What to know and or ask seller when buying a TR | FerrariChat

What to know and or ask seller when buying a TR

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by LilDavy, Jul 15, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LilDavy

LilDavy Rookie

Jul 15, 2014
    Hello,

While I don't own a Ferrari nor will I have the money to afford one soon, I do have a best friend that does. I work for him part time and I get to do various "projects" that he trusts no one else to do. That said, we are looking to purchase a TR or 512TR. We are likely leaning towards the 512TR as we feel this is a better investment based on "collectability" per se.

He and I have purchased many cars together (mostly American classics) over the years ( I find them, research them, inspect them and he writes the checks - then I take care of them once they are "home". ) He does have an 07 F430 Spyder in his collection, which is his only exotic, but he bought that through his broker so I didn't get involved in that one.

What should I ask when inquiring to sale ads for vintage Ferrari's? I know a big thing is when the last engine-out service was performed and when the belts were replaced. How often (mileage) should the belts be replaced? What else is imperative to know for these cars?

What should I be cautious of?

I do have one question regarding the rear engine lid. I see that some of the lids are color matched to the body color and some are black. I'm referring to the "cap" piece (sorry don't know what it is technically called). Was the color of this piece an option? Why are some painted the body color while others are black? For example, I've seen red TRs with a red "cap" while other TRs have a black "cap" on the rear engine lid. Can someone clarify this for me?

Thanks in advance.

LiDavy

2. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    G'day,if your mate is looking at the rear engine V12,make sure it comes with a spare diff or 2.

3. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    Spend time here and read, read, read. Use the search engine, it's pretty decent. We will help you with questions, but you must do a certain amount of the legwork yourself. These are complicated/uncomplicated cars depending on your skillsets. Read the parts crossover thread, it addresses many of the common issues and is very educational.
    Ownership can be terribly rewarding, but set a a few bucks aside each year for future potential service or "oh sh*t" moment.

4. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Is this useful information Simon ?

Do as Okiedude says Davy .... there are so many threads about TR and 512TR or ... ask us ! :)

5. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #5 vincenzo, Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
    Ask about getting a PPI. Their reply will give you a good insight. if they;

Won't allow it -- walk
    Stall -- walk, something is fishy
    Let anybody do it -- they don't care about the car
    Only allow an F-car dealer -- likely a reasonable seller
    Only allow their specified independent -- depends on the shop - may be good (or not)

BTW - the PPI is a must

Rgds,
    Vincenzo

6. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes
    I joined Fchat about 2 years before I made my purchase decision. I read lots of threads and learned a lot about the car's strengths and weaknesses. I began my search and looked at a few cars through dealers. I eventually found a car from an individual and made my purchase. The seller had recently paid for an engine out service on the car. I stopped by the dealership that sold the car new and had serviced it for years. They made me copies of all service records back to the delivery date. I paid for an engine out service and timing belt and tensioner replacement and new water pump shortly after I purchased the car. Other than that and a few upgrades over the years I have had a trouble free cat.

Do your home work. Learn about the cars. Get a PPI on the car. Request past service records, books, tools, etc. be prepared to do a complete engine out service soon after you buy it.

The early Testarossa had a body colored engine cover referred to as a "Chicklet" sometimes. The 512TR had a black engine cover that was a different design. It was integrated into the rear deck louvers that are painted black.