What People Do When They See A Ferrari. | Page 13 | FerrariChat

What People Do When They See A Ferrari.

Discussion in '360/430' started by randomguy, Nov 25, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dadswrld

dadswrld Karting

Jan 4, 2010
    Toronto, Ont
    Full Name:
    JR
    Good on you sir! They look like kids who are forever glad they had a camera phone and met a owner who wasn't a ******!

2. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    The passion is great, for sure- well said!.....The things we have to put up with, not so....

3. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I never got a lot of attention in my 456M, even though it was rosso corsa, and the silver and black 308 GTS gets smiles and thumbs up, but it doesn't make people insane. The yellow 360 is another matter entirely. I'm seriously thinking of getting a dash cam. Maybe an aft cam too. Driving in the right lane seems to help, but so many people want to pass me just because. I let them go, because in a Ferrari - even an old and slow one - I have nothing to prove.

Cgk360 and eyeman1234 like this.
  4. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    How true! I can report the same things with my 328 GTS and F430!

Cgk360 and G. Pepper like this.
  5. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    First week of ownership an old drunk guy threw a bottle at my F430 while it was parked under his window. At car meets I can’t leave the car because people are all over it with their greasy fingers.

I learned something. Don’t leave the car unattended ever and have full control of the surroundings.

6. Cgk360

Cgk360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I generally get thumbs up while driving my Scud. More often than not, other cars get close because either the driver or a passenger is trying to get a pic or shoot a video of the car. I agree, act like a jerk and get treated like a jerk. There are more a**h***s when I'm riding my road bicycle. Brave when behind the wheel of their 2-ton car with me on my measly bike.

7. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    So far so good. I'm kind of surprised really. Most everyone is cool and most are just curious and want to ask about the car.

In traffic some bozos of course but most just cruise up pull in the clutch (or drop it in neutral) and rev their engine. Not anything like animosity so far. Even at traffic lights I get the "I'll trade you" remark. But all in good fun. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Even had a cop late at night pull up next to me at a light and shout at me "nice, you don't see many of those around (smiles)".

I agree with Chris, though. Open it up when there's not much traffic. Don't drive like a privileged jerk. And don't fulfill onlookers beliefs that you're just some rich ****** looking down your nose at everyone.

I often wonder if age of the guy behind the wheel matters (?) Are younger folks seen less favorably than an older guy. With the older guy behind the wheel perhaps some feel "Okay, someday when I'm his age..." But the younger folks it may be more like "how can he afford that and I can barely make my car payment every month" Just thinking out loud on that one. And for the record, I'm the older guy :)

Afonsolaw and dang2407 like this.
  8. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    Had my 360 Spider at a couple car meets before the cold weather moved in and have had a few times where I have seen kids standing next to it with huge grins while their parents take a picture. I always walk up and ask if they want a picture sitting in the car which makes their day, and mine to see their faces light up. I grew up incredibly poor and had always wanted a Ferrari as a child and to make at least a couple kids dreams of sitting in one true is worth it to me.

Now, right after I got it my 13 year old son was begging me to pick him up at school in it but I told him that would only happen when he had all A's, since I knew he was capable. It was a great motivator since he had straight A's next report card and he thought he was king turd of poo hill when I picked him up in car line!

fc2 and bball16 like this.
  9. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    Lol king turd of poo hill! As much as I dislike California, it’s sort of nice how sports cars are common enough that like on Ferrari Fridays I drive it to work, gym, Safeway, leave it sitting out, whatever I get some comments and thumbs up type stuff but really nothing negative.

10. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Agree 100%. I was at this mansion party in the Hamptons on LI and they let me park out front on the lawn. I go in the back for a bit to grab some food and socialize and when I come back there was a photo session going on with my car. After they all scattered, I had arm, hand, fingerprints all over my car. Everywhere! Even what looked to me as being a butt print on the door.
    The poor guy with the 360 Spider next to me actually had people in and out of his car. I don’t get it.
    I will gladly let someone sit in my car for a pic, but please ask!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whatheheck, bball16 and G. Pepper like this.
  11. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    Prior to my 360 I had a 1998 Lotus Esprit twin turbo which I had in a local car show/cruise in. I had walked away to grab something to eat and came back to a man sitting in my car and showing people "his" car. I walked up and calmly asked him about the car, what it had in it, and what he paid for it. He had zero idea about the car, said he got it from his brother and then proceeded to ask a lady if she wanted to sit in it. At that point I had had enough and lit into him, some of it not fit for print on this forum. I seriously do NOT get the mindset of people and other people's property these days. Now, I leave the windows and top up, with the car locked at all times. Still gets my blood pressure going to this day.

bball16 and djempire like this.
  12. Cgk360

Cgk360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    There is a common theme here: poor Car show behavior. I taught my kids from the time they could walk and talk, no touching the cars and as you approach them, keep your hands behind your back. That way the temptation to touch is reduced. There should be a "Do's and Don'ts" with show announcements. I know our local get together we also have to remind the attending owners to refrain from excessive revving and burnouts, etc. since we are often in residential neighborhoods. Despite this there seems to always be some dope who does it anyway. Probably can't read anyway

shawdut, whatheheck and Labman like this.
  13. HIO Silver

HIO Silver Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2016
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Alonso C.
    ... cruising at about 70 mph, the passenger of an SUV opened his window, projected his torso from the SUV, and proceeded to take selfies with my 01 Spider and me in the background.

