I Need Your Help - Someone is Using my F40 as Fraud Bait! | FerrariChat

I Need Your Help - Someone is Using my F40 as Fraud Bait!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Steve, Jul 14, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steve

Steve Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Jenkins
    I've posted details on my blog here:

Fraud Alert: Mark Raider of Rogclassics in Ely, Nevada is using my Ferrari F40 as Bait | Steve Jenkins' Blog

Mark Raider of Rogclassics in Ely, Nevada has my F40 listed on LA Craigslist for sale for $545,000. But it's not for sale, and it's not on a truck as he claims.

Please read my blog article for details, and email thread, and details of the phone call I had with Mark when I called him on his fraud.

I will be calling the Ely police next, but here’s where you can help.

Call Mark Raider at Rogclassics in Ely, Nevada at (775) 473-4430 extension 3 and ask him why he’s trying to sell Steve Jenkins’ Ferrari F40.

The police will likely do nothing, but I'm hoping we can teach Mark a lesson that he shouldn't try to sell cars that don't belong to him.

So please call him right now, and then leave a comment below telling me how the phone call went!

I’ll update this thread as more happens. Thank you in advance for your help!

2. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Wow! There's a name I haven't seen in a million years...

Hope you get this straightened out!

3. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Steve,
    I called and was immediately transferred to his voice mail. I left him a message inquiring about the vehicle and if he has complete service records and ownership history. I also mentioned that I was intrigued simply because the car is listed as being several $100k below market value and I am a cash buyer. I mentioned nothing about you so lets see if he bites.

Gregg

4. Steve

Steve Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Jenkins
    LOL - mine, or Mark Raider's? ;)

5. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    LOL! Yours, Steve.

Oh - and I was kinda surprised the Craigslist posting is still up. Went ahead and flagged it for you. :)

6. Steve

Steve Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Jenkins
    I want the posting to stay up -- I've reported it to the FBI and hope it stays up for them to see it. :)

7. RJuan

RJuan Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2013
    Are you sure? Did he ask for a deposit? I called him and he said that he never ask for a deposit??? He never asked for anything ? He said that the F40 arrives on Wednesday and that there has been a mix up with the vin #.He makes appointments to view the car this Thursday, so why would he do that? I think that is just some misunderstanding. If he is right, I think there is a big law suit coming Steves way, good luck !

8. Steve

Steve Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Jenkins
    He also claimed to me that it's a mix up. So I told him he could easily clear it up by providing me the proper VIN. He assured me that is the VIN, and that there must be some mistake.

He also continues to swear it's coming from Washington State. I asked that since he was using my VIN, he could easily clear it up by telling me the actual seller of the car, which he could not do.

The address he's using on the "Contact Us" website is a house if you look it up on Google Maps (753 Avenue N, Ely Nevada).

This thing has fraud written all over it. I've already reporting him to the FBI and now the Ely police. If he stops using my VIN and starts providing the actual VIN, then I'll update my blog post and apologize for causing a ruckus.

9. RJuan

RJuan Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2013
    right after you destroyed his reputation, I am pretty sure an apology will do, NOT!

10. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Raider is destroying his own reputation.

11. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Many years ago there was a fellow by the name of Gordon Tatum in Rockville, MD who played this same game. Some cars he had in house, others he didn't. After doing some hard time, Gordon disappeared. He didn't have the modern tools to do a really bad job but, bad job he did do. Interesting how these things evolve.

12. Steve

Steve Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Jenkins
    Lies ruin reputations. I've done nothing but told the truth. If it's a mix-up, that's very easy to fix... with the truth.

His ad is now updated to say "This is not the F40 from Steve Jenkins ( or similar name) the owners name is Jack !"

I've called the dealership in Seattle, WA and in Portland, OR. Neither service department knows of any F40s in either state owned by any "Jack."

Red flag #1: The asking price of the car is insanely too low.

Red flag #2: They share the VIN of a Washington-based car, claiming it's coming from Washington, and I can certify that the car is not for sale.

Red flag #3: When confronted with the fact that their VIN is not accurate, they cannot provide a corrected VIN.

