Fuel lines source | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Fuel lines source

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by porphy, Jan 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    My 88 Mondial 3.2 Cqb is leaking gas just forward of the passenger side rear tire.
    I guess I should replace all of the lines.
    Is there any new news on the best way to go? I have a call in to Verell to see what his kit offers. Does anyone have any wisdom to share?
    Thanks
    - Ron Frohock

2. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Ron, it looks like Thinkauto and the solution from aec above with parts from batinc.net are the solutions presented here. If you get further info positive from Verell please let us know.

3. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    aec would you post a list of the parts and numbers that you ordered from batinc.net?

4. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Randall,
    They picked up my car yesterday. It's at the garage now. I've got two concerns. One is the gas leak and the second I fear is wheel bearings. Yikes.... I just hope it gets resolved quickly. I did reach out to Verell but he hasent responded. I would like the parts list for the gas lines as I'd like to place an order. Thanks

5. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #30 soucorp, Jul 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You probably want to jack up and remove the rear passenger tire, remove the wheel well cover, and look for where the leak is coming from. Most likely a rip in the fuel line or at the connection points to the fuel filter. If its the line, replace it and while you are at it, get a new fuel filter.

Best
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Mike
    Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. These pictures are very helpful.
    I'm actually not going to do the work as I don't have any time.
    I'm hoping that the leak is simple but I'm also thinking that it is worthwhile to address all of the fuel lines. I know they are original and have read that they should be replaced.
    I'm finding this interesting as I also have a 1982 Fiat Spider 2000, with the same exact fuel lines and they seem fine. As mentioned previously, I also have some hum noise coming from up front. I don't know if it is flat spot tire noise from storage or if the wheel bearings are compromised. I hope to know within a week as to what I'm up against.

7. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    As we discussed several years ago, all of the fuel (and coolant) lines need to be replaced on your car. The stainless steel Polyamide lines (shown in the pictures) are rarely a problem unless they are man-handled during routine service procedures.

8. aec

aec Karting

Jul 28, 2011
    Weston, MA
    For the fuel lines from filter to rail and from rail to regulator, I ordered four F45-1406, two FS-1406, two F180-6 (in red/blue, but they are also available in black), and two AF14AN6S.

I also ordered four more FS-1406 to do the fuel lines from tank to filter. But I have not yet done this part, so I can't say for sure right now if the parts will fit there.

I ordered 10 feet of FC3-6 for everything.

9. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Very helpful aec. Thanks much!

10. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    aec are there any special tools needed for the connecting of the FC3-6 to the connectors? Are these press fit connections or other? Thanks

11. aec

aec Karting

Jul 28, 2011
    Weston, MA
    I did not need any special tools. Batinc's instructions were very good. Use masking tape to protect when using vice and tools to minimize damage to finish of connectors. The tricky part is to cut the hose without causing fraying.

12. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    If your ferrari has had SS sleeved fuel lines installed don't assume these are in good condition. Underneath that pretty SS sleeve is a rubber fuel line which could well be in very poor condition. Frankly, the SS sleeve looks nice, but it tends to make visually evaluating the condition of the fuel line more difficult.

I had to replace a number of SS sleeved fuel lines as the rubber core had deteriorated such that leaks were an imminent issue.

13. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Thanks. Understood!

14. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    I used Aeroquip for my 328 hoses...did lots of measurements. Go to 308/328 section sticky (http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/308-328/281516-interesting-3x8-technical-diy-threads.html) scroll down and review my RobzWorkz8 series if desired.

Aeroquip set up a small supply shop for individual orders (they have hose and AN fittings and tools to use for building/installation):

Plumbing Monkey -

Get your calipers and upgrade to PTFE or modern hose today. I used PTFE for my CIS and other hoses; I used multi-fuel (inc. ethanol mix) hose for some and SRI available hoses for the tank hoses.

15. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    Nice work!

16. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    +1

SS sleeving can mask a bunch of trouble and lead to "FIRE!"

17. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    When I purchased my car a neighbor who is a ferrari owner and had done a full service on his 308 offered to share all his sources for fuel and cooling lines. He spent a lot of time calling and finding sources for everything needed. I looked at his list of sources and called SRI. I have neither time or money for my Mondial but when push came to shove I had more money. :D

I remember trying to find lines for my oil cooler or find someone to fix it and there was time involved. We have some odd measured hoses in those engine bays.

18. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    #43 Rapalyea, Jul 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
    I have worries about ethanol fuel in my 1986 QV as well as from simple age. I have mechanical fuel injection and so decided to add 4-8 oz two cycle syntetic oil per tank just to slick up any moving surfaces the corosive fuel might encounter. The mechanic I bought the car from said he does something similar but uses Marvel Mystery oil.

This all sounds strange but I have added six thousand vigorous miles in the last year and the car now reads 50,000 total. So I do not plan to change my evil ways. But similarly do not actually recommend this practice.

PS: Of course the single most dangerous thing for any fluid system [coolant, clutch hydraulics, brakes etc] is let the fluid in question remain uncerculated and hydraulic seals remain unexercised.