14. gaxor

gaxor Rookie

Jul 19, 2017
    Surrey - UK
    2 Days ago traffic police pull up next to me in my F430 at the lights, I pull away and nail the speed at 70mph which was the limit on that road. Next lights pulls up again next to me, again I'm first away, nail it at 50mph, (lower speed limit here). Traffic police then pass me with huge grins and thumbs up signs from both cops.

15. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    Here is my list :
    1) Cars speeding up to take a look.
    2) Cars/trucks trying to keep up
    3) People taking photos.
    4) Teen with mother walking in cross walk turns around and gives a thumbs up. I wave to him.
    5) Guy in an early 80s blue cargo van speeds up and cuts in front and almost loses control of the van; it was pretty funny.
    6) People thinking I am sexier than my normal sexy.

I can understand the behaviour, at least some of it, as I have done that.

16. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    You are gutsy, I'd be afraid the cop is having a bad day or doesn't like exotic cars/owners.

17. Robby

Robby Rookie

Dec 17, 2017
    Full Name:
    Robby P
    The negativity towards receiving attention is confusing to me... you bought a Ferrari, you likely have some level of intelligence and common sense right? So why are some of you acting surprised and annoyed that your extremely rare vehicle is receiving attention? Most of us chose one of these cars due to the fact that it does command attention and is a standout from the norm. That may not have been the majority of the reason to choose a Ferrari but to some extent I think it was some portion of the decision to buy an elite vehicle vs. one of the many more common and better performing options at this price range. I don't believe people have a negative reaction to the car, I think they have a negative stereotype of the person in the drivers seat. At the end of the day no one really gives a s**t about you or what you have (or appear to have). Ive had several "head turners" and I personally love the attention, I love making positive memorable experiences for others. Hopefully seeing, or sitting in a Ferrari is not going to be the highlight of there life but maby at that moment it helps someone more than you would know. When given the opportunity to have a positive impact it is your duty to do so. Don't be an a**hole, the world has plenty of them already.

KC360 FL, Cgk360, dvb247 and 2 others like this.
  18. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino

Ron.....It's been a while since I thought about that story. I remember that night!

19. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    It's been a while since I've seen this thread. The CS must be getting better looking as the years pass, because the cell phone pics and videos have been massively on the rise. It always amazes me how fast people will drive to get 'that shot'. I'm usually doing 20 mph faster than the traffic. Most everyone moves over, and when I see someone weaving through traffic, I'll move out of the left lane to let them through, but they usually just slow down for a pic. It is a pretty car.... I would probably do the same thing...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

bball16 likes this.
  20. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    +1 I always try to pass it on. Anyone that comes up and takes a look at it, I always ask if they would like to sit in it. As a kid this would of made my day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. KM1959

KM1959 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I was at a huge Mercedes dealer the other day as they had a red F430 GTB for sale that a friend was interested in. It was inside the showroom door with an AMG GT, Huracan, and a Z06 immediately outside. The only car people were praising was the F430. "It's s timeless design", "Gorgeous", "The one the others wish they were". EVERY salesman commented that the Ferrari was the one they'd wish for. When the salesman couldn't figure out how to move it I gave him instructions. He asked how I knew all this and I admitted I had one too. Immediately I was the cool guy. Three dressed to kill salesman offered me coffee, soda, water, and others began asking all sorts of Ferrari ownership questions. I went from wannebe Mercedes dreamer in shorts to laidback rich dude in a second.

efg2014, Need4Spd and G. Pepper like this.
  22. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    That's really cool. I love it when stuff like that happens. :)

23. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I visited my piano teacher (91 years old) at her rest home. I gave her a ride around the block in my car, then dropped her off right at the entrance for all to see. When I asked her if she wanted me to give any of her friends a ride, she said, "No". When I asked why not, she said, "I want to be the only girl here who has ridden in a Ferrari!". Priceless!

24. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    Great post. I get that when driving the f-car and I react the same way when I see a like-kind awesome car

25. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Yeah. They’re always shocked when I offer to let them sit in the car, without them asking. Especially kids (but only if they’re with their parents). Obviously I exercise some discretion, but I talk to them and get a feel for who they are first.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app