Red flag #4: Their business name is unknown to anyone at the White Pine County offices in Ely, Nevada.

Red flag #5: Their street address on their contact form shows what looks like a residential house. And at the risk of sounding judgemental, it doesn't look like the kind of house you'd go to in order to shop for an F40.

Red flag #6: The Sheriff's deputy I spoke with in Ely, Nevada informed me that there are no known car dealers in the city. He is currently investigating this case.

So, RJuan. How many red flags do you need before your spider sense tingles enough to call this what it is: a fraud who got called on it. And when he did, he forgot the #1 rule when you find yourself in a hole: stop digging.

He can "stop digging" by doing one of two things:

1) Admit fault and apologize to me for using my car as fraud bait.

2) Provide the "corrected" VIN for the car owned by mystery man "Jack." I can easily verify the VIN via a number of sources (the White Pine County Sheriff's deputy informed me he'd also be happy to verify the VIN).

Do you have any affiliation with Rogclassics, RJuan? You seem very quick to jump to their defense.

If this really is "all just a mix up," then the actual VIN can solve it. If anyone is able to make contact with this seller and obtain the VIN of the car he claims to be selling, we can put the mystery to rest.

13. paulyp

paulyp Karting

Dec 11, 2011
    Dallas
    Google the phone number...

14. FerrariWA

FerrariWA Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2004
    Seattle/London
    Full Name:
    Thomas Summerfield
    Yes, very odd that you would jump to their defense and reference so much interaction between Steve (a very respected member of FChat) and the crook.

15. Steve

Steve Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Jenkins
    Looks like he's also selling a La Ferrari!

Classified: Ferrari La Ferrari

Same phone number, but posted in a classifieds section for Binghampton New York.

The red flags keep on popping up.

16. RJuan

RJuan Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2013
    Yes I am the bad guy now WTF????????????????????????????????
    It just does not make sense?? Fraud without money involved ? Why make all this work for what? Oh wait I got it now. Mark Raider works with all the Travel Agencies together and gets percentage when people come to look at the car, right? Than he says, sorry it is sold, maybe next time. I am sure that is how he makes Millions ! Ha haha

17. RJuan

RJuan Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2013
    Yes and it says , NOT FOR THE US MARKET ! You are not the smartest are you? Hey you insulted me, here you have it back Gringo.

18. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    RJuan banned for 48 hours for a personal attack.

Mike

19. FerrariWA

FerrariWA Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2004
    Seattle/London
    Full Name:
    Thomas Summerfield
    I thought about that too, maybe he is just trying to boost Ely tourism!

20. paulyp

paulyp Karting

Dec 11, 2011
    Dallas
    Or it might be the David Kohler who appears to share (or used to have) that number.

21. Steve

Steve Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Jenkins
  22. Steve

Steve Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Jenkins
    No money's involved... yet. But I wouldn't be surprised to learn that "oh, the truck is a day late," or "oops - someone else bought it, but if you give me a deposit I can get another one for you, etc."

An F40 for $500K is too good to be true. Common sense says it's a scam.

I'm really curious to see what Thursday brings.

I updated my blog post with the complete thread from the original individual who brought this to my attention. Mark claims its not just on the way from Washington... but Seattle. It's a REALLY small club of F40 owners in Seattle. And none of us are selling. So I'm supposed to believe that a mystery F40 has existed here in this city, without the dealership knowing about, without any other F40 owners knowing about it, or any of my other car buddies knowing about it?

23. Steve

Steve Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Jenkins
    I appreciate the swift moderator action, Mike.

I'd like to request some mercy for RJuan. He sounds young and hot-headed (we've all been there) and I've got thick enough skin that his comments don't really bother me. And even if they did, I'm not one to escalate a flame war by returning fire.

If you feel inclined to reduce his ban to 24 hours, I'd support the action.

24. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Done.

Mike

25. bnels2348

bnels2348 Karting

Jul 26, 2006
    South Valley, UT
    Full Name:
    B
    HA! If Ely had a population above 5,000 people... Maybe I'll go wait because "I'm so excited to see the car arrive" and I want to dibs it at that price.
    Sorry this is happening what an annoyance.