348 throttle position sensor adjustment | FerrariChat

348 throttle position sensor adjustment

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ernie, Jul 10, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Time for another Stooge DIY.

First of all I would like to say thanks to whyte for giving me the specs for the throttle positions sensor resistance. I wanted to make sure both tps' where reading about the same numbers. The specs for the tps I got from whyte are:

1k Ω ohms at rest
    2.5k-2.8k Ω ohms at wide open throttle

At initial start up the Motronic ecu uses the initial readings it gets from the tps for calibrating the mapping. After it's calibrated the resting position, the Motronic bases wide open throttle on the initial reading plus anything over 72º. As far as I can figure this is why when the car is learning/re-learing the initial warm up parameters (after power has been cut to the ecu/s) why you should not touch anything for at least 10 minutes. The Motronic needs this time to learn all the values, and if you do something to changes those values it can cause the Motronic to set the parameters = an engine that doesn't run properly.

So..................

I decided to see where my tps' were set, and adjust them as needed.

2. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #2 ernie, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    When testing the tps I needed to test on different pins depending on what bank of cylinders I was on.

Looking in from the rear of the engine bay,
    On the right side of the engine (bank 1-4) pins 2 & 3 get tested.
    On the left side of the engine (bank 5-8) pins 1 & 2 get tested

You can also see in these pics my tps' are Bosch part number 0280122004.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #3 ernie, Jul 10, 2014
    When taking the readings for the tps at rest/closed I set the multimeter to 2k Ω.

My initial reading on the 5-8 bank, with the throttle closed, was 1.070Ω. In the ballpark but a little high for my liking. So I decided to adjust it to lower the resistance a tad closer to 1Ω even.

4. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #4 ernie, Jul 10, 2014
  5. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #5 ernie, Jul 10, 2014
    So I decided to remove the sensor so I could get to the screws under it, holding the mounting bracket to the throttle body.

With the tps screws removed I used a standard screw driver to pop the sensor off the mounting bracket.

6. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #6 ernie, Jul 10, 2014
    With the sensor out of the way I now had access to the bract screws. I loosened both screws, gave the bracket a twist, tightened down the screws, put the tps back on (with a twist) then took the resistance readings. With this adjustment I was able to get the resistance down to 1.034Ω. Better, but I wanted it as close to 1.000 as I could get.

I can't twist the bracket or the sensor anymore so now what?

7. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #7 ernie, Jul 10, 2014
  8. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #8 ernie, Jul 10, 2014
    Even though I got the resistance of the throttle position sensor down to 1.002Ω when closed I hadn't taken the wide open throttle readings at the same time.

D'OH!!!

I took the WOT reading and it was 2.48Ω, under the 2.5Ω spec. I made some small adjustments and tested again. Oh, when I took the resistance I set the multimeter to 20kΩ. Adjusted the sensor until I had it at 2.55Ω at WOT and around 1.04Ω closed, then made sure I had the other side adjusted to match.

9. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    There you have it kids, how I adjusted the throttle positions sensors on my 348, Stooge Style.

Happy wrenching.

10. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Did you notice any improvement?

11. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Not really.
    I wasn't having any problems per say, I just did it because I wanted both sides as balanced as possible. Sort of a "preventive" measure. However, whyte was having issues with how his car was idling. He adjusted his and did notice an improvement.

12. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    As usual, thanks a lot! Now I have something to do in the near future!

13. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    Brilliant as always! Your precision and excellence are second to none. Next time, though, fib a little and say you got 10 more hp on the dyno. Then you could sit back with a snifter of cognac while 2000 348 owners ran out to their garages with multimeters and screwdrivers in hand.

14. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #14 Wade, Jul 11, 2014
    :)

15. Lotus49c

Lotus49c Rookie

Jul 22, 2013
    Stratford on Avon UK
    Full Name:
    Colin Taylor
    Ernie, I followed your instructions exactly and it fixed my idle speed problem....so a big thank you !!
    The problem I had was the engine at idle would fluctuate from 1200rpm to 1500rpm when warmed up and of course made the engine run hotter and the fans come on and stay on in traffic jams etc. Nothing I did made any difference.....the butterflys were on their stops, no binds or sticking on the linkage and I even closed the bypass screws completely....still no good.
    So I got my meter and file out, followed your procedure, got the reading down to 1, cut the power to reset the ECU's, started the engine and 10 mins later the engine was idling at 900rpm.
    The fans don't come on so soon and they now switch off sooner.....so all smiles

PS, do you know if the seats in a 348 can be swopped left to right.....would be nice to do to even up the wear.
    Thanks again......Colin Taylor

ernie likes this.
  16. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Nice stuff Ernie. Keep it up!

17. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Nice!

Glad it helped

As for the seats swapping sides, I don't think so because of how the buckles are attached to the seats.

18. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Thanks Randy.

19. Lotus49c

Lotus49c Rookie

Jul 22, 2013
    Stratford on Avon UK
    Full Name:
    Colin Taylor
    Ernie,
    Looks like I spoke to soon....I've just taken the car out for about a 10 mile run and its reverted back to the way it was ...Ugh....seems as if Motronic has taken control of the idle again, fluctuating between 1200 and 1500....any ideas please......Colin

20. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #20 ernie, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
    Try swapping them from side to side.

You may also want to remove the idle air control valves and clean them out with some throttle body spray cleaner. Also check to make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks in the intake. Make sure that the vacuum tubes are in good shape and connected properly, that the hoses from the IACV are attached securely and aren't cracked, also check to make sure the nuts holding down the plenum to the runners are nice and snug, the same goes for the bolts holding the intake manifold to the heads.

21. Lotus49c

Lotus49c Rookie

Jul 22, 2013
    Stratford on Avon UK
    Full Name:
    Colin Taylor
    Hi Ernie,
    I checked out the things you suggested and I've really focussed in on the Idle air control valves. The workshop manual and handbook call them the Extra Air Valves and I'm assuming that's what you mean. The manual explains that they add extra air while the engine is warming up by bi passing the butterflys and giving air direct to the plenums. It also says the EAV's should have stopped working before you try to adjust the Idle speed. My question is, should they close completely, letting no more air in when to engine is up to temperature or just a reduced amount? Mine are still sucking air in, I know because I took the pipe off the inlet end and there was still a vacuum (both sides). The idle speed dropped to 900 with one side off and the engine stopped completely with both sides off. PS Ref the air bi pass screws, what's is a good start position for them eg 1 turn out or 2 etc. Thanks again.....Colin

22. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    The way I adjusted my idle was,

After the car had fully warmed up, and after I had taken it on a short drive, I unplugged the connectors from the Idle Air Control Valves/Extra Air Valves (as Ferrari calls them). I then screwed both air bypass screws all the way IN, and watched the tachometer to make sure the rpm didn't drop below 800rpm. Then a 1/4 turn at a time I unscrewed each bypass screw, on the side of the TB, until I had the rpm between 950-1000rpm. Plugged the IACV/EAVs back in and went for another short drive. After the drive I made sure the idle settled down to where I set it.

That is my Stooge way of adjusting the idle.

The proper process is explained in the shop manual, which I don't have in front of me. Something to the tune of using a manometer on both throttle bodies and balance the vacuum so it is even on both banks, then adjusting the idle speed. Again I don't have the manual in front of me so I can tell you exactly how they want it done.

23. Lotus49c

Lotus49c Rookie

Jul 22, 2013
    Stratford on Avon UK
    Full Name:
    Colin Taylor
    Ernie, I removed the Extra Air devises (IACV) and sprayed them, making sure they were free. I replaced them and secured the pipes etc.....the bottom line is that the start-up idle dropped to 850. Following warm up, I adjusted the bypass screws out 3 quarters of a turn and settled the idle at 950. I've since used the car a couple of times since and it starts well, idles well cold and hot. Fingers crossed, I think its sorted.....thanks very much.

ernie likes this.
  24. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Thanks for the update, and I'm glad it's working.

25. Lotus49c

Lotus49c Rookie

Jul 22, 2013
    Stratford on Avon UK
    Full Name:
    Colin Taylor
    Hi Ernie, can you help please....I have a fault with the side lights on my 348...they have stopped working from the lights stalk. but they come on when you press the parking light button. I've tried searching the database using 'side light fault' searches but got zero results. PS the head lights work ok from the stalk. Should I start a new thread. Thanks for any guidance.....Colin Taylor