 911 which I have since replaced with a TTS.

10. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I went from a 2007 BMW to a 2013 audi and the build quality is tremendous. My BMW felt like a pile of **** compared to my A3.

11. Turbo360

Turbo360 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 21, 2011
    Might want to look into carbon build up on the motors of certain S4's there is a huge thread on audizine about it. If I were going to go with a A4 car I would totaly go for a RS4 :).

12. Atlanta355

Atlanta355 Karting

Jun 7, 2008
    Atlanta
    They don't sell them in the US unfortunately.

13. Turbo360

Turbo360 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 21, 2011
    Previous versions. Not the newest one.

14. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Audi's "strategy" is a mystery to me. As an original owner of a C5 RS6, I waited patiently for the C6's arrival. Nothing. Then, for the C7 (which, by then, I had already decided I didn't like the styling as much, but I couldn't find a better replacement). Again, nothing. Instead, Audi brings things like the RS5 and RS7, which are 2-door and hatchback (or whatever), respectively, and don't fit my mission (4-door sedan or wagon). Not to mention, I find the RS7 kind of quirky (don't they also offer an RS3?). Would very much like for Ingolstadt to bring the RS6 Avant, but, again, nada. What marketing geniuses are running the show there?

FYI, the C5 was not truly ready for the public. I've had ALL the problems (DRC...2x, torque converter, etc.). Best all-round car I've ever owned, but the engineering was flawed.

Finally gave up. Will buy an e63 4matic wagon to replace it. Already have one (replaced an e500 4matic wagon) at another home. Will replace the RS6 with one, too.

Have an A8L from Elk Mountain. Dealing with them was so-so. Car was year-old inventory, so I got a reasonably good deal. Just wanted to buy from them so I got service priority. Have had good (not great) service for my Land Rover Roaring Fork-bought HSE Supercharged, too.

CW

15. scoobysteve

scoobysteve Formula Junior

Apr 20, 2004
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    I think the problem is that you are a very atypical buyer. The last E63 NA wagon sold fewer than 100 examples in the US in its final year. Being an auto-journo darling does not necessarily equate to sales. And avoiding political discussions, selling small-volume niche variants is especially difficult in the United States, economically.

Regarding the RS7 and RS5, coupe and "coupe-like-sedan" buyers are proven to be less price-elastic and I think if I had to choose either the coupey-sedan or a regular sedan to bring over in RS trim -- I'd choose the coupey-sedan every time. Those buyers are already paying an extra $10k for a car based on looks -- clearly money is less of an issue.

Of course, non of this explains why we don't get an RS4 --- a car at a lower pricepoint that I think could move in decent numbers.

Oh...and your comments on the C5 are spot-on. Everyone I know who has owned one absolute loved it but hated the reliability and shallow engineering.

16. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    I could certainly be atypical, but it surprises me that Audi feels there's more demand for the RS5 and 7 than the 6. E63 and M5, which I would argue are the most comparable to the RS6, are both sedans (although, the E63 is available as a wagon, as noted). Maybe this is Audi's way to differentiate? Sedans ought to be more utilitarian than quixotic hatchbacks are 2+2s. But, hey, they didn't hire me as a consultant. So...

CW

17. mom4791

mom4791 Karting

Nov 5, 2007
    Des Moines, IA
    #42 mom4791, Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    ^^^ Very nice, congrats.

19. ALPINE6SPD

ALPINE6SPD Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2006
    NJ
    Great choice. Hope they included the wheels and tires that came with the car originally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk