308 gt4 tires | FerrariChat

308 gt4 tires

Discussion in '308/328' started by ossa, Jul 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ossa

ossa Rookie

Oct 27, 2007
    I have a "driver" 308 gt4 that is finally running pretty well after a 6 year ordeal of having the engine rebuilt and problems with the transmission rectified- the latter was due to a bad set of transfer gears sold by a well know used Ferrari parts retailer in the Southwest United States.

When finally driving it home from the shop I noticed a severe vibration from the front end : the tires are pretty much shot. The tires on the car are Yokohama A 008 225 60 HR 14's which where an excellent tire back in the day - the "day" for these tires being 1996 (!) based on the date of manufacture on the sidewall.

I am going to replace the tires and I know this has been addressed numerous times before. I am not going to pay outrageous prices for XWX tires, nor am I going to buy 16 inch rims at this time, so that leaves only the Goodrich Radial T/A in 225 60 S 14- with only an S speed rating.

Alternately Nankang Cx668 makes a 205 70 H 14-the original equipment size for the car- which I am favoring at the moment. I know this tire has been mentioned in previous threads but has anyone actually ever bought a set?

I'm going to use the car as a couple times a week daily driver......I seldom go much over 100 mph in any car, and probably won't in this one either.

For what it's worth, I called Goodrich and they basically told me over the phone to go with the Nankang over the Radial T/A, as they didn't recommend going more than one speed range below what the car was originally equipped with and they don't manufacture an H rated tire that would fit that rim (nor is one sold by anyone else in the USA). I am aware that the speed rating speaks not only the highest sustained speed the tire should be used at, but also the sidewall stiffness and type/number plies in the construction of the tire.

I'm getting the Nankang tires mounted tomorrow....so if you have an opinion speak now or forever hold your peace! Actually at less than $60 dollars a tire they're practically disposable....so if they truly are awful I can try to find another solution. I do have some gaudy Gotti 16 inch wheels someplace I could resurrect if I have to.

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Are you sure about the "60 series"???

All my info reflects a "70" series and I once had the Goodyear warehouse check the dimensions on a 60, and say "not good"..

I stand by my FULDA tires in the stock OEM size..14/205 VR70 or something like that.

Not always available, but produced periodically and I air freight them, from the Goodyear/FULDA plant in Germany

3. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Rolling around town the speed rating is "no big deal", it is for sustained use (one hour or more) AT SPEED that the testing is made.

But, knowing lawyers and insurance companies during a claim, that is a very personal decision one should make for themselves

4. ossa

ossa Rookie

Oct 27, 2007
    Fulda no longer makes tires for 14 inch rims. It's not even an option on their web page.

5. ossa

ossa Rookie

Oct 27, 2007
    Correction: They don't make a 205 or 225 with any aspect ratio in a 14 inch size.

6. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I'm sponsored by Goodyear, a global marketing rep worked on my case.

It might have changed recently but let me see if I can get a Product Code # off of what I have.

Air freight was crazy of course, I always wanted them to stock them in the US warehouse (big one here in Houston)

7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    FULDA Carat Assuro...something like that...

Next stop the front of my garage (this WON'T be easy!)

8. Lorzen

Lorzen Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2011
    NYC Metro
    Congratulations on getting your Dino GT4 sorted!

True the XWX are a little pricey, but it does not sound like you will wear them out, so it should be a one time buy for you, the ride and handling is phenomenal and well worth the $$$.

Or consider the less expensive Vredestein Sprint Classics 205/70/VR14 tires?

Best of luck...and please post some pictures! :D

9. 1974gt4

1974gt4 Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 19, 2009
    in my garage...
    Full Name:
    Dr. Italiani
    sumitomo, check them out.

10. WazzaT

WazzaT Karting

Oct 27, 2012
    australia
    Full Name:
    wazza t

11. E-Dino

E-Dino Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2012
    San Diego
    +1

I had those on my old 14s and I liked them.

12. ossa

ossa Rookie

Oct 27, 2007
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news: Sumitomo no longer makes any H rated tires that would fit our rims. In fact, I can't find any 225 60 14 or 205 70 14 Sumitomos with any speed rating currently sold in the US.

13. aero

aero Formula Junior

May 8, 2011
    the netherlands
    Full Name:
    Emil Dubbelman

14. ossa

ossa Rookie

Oct 27, 2007
    1 (one) Michelin XWX - 205VR14: $450

1 (one) Vredestein Sprint Classics 205/70/VR14 tires: $275

4 (four) Nankang Cx668 205/70/HR14: $218!

15. ossa

ossa Rookie

Oct 27, 2007
    The other thing: to my eye the XWX looks too tall and balloon like: in this size its diameter is 26.8 inches

versus 25.3 for the 205/70 14 tire, and 24.63 for the 225/60 14

16. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Congrats on sorting the gt4. I'm jealous. But no matter your rubber you will be happy. Drive it well

PICTURES. please

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Congrats on sorting the gt4. I'm jealous. But no matter your rubber you will be happy. Drive it well

PICTURES. please

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    This is a question we all face, most go with the sixteens unless showing as the fourteens are either hyper pricey or low performance.
    No right answer.

Pics please.

19. ossa

ossa Rookie

Oct 27, 2007
    Frustration. I had the Nankang tires installed on my rims - I brought the shop the wheels only- and the adhesive weights I requested interfere with the wishbones in the rear and the brake rotor shield in the front. There isn't any clearance for adhesive weights in these cars -I guess that's why the inside surfaces of the rims are always buggered up from clip on weights. There's also a galvanic corrosion thing that seems to happen between the clip on weight and the alloy of the rim itself. The shop is now closed I have to take all the wheels off again and bring them back after the weekend.
    As to the Nankang 205/70 14's I'll keep you posted. I can tell you already I don't like the look of the car with the stock tire size- the tires look too skinny and tall. The car had an aggressive stance with the 225/60 14's and was almost 3/4 inch lower overall. Now it has a spindly butt up in the air look to it. Not attractive in a car.

20. italcarguy

italcarguy Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Full Name:
    Anthony Rimicci
    These are good. You can get them in a 205/70-14 for $103.00 each.

Michelin*Defender

21. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Tires are the biggest improvement you can make on any car's handling. On cars like these it seems a bit of a false economy to go with minivan tires.

22. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Speed Rating "T" = 118MPH

23. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    BT while they're rated for any likely speed a car of that vintage is apt to hit there are other performance related qualities, such as responsiveness, which these tires tend to lack. Qualities that tend to come only with higher rated performance rubber.

24. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Hi

I am surprised people consider anything other than 205/70VR14 Michelin XWX it's such an important part of the car for the handling and aesthetics. (there are other little details to consider like saftey) but nothing will handle like the XWX. It is the only genuine period tyre in the size. in other words it is the only tyre with a carcase designed to suit cars like yours. other tyres are simply tyres that happen to be that size they have nothing to do with a Ferrari 308 GT 4.

25. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The Falken brand is owned by Sumitomo (iirc they also own Dunlop these days). They have 205 70 14 in the UK with an H rating. I'm sure they have US distribution; whether at those dims I don't